Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 46

Thread: How can we best show our support to the beleaguered Ashley?

  1. #16
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Belgium
    Posts
    1,125
    I really wish there was a way to let Ashley know there's a LOT of people that support her. Ever since the hate & death threats on Twitter, I've felt miserable as a fan. Her lifetime dream of skating at the Olympics is about to be fulfilled but people seem set on turning it into a nightmare for her. That's just awful. I still think she's an underdog for a bronze, but more than that, I hate that people are writing her off altogether, like if she can't get a medal at the Olympics her skating career is over. And that's not at all the case.
    For one I hope she gets to skate in the Team Event. It'll (hopefully) be a good 'icebreaker' to get used to Olympic spotlights. I assume Gracie & Ashley will both skate, one of them SP and one of them LP? At least I'm really hoping for that. That way, individual medal or not, she (and Gracie for that matter) will have a good shot at an Olympic medal.
    Other than that, I don't think Ashley will retire after the Olympics. She'll definitely go to Worlds, especially if she didn't get an individual medal. Without Yu Na, Carolina, Mao... (assuming they will retire after worlds, which, other than Yu Na, is not sure yet?), Ashley will have a great shot at a medal. Of course the Russian girls and Gracie will be tough competition, but Ashley has beaten all of them before, multiple times even.

    I hope practice is going well for her. The triple-triple looked pretty solid earlier in the season, hopefully she can get it back. Most of all, I hope she's got the fire in her belly and the confidence to match going into Sochi. I hope she's not paying attention to petitions (I think most of the people who signed it have no real clue as to the selection criteria etc) and the ludicrous stuff about racism.

    I think her SP looks awesome, it's original and it suits her. Samson & Delilah was a great program for her and if she skates it with confidence, like she did several times last season, it's an absolute treasure. She's a great personality and I really hope the Americans appreciate having such a strong skater in their team - ranked third in the world and with several gold medals in her pocket (Us Belgians have only Jorik in the Men's even to root for - great guy though he is)

    Sorry for the kind of stream-of-thoughts kind of reply. This has taken up so much 'brooding time' for me since Nationals and I feel like I really needed a moment to let it all out

  2. #17
    축복, 축도 RABID's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    444
    Quote Originally Posted by Trewyn View Post
    I really wish there was a way to let Ashley know there's a LOT of people that support her. Ever since the hate & death threats on Twitter, I've felt miserable as a fan. Her lifetime dream of skating at the Olympics is about to be fulfilled but people seem set on turning it into a nightmare for her. That's just awful. I still think she's an underdog for a bronze, but more than that, I hate that people are writing her off altogether, like if she can't get a medal at the Olympics her skating career is over. And that's not at all the case.
    For one I hope she gets to skate in the Team Event. It'll (hopefully) be a good 'icebreaker' to get used to Olympic spotlights. I assume Gracie & Ashley will both skate, one of them SP and one of them LP? At least I'm really hoping for that. That way, individual medal or not, she (and Gracie for that matter) will have a good shot at an Olympic medal.
    Other than that, I don't think Ashley will retire after the Olympics. She'll definitely go to Worlds, especially if she didn't get an individual medal. Without Yu Na, Carolina, Mao... (assuming they will retire after worlds, which, other than Yu Na, is not sure yet?), Ashley will have a great shot at a medal. Of course the Russian girls and Gracie will be tough competition, but Ashley has beaten all of them before, multiple times even.

    I hope practice is going well for her. The triple-triple looked pretty solid earlier in the season, hopefully she can get it back. Most of all, I hope she's got the fire in her belly and the confidence to match going into Sochi. I hope she's not paying attention to petitions (I think most of the people who signed it have no real clue as to the selection criteria etc) and the ludicrous stuff about racism.

    I think her SP looks awesome, it's original and it suits her. Samson & Delilah was a great program for her and if she skates it with confidence, like she did several times last season, it's an absolute treasure. She's a great personality and I really hope the Americans appreciate having such a strong skater in their team - ranked third in the world and with several gold medals in her pocket (Us Belgians have only Jorik in the Men's even to root for - great guy though he is)

    Sorry for the kind of stream-of-thoughts kind of reply. This has taken up so much 'brooding time' for me since Nationals and I feel like I really needed a moment to let it all out
    I haven't seen everything on the net and I for one only know what is said on social media as a side consequence from reading about it but I am going to go out on a limb and say most of the ugliness is coming not from fans of figure skating but from non-fans. Fans are passionate but at least they are informed, to varying degrees. I think Ashley understands that.

  3. #18
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    9,490
    I can't imagine the mentality of people who would send death threats to a young girl who has done nothing but skate in competitions.

    I hope Ashley is made aware of the support she has not just from Ashley fans but from skate fans. Maybe the way to do it is to communicate with her coach or her facility, either electronically or by snail mail.

  4. #19
    Rinkside
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    14
    this thread reminds me there are good people out there. we should hope for everyone to skate to the BEST of their abilities, and let the 'chips fall where they may' as Kristi Yamaguchi's coach said.

  5. #20
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    378
    Great post, Trewyn. I hope Ashley knows a lot of fans are wishing her all the best luck in Sochi

  6. #21
    Celebrating the Excellence of #VirtueMoir golden411's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    4,412
    Quote Originally Posted by Trewyn View Post
    I really wish there was a way to let Ashley know there's a LOT of people that support her. ...
    There is. It's called social media. Supporters, as well as critics, have used social media platforms to express their feelings.

    Many hundreds have retweeted and favorited the tweets that Wagner posted on Jan 12 and Jan 15 about being chosen for the Olympic team. The same posts on her Facebook page have received many hundreds of likes.

    Example: 765 retweets and 1572 favorites for this one (plus 1183 likes on Facebook).

    @AshWagner2010
    It's been a long 4 years to this point. I'm so proud and incredibly grateful that I'll be representing my country at the Olympics in Sochi!
    https://twitter.com/AshWagner2010/st...17557006876672 (Jan 12)

    Plenty of supportive comments for Wagner on social media too ... as well as some non-supportive ones, unfortunately.

    (Although Wagner said that she intended to take a break from social media, she already changed her mind once and sent the Jan 15 tweets. And just because she has not been posting on Twitter and Facebook does not mean that she is not quietly looking at comments. ETA: Or someone could keep tabs on her social media accounts on her behalf, and pass along a general sense of the volume of favorable comments as well as some good examples. It would be an excellent little project for an intern for her agent or one of her sponsors, for example.)

    Quote Originally Posted by Olympia View Post
    I can't imagine the mentality of people who would send death threats to a young girl who has done nothing but skate in competitions.

    I hope Ashley is made aware of the support she has not just from Ashley fans but from skate fans. Maybe the way to do it is to communicate with her coach or her facility, either electronically or by snail mail.
    Not disagreeing with you at all, Olympia. What I'm about to say is NOT intended to discourage anyone from sending old-fashioned snail mail or e-mail.

    But let's not kid ourselves that snail mail and e-mail are inherently more "pure" or uplifting than social media. Critics also can and do use snail mail and e-mail to send nasty messages to their targets.

    Social media platforms are double-edged swords in that negative comments are visible to everyone -- as are positive comments.

    Quote Originally Posted by Memelah711 View Post
    For Twitter, all you have to do is sign and start tweeting. Sadly, I have seem some nasty comments on her Twitter and photos she has posted

    I didn't know she had a tumblr, I will have to check it out.
    Wagner's tumblr: ashwagner2010.tumblr.com

    She does not have many posts on tumblr. The most recent one was Nov 2013.
    (The account really is hers. I remember that @ashwagner2010 tweeted the link when she first joined tumblr.)

    Quote Originally Posted by skateluvr View Post
    I am now a tweeter, and have sent a good tweet to her. ... Anyway, it is easy to sign up and easy to use.
    Good for you, skateluvr.
    (Off topic: Do you realize that Mao88 has done you a favor and posted videos of Canadian Nats? http://www.goldenskate.com/forum/sho...os-amp-Results )

    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

    MODS, a small request for you:
    Would love for you to fix skateluvr's typo in "beleaguered" in the thread title. Thx --from the spelling "police."

  7. #22
    In search of a summer sport to love <3 desertskates's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Valley of the Sun
    Posts
    543
    I just tweeted (or twit? lol) today. Any little bit of positivity in that jumble of bashing on her account has to help a little. I really just wish people would be more aware of the reasons she was selected, and wish her well.

  8. #23
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    311
    Quote Originally Posted by desertskates View Post
    I just tweeted (or twit? lol) today. Any little bit of positivity in that jumble of bashing on her account has to help a little. I really just wish people would be more aware of the reasons she was selected, and wish her well.
    I agree, they don't get that the nationals isn't the sole criteria any more, and Ashley is the better choice overall, more consistent and better results which was the main criteria, and not make it about one skater being victimized. The hype now that I see Gracie Gold receive worries me, because it sounds like people think she can win a medal even a gold, and I can't help but think that these expectations are way too high and even if Gracie does her absolute best, people will be disappointed.

  9. #24
    Celebrating the Excellence of #VirtueMoir golden411's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    4,412
    Quote Originally Posted by golden411 View Post
    MODS, a small request for you:
    Would love for you to fix skateluvr's typo in "beleaguered" in the thread title. Thx --from the spelling "police."
    Thank you, mods.

  10. #25
    Le Patineur et sa Petite Lulu
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    146
    She was gifted a spot for the Olympic Games over a better skater. How much support does she need ?

  11. #26
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    311
    Quote Originally Posted by kzarah View Post
    She was gifted a spot for the Olympic Games over a better skater. How much support does she need ?
    Wow. Seriously? This is the kind of attitude that is the reason she needs support. First off, who you think is a better skater is entirely a matter of opinion. Secondly, Ashley had better results than Mirai and that's why she was chosen. She wasn't gifted it, her competition results earned it. People are saying her fifth place at Worlds was a letdown, will anything Ashley does be good enough any more? She needs suppoprt because she's taking the heat for a decision she had no part in making.

  12. #27
    and... World Peace! Tonichelle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Kenai, AK
    Posts
    18,659
    Quote Originally Posted by RABID View Post
    I haven't seen everything on the net and I for one only know what is said on social media as a side consequence from reading about it but I am going to go out on a limb and say most of the ugliness is coming not from fans of figure skating but from non-fans. Fans are passionate but at least they are informed, to varying degrees. I think Ashley understands that.
    I've seen some pretty ugly things even here thrown at Ashley by "fans" of skating. Former skaters have also chimed in at first attacking Ashley personally for "taking" the spot, and then retracting their original statements to try and save face. But, yes, there's a lot of haterz that don't follow the sport as well.

  13. #28
    Custom Title skateluvr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    2,584

    Spelling police

    Thank you Golden, Mao tried to pm me but I cannot delete enough pms -the computer has issues and only my busy brother 4,000 miles away to remote log in -it is constant. Usually a misspell, or typo which is the problem with my weak fingers get underlined in red. I took a guess and no underline. Does that not work in title?

    Can I mention a misspell? our dear poster 'Kwanisalegand'- I think Legend is E but did not feel it was polite to point of spelling, grammar, caps because people often post quickly and maybe don't have great spellcheck. Many from other countries. I don't mind you asking. My pm box is full, and when I tried to delete, the little donut just went round endlessly. Oh for a computer expert. I live that screen name, and notice it every time.

    As far as topic of Ashley, I did tweet, but then read Ashley took a break from Social media due to the hate. Maybe her family reads here, and will see I and others are caring about her, appreciate her skating, and believe she can even medal if she skates her best and stars align.

    Thank you Mao88, I will be heading for Canadian Nationals thread. I did find some recently...it took a long time for people to post those skates. You are so good to us Mao, and everyone thanks you. You are a good PR for Mao and I hope your favorite skates as well as she can!

  14. #29
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    131
    Oh, she'll be fine. She's still making more than any of us will make in our lifetimes, so even if she bombs at the Olympics, let's not get ourselves too worked up over the "tragedy" of her situation.

  15. #30
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Murrysville, PA
    Posts
    219
    I missed the exhibition gala and wondered how she did. Was she able to skate well. All this pressure she is under makes me concerned that she will not be able to do her best. The people who are sending her negative messages should realize they are sending negative messages to the United States Figure Skating Olympians.
    Last edited by ladybug; 01-21-2014 at 02:32 AM. Reason: spelling

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •