How can we best show our support to the beleaguered Ashley? | Page 3 | Golden Skate

How can we best show our support to the beleaguered Ashley?

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Gracie Gold hasn't been crucified for what she's said at Nationals (the "I do think I can take the gold, if anyone else thinks otherwise they'll have to skate well enough to beat me").

It doesn't surprise me that fans have been so ugly to her - Ashley has never been their "it girl"... not because of what she says but what other fans have said about her.

coppertop1

On the Ice
As Johnny Weir said, Ashley is not a "pre-packaged skater" who says "I just wanna do my best" she says "I'm here to win". I like that, too. After a while the whole "I want to skate my best" line gets tired and feels forced and scripted. It's a double standard that males can be bold while women are expected to be all sweet and humble. There's nothing wrong with a female skater saying they want to win or the title is theirs to lose.

Ashley does not deserve the heat she's getting, and I hope she shows everyone what she's made of. She's a fighter!

ForeverFish

Medalist
I appreciate both Ashley and Gracie's refreshing willingness to come right out and say that they want to win. It reminds me of 2013 Worlds, when they made it clear -- despite the "ice princess" stereotype -- that they had one mission: to earn 3 spots for the US ladies. I don't even mind when they say things like "I'm the best" and "I came here to win" because ... well, they are.

skateluvr

Record Breaker
Gracie Gold hasn't been crucified for what she's said at Nationals (the "I do think I can take the gold, if anyone else thinks otherwise they'll have to skate well enough to beat me").

It doesn't surprise me that fans have been so ugly to her - Ashley has never been their "it girl"... not because of what she says but what other fans have said about her.

Wow, I had no idea Grace said that. May she skate to perfection. She can win.

coppertop1

On the Ice
I agree, it shows Ashley and Gracie are confident. I don't know if it's quite Gracie's time yet, but I also don't think it's that far away, she has all the qualities of a champion, just needs a bit more polish but she's heading in the right direction. The ice princess act can feel cliched. I welcome those who are real and authentic.