10 Richest Figure Skaters | Page 2 | Golden Skate

10 Richest Figure Skaters

Matilda

Medalist
Lol, I have no idea how they measure the wealth, but there is no way Johnny, who has had hardly any sponsor deals throughout his career and lives in a modest apartment in NJ with his hubby, is wealthier than Michelle Kwan--or Evan, who continues to have several sponsorhips and who isn't even on the list! And why is Yuna the only non-American skater here? What about the Japanese skaters and Plushy, for example? Worthless list, but it does have some entertainment value :popcorn:

Krislite

Medalist
And we care about this why?

You don't care how skaters are doing financially? Considering the extreme costs of this sport and the declining popularity in North America, this is actually an important issue--though, not much that we can really do about.

^ For me, there are two reasons why this is interesting. The first is what Krislite says. We are fans of skating and fans of individual skaters whom we have watched and cheered for as they struggled up through the ranks, usually with great financial sacrifice from their families. It's pretty cool when it all comes together.

The other reason is that I am fascinated by the number of strange ways that people become rich. You can get rich by throwing a rubber ball through a hoop. You can get rich by singing songs, by convincing people to give you all their money to invest for them, by telling people to drink Coca Cola or drive a Toyota, by paying golf. Or by skating across a sheet of ice doing tricks.

The Duck Dynasty folks were well-to-do entrepreneurs who hit on the scheme of growing long beards and pretending to be backwoods hillbillies for a "reality" TV show" -- they made millions. That's pretty remarkable, when you think about it.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Pheonmenons like Duck Dynasty, Justin Bieber, THe Kadashians, Paris Hilton and such may suggest just how "stupid" or vulnerable society is.

pointyourtoe

On the Ice
Most of the figures are inaccurate as hell. It's like sourcing Examiner.com. It's not even the list that's the problem so much as the site that it's posted on (TheRichest) which basically parrots inaccurate info from sites like Celebritynetworth, etc.
Not all of their celeb figures are wrong, especially when it comes to more prominent celebrities for whom such information is often updated on reliable websites like Forbes. Otherwise..

Yuna made that much (14 million) in a single year!

Johnny's net worth wouldn't be anywhere near Michelle. Please! From what, exactly? Phillip Hersch wrote an article in the Chicago Tribune which cited figures from USFSA tax returns that detailed how much US skaters made from appearance fees from the 90's til now. The drop was STEEEP. A top singles male skater like Evan would be paid no more than 40,000 a year these days by the USFSA compared to 900,000 in 1998 for Michelle (from appearance fees alone). And obviously the endorsements current American skaters get today would pale in comparison to what US skaters in the 90's got. Additionally, in the 90's, those skating tours would sometimes have up to 100 shows, and they were packed.
Johnny was recently begging his fans to fund his training wasn't he????

The list should really be 1) Yuna *big gap*, the rest.
And Michelle was undoubtedly the highest paid skater of her generation. There are countless articles detailing how she was the highest paid on tour, had some of the most prominent endorsement deals (some of which were long, multi-year contracts that paid a million a year - What current US skaters comes even close to that?), book deals, etc.
It's also well documented that Kristi Yamaguchi's earnings were more limited than was typical for an Olympic champion because of the social climate at the time in regards to her Japanese heritage.
And Dorothy Hamill went bankrupt in the 90's!!

KwanIsALegend

Fly On
Medalist
I never realized Tara had so much money until I saw her hosue in South Carolina on a home TV show
Johnny is not worth worth more than Michelle Kwan.

This doesn't seem all that accurate.

nguyenghita

On the Ice
Yuna is the richest! She donates a lot of money to charity.
Off topic.

I'm always find that funny. She donated more than $2 mil, the number most of us just can dream of, it means she really much much more rich than that. But you will never know she is THAT rich if you just look at her in daily life (not in tons of CF), instead you will believe she is the poorest athlete "poor Yuna, you need fund immediately" :laugh:

If we compare Yuna with other athletes who also super rich, most of them live like a king, Yuna still live like an ordinary girl, it's say something loudly about her personality which is the main reason I became fan (not b/c her skating) :love:

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Lol, I have no idea how they measure the wealth, but there is no way Johnny, who has had hardly any sponsor deals throughout his career and lives in a modest apartment in NJ with his hubby, is wealthier than Michelle Kwan--or Evan, who continues to have several sponsorhips and who isn't even on the list! And why is Yuna the only non-American skater here? What about the Japanese skaters and Plushy, for example? Worthless list, but it does have some entertainment value :popcorn:

What about those bags and designer clothes - or do you think he gets them for free or from some vendor off Broadway????? His husband or partner is a NY lawyer so one would think they aren't starving.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I never realized Tara had so much money until I saw her hosue in South Carolina on a home TV show
Johnny is not worth worth more than Michelle Kwan.

This doesn't seem all that accurate.
Well Tara's dad is loaded. And remember the recesssion and housing market crash and S. Carolina isn't exactly Hollywood and Vine.

Matilda

Medalist
What about those bags and designer clothes - or do you think he gets them for free or from some vendor off Broadway????? His husband or partner is a NY lawyer so one would think they aren't starving.

Yes, many of Johnny's bags are in fact gifts from his fans--the same wealthy fans who travel around the world to see him skate--and some of his designer clothes are either borrowed or gifts from his designer friends. He does admit that fashion is his weakness and that he saves to buy an expensive fashion item, just like some people save for the latest pricey electronic gadget or an expensive trip. Unlike many self-proclaimed fashionistas he also wears the same clothes over and over again.

I don't think the wealth stated in the article included the wealth/income of the spouse? Anyway, as far as Johnny's hubby is concerned, he was only recently adnitted first in the NJ and then NY bar, so he hasn't had an opportunity to contribute much to their wealth yet. I'm sure they make enough to live comfortably, especially now that they both have a job, but I'm pretty sure Johnny makes nowhere near what this ridiculous article suggests.

And I still want to know why they think Plushy, Mao, Evan, and Witt, for example, are not doing well financially? :p

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Off topic.

I'm always find that funny. She donated more than $2 mil, the number most of us just can dream of, it means she really much much more rich than that. But you will never know she is THAT rich if you just look at her in daily life (not in tons of CF), instead you will believe she is the poorest athlete "poor Yuna, you need fund immediately" :laugh:

If we compare Yuna with other athletes who also super rich, most of them live like a king, Yuna still live like an ordinary girl, it's say something loudly about her personality which is the main reason I became fan (not b/c her skating) :love:

Ah let's don't get carried way. Yuna's life while perhaps not that of a king is hardle spartan or impoverished. People don't send your children's college funds to help yuna or cry for her financially. She has many things which a lot of people wouldn't have and it carries on to her family.

nguyenghita

On the Ice
Ah let's don't get carried way. Yuna's life while perhaps not that of a king is hardle spartan or impoverished. People don't send your children's college funds to help yuna or cry for her financially. She has many things which a lot of people wouldn't have and it carries on to her family.
No no, of course she absolutely not poor, super rich instead. I just talk about her personality, while she is very rich but still live a very simple life, quite impressive for me :agree:

fadeevfan

Rinkside
Never seen "therichest.com" before -- but these numbers are crazy, joke numbers. Yuna, at this point, might be making millions, but most of these others are nowhere near that bracket.