Mirai's exhibition program | Golden Skate

Mirai's exhibition program

stella luna

Final Flight
Mirai's exhibition program at the U.S. nationals was lovely. Anyone know what the music was?

noskates

Record Breaker
It was beautiful and I swear she was crying throughout the performance. I was crying too. We were in the first row and it seemed so personal. Sorry for Mirai. Just hope she uses this experience to build on.

alexeifan

On the Ice
I haven't seen a program that beautiful since kwan, it's really a shame she won't be at the Olympics.

wordsworthgirl

Medalist
Adam Rippon choreographed the program! I think that when he's ready to hang up his skates, he has a nice future as a choreographer awaiting him!

Chrissy

Rinkside
I haven't seen a program that beautiful since kwan, it's really a shame she won't be at the Olympics.

Yes, it was truly beautiful! The fans there gave her a standing ovation before she even skated and after her exhibition also. Poor Mirai - - - totally robbed of being on the Olympic team! Such a shame!

mskater93

Record Breaker
I am sick and tired of people saying Mirai was "robbed" of being on the Olympic team. Maybe if she hadn't waited until the last competition to show a little fire and consistency and had actually been consistent since 2010 instead of choking every time she had an opportunity (2010 Worlds, 2011 Nationals, 2012 Nationals), this wouldn't have been an issue...

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I am sick and tired of people saying Mirai was "robbed" of being on the Olympic team. Maybe if she hadn't waited until the last competition to show a little fire and consistency and had actually been consistent since 2010 instead of choking every time she had an opportunity (2010 Worlds, 2011 Nationals, 2012 Nationals), this wouldn't have been an issue...

Ouch! But again folks according to the rules one can see how Mirai was replaced by Ashley still the USFSA could have sent her to world's to be more consistent with their other decisions. Mirai has a right to her feelings and she has handled herself well and she is getting tonnes of sympathy many and msst don't know the criteria for olympic selection mind you which could explain some of the misplaced or misunderstood anger. in many ways because of what happened Mirai h as more fans and support; had she choked at the olympics there wouldhave been comments about sending someone else and how it was time for her to move on etc.

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States

People are entitled to their opinions. In my opinion, the only way Mirai would have been selected for that team is if she, not Ashley, had been 2012 and 2013 National champion. Based on past practice for team selection, she was robbed.

And her exhibition is beautiful--better than any of the Olympic team members' exhibitions.

mskater93

Record Breaker
If Mirai had actually NOT fallen on the 2A at Worlds in 2010 (or made one less mistake SOMEWHERE in that LP), she would have made the World team in 2011 (even with the miss on the FSSp - US would have had 3 spots at Worlds if she was 3rd and Flatt was 7/8th). I think this would have improved her outlook and she would have been ready in 2012 (when she was in the top 3 after SP) and she might have fought a little harder for that LP as well. In addition, if she'd been World bronze medalist in 2010 and been to Worlds with who knows what result in 2011 (she looked like she was improving through the season that year), she MIGHT have gotten a benefit of the doubt pick for 2012 Worlds, even finishing 7th at Nationals that year (or she might have done better than that because she might have actually fought through that performance) which...well, you understand where I am going with this (she might have been able to withdraw after SP last year and petition her way onto the team with stronger and more consistent results over the previous couple of years...) I find her very frustrating as she has tonnes of talent and has been unable to put it together consistently.

Layfan

Record Breaker
Adam Rippon choreographed the program! I think that when he's ready to hang up his skates, he has a nice future as a choreographer awaiting him!

He did? wow! It was a gorgeous program for Mirai! Argh. If only Mirai had skated like that more often in the last four years....

Amei

Record Breaker

I'm sure she didn't intentionally perform poorly at earlier competitions.

instead of choking every time she had an opportunity (2010 Worlds, 2011 Nationals, 2012 Nationals), this wouldn't have been an issue...

The same could be said for Ashley- if she didn't choke at the 2014 Nationals (the current competition) and placed ahead of at least Mirai and possibly also over Gracie and Polina, this wouldn't have been an issue. They wouldn't have chosen someone purely because of past performances and there would be no controversy.

heyang

Record Breaker
Keep in mind that Mirai also had some injuries and significant body changes since 2010. Part of Mirai's problem may have been related to some lack of self discipline. She had her eye on the prize, instead of concentrating on her skating, which lead to her 'choking' when she was in contention to win gold. In some ways, I think it was unfortunate that she finished 4th in Vancouver because it put the weight of expectations on her more so than anyone else.