Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: 10 Richest Figure Skaters

Custom Title
    And we care about this why?

Custom Title
    How can Tonya be on that list? Evan is richer; Plushenko is richer; Peggy is richer; Dick Button is richer......

Quote Originally Posted by noskates View Post

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by nguyenghita View Post
    http://www.therichest.com/rich-list/...paign=TR-trial

They don't have a reliable source so I'm not sure all of them really earn that much, only Yuna and Michelle sound right for me (Yuna earns a bit more than that though) But Tonya is a joke, I mean, $10,000 in this richest list for real Mao should make the list instead, I heard her income around $3 mil years ago

Anyway, in the sport where over 98% athletes fought so hard to pay for their training cost, the gap between them is a bit heart broken T_T
    I am not so sure about these numbers. where is Mao and Katarina Witt. Oksana Baiul and Katia Gordeeva. Sara Hughes? I think Kwan'snet worth may be higher as well. Really Johnny Weir at ten millino something doesn't sound right logically. He ws raising money to skate at Sochi. And not that there is anything wrong with being gay but it limits your sponsorships usually and Johnny's personality while a boom in some cases also a big bust in others. Yes one wonders about Dick, Peggy and all. Kurt Browning might be up there and who knows about Brian Orser. Mindyou Canada is a lot smaller than the US.

If I remember right, there was an article a few years ago that said Mao wants her financial income to be kept secret, that's why she isn't on the list no one knows how much she earns, but she must earn ALOT with all the sponsors she has, and whom she has had for many years. A couple friends of mine who have visited japan said her picture was everywhere they went!

Custom Title
    Lol, I have no idea how they measure the wealth, but there is no way Johnny, who has had hardly any sponsor deals throughout his career and lives in a modest apartment in NJ with his hubby, is wealthier than Michelle Kwan--or Evan, who continues to have several sponsorhips and who isn't even on the list! And why is Yuna the only non-American skater here? What about the Japanese skaters and Plushy, for example? Worthless list, but it does have some entertainment value

Quote Originally Posted by noskates View Post
    You don't care how skaters are doing financially? Considering the extreme costs of this sport and the declining popularity in North America, this is actually an important issue--though, not much that we can really do about.

^ For me, there are two reasons why this is interesting. The first is what Krislite says. We are fans of skating and fans of individual skaters whom we have watched and cheered for as they struggled up through the ranks, usually with great financial sacrifice from their families. It's pretty cool when it all comes together.

The other reason is that I am fascinated by the number of strange ways that people become rich. You can get rich by throwing a rubber ball through a hoop. You can get rich by singing songs, by convincing people to give you all their money to invest for them, by telling people to drink Coca Cola or drive a Toyota, by paying golf. Or by skating across a sheet of ice doing tricks.

The Duck Dynasty folks were well-to-do entrepreneurs who hit on the scheme of growing long beards and pretending to be backwoods hillbillies for a "reality" TV show" -- they made millions. That's pretty remarkable, when you think about it.

Custom Title
    Pheonmenons like Duck Dynasty, Justin Bieber, THe Kadashians, Paris Hilton and such may suggest just how "stupid" or vulnerable society is.

Quote Originally Posted by Skater Boy View Post
    Pheonmenons like Duck Dynasty, Justin Bieber, THe Kadashians, Paris Hilton and such may suggest just how "stupid" or vulnerable society is.
    Or how smart their management teams are.

Or both, really.

Custom Title
    Most of the figures are inaccurate as hell. It's like sourcing Examiner.com. It's not even the list that's the problem so much as the site that it's posted on (TheRichest) which basically parrots inaccurate info from sites like Celebritynetworth, etc.
    Not all of their celeb figures are wrong, especially when it comes to more prominent celebrities for whom such information is often updated on reliable websites like Forbes. Otherwise..

Yuna made that much (14 million) in a single year!

Johnny's net worth wouldn't be anywhere near Michelle. Please! From what, exactly? Phillip Hersch wrote an article in the Chicago Tribune which cited figures from USFSA tax returns that detailed how much US skaters made from appearance fees from the 90's til now. The drop was STEEEP. A top singles male skater like Evan would be paid no more than 40,000 a year these days by the USFSA compared to 900,000 in 1998 for Michelle (from appearance fees alone). And obviously the endorsements current American skaters get today would pale in comparison to what US skaters in the 90's got. Additionally, in the 90's, those skating tours would sometimes have up to 100 shows, and they were packed.
    Johnny was recently begging his fans to fund his training wasn't he????

The list should really be 1) Yuna *big gap*, the rest.
    And Michelle was undoubtedly the highest paid skater of her generation. There are countless articles detailing how she was the highest paid on tour, had some of the most prominent endorsement deals (some of which were long, multi-year contracts that paid a million a year - What current US skaters comes even close to that?), book deals, etc.
    It's also well documented that Kristi Yamaguchi's earnings were more limited than was typical for an Olympic champion because of the social climate at the time in regards to her Japanese heritage.
    And Dorothy Hamill went bankrupt in the 90's!!

I never realized Tara had so much money until I saw her hosue in South Carolina on a home TV show
    Johnny is not worth worth more than Michelle Kwan.

This doesn't seem all that accurate.

Banned
    North American Richest skaters + Yuna

Custom Title
    What about Mao and the rest of the Japanese skaters?

Plushenko?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast