Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
Results 61 to 75 of 115

Thread: Score ceiling for Julia and Adelina in Sochi

  1. #61
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    4,890
    Quote Originally Posted by CarneAsada View Post
    I might question her high spin GOE in the Worlds 2013 LP, but I agree with most of the rest. The main thing people underestimate is the speed of Kim's spins, and the fact that her positions are all very good apart from the layback (which still has great speed and back position no matter what she does with her free leg). That means she almost always gets the levels. I actually think some of Sotnikova's positions are ugly and Lipnitskaya's hyperflexibility unappealing so I prefer Kim's spins to those of either Russian by far.
    I agree on all that. And yes her layback position is a bit weak, but that is just one weak aspect of one spin, it doesnt not a mediocre or even weak spinner make (and Kostners layback is maybe the ugliest I have ever seen FWIW). I definitely agree on your points on the Russians spins.

  2. #62
    🌸🐱❄🐱❄🐱🌸 jennyanydots's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    189
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam-Skwantch View Post
    Here is how GOE on jumps is awarded as I understand it.

    FOR + 1 : 2 bullets
    FOR + 2 : 4 bullets
    FOR + 3 : 6 or more bullets

    1) unexpected / creative / difficult entry
    2) clear recognizable steps/free skating movements immediately preceding element
    3) varied position in the air / delay in rotation
    4) good height and distance
    5) good extension on landing / creative exit
    6) good flow from entry to exit including jump combinations / sequences
    7) effortless throughout
    8) element matched to the musical structure

    A reasonably honest judge should very easily find 2 bullets on most of Julia's jumps. Her 3t often goes higher than her first jump which qualifiers her for that bullet, like it or not, on those jumps at least. How people think she should only receive 0 GOE is what's ridiculous on this thread. I personally see +2 on most if you factor in her no set up entries on some of her toughest jumps, and effortless transitions out.

    Both Mao and Yuna have very low second and 3rd jumps in their jump sequences. I don't think it should affect their GOE though. Although it looks very labored to me at times. You need to view the whole pass. In regards to Mao's 3a's in her FS she has already thrown out the first two before leaving the ice.

    Please correct my ignorance here but I don't see anything here that suggest you can only score +3 GOE with huge step up jumps.
    Sounds right. The Skating Lesson made an excellent video explaining jump GOE. Adhering to the criteria, they were suprised that they couldn't give Yuna a +3 on her jumps, as good as they are.

  3. #63
    🌸🐱❄🐱❄🐱🌸 jennyanydots's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    189
    Quote Originally Posted by pangtongfan View Post
    I agree on all that. And yes her layback position is a bit weak, but that is just one weak aspect of one spin, it doesnt not a mediocre or even weak spinner make (and Kostners layback is maybe the ugliest I have ever seen FWIW). I definitely agree on your points on the Russians spins.
    Carolina's layback position has really improved the last couple seasons and I don't think it's ugly at all. The free leg is now nicely extended and turned out. Her back position may not be that low but it's still adequate. Yuna's layback free leg has also improved somewhat but it's still meh. However the back position, speed and centering are all very good. Agree that Adelina's spin positions aren't aesthetically pleasing at all. For me Julia is okay, maybe because I watch a lot of rhythmic gymnastics and am used to seeing extreme hyperflexibility.

  4. #64
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    399
    Adelina's spins are difficult but not aesthetically appealing.
    Julia's spins are difficult and look aesthetically OK.
    Gracie is not Über flexible but her spins look pretty and fast. She is very "spinning", if that's a word.
    Yuna's spins are above average but there is no wow factor in her spins. I always feel she does not spin her spins, but skates her spins out.
    Carolina's spins are the weakest among all, probably due to her lack of flexibility.

  5. #65
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    3,226
    Quote Originally Posted by hippomoomin View Post
    Adelina's spins are difficult but not aesthetically appealing.
    Julia's spins are difficult and look aesthetically OK.
    Gracie is not Über flexible but her spins look pretty and fast. She is very "spinning", if that's a word.
    Yuna's spins are above average but there is no wow factor in her spins. I always feel she does not spin her spins, but skates her spins out.
    Carolina's spins are the weakest among all, probably due to her lack of flexibility.
    While I agree with most of your comments, the majority of your criticisms are due to requirements for spins under COP. For example, I have no doubt Adelina could do a beautiful classic layback spin but she wouldn't get very many points for that.

  6. #66
    Tripping on the Podium
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    60
    Quote Originally Posted by jennyanydots View Post
    Agree that Adelina's spin positions aren't aesthetically pleasing at all. For me Julia is okay, maybe because I watch a lot of rhythmic gymnastics and am used to seeing extreme hyperflexibility.
    Ain't that the truth re: rhythmic gymnastics. I really enjoy rhythmic, although I don't follow it closely whatsoever.

    Quote Originally Posted by drivingmissdaisy View Post
    While I agree with most of your comments, the majority of your criticisms are due to requirements for spins under COP. For example, I have no doubt Adelina could do a beautiful classic layback spin but she wouldn't get very many points for that.
    For whatever reason, I find Adelina's spin positions to be some of the most aesthetically displeasing, although I like many other things about her skating. I get why she's doing them though. To me, COP needs some tweaking when it comes to spins - and I generally am pro-COP.

  7. #67
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    268
    Quote Originally Posted by Minze2001 View Post
    Jump Quality: Outstanding. Skating Skills: Carolina Kostner is her equal and Mao is very close. Aristry: Mao Asada not only matches her in many cases is better than Yuna's
    It's just your opinion. I respect your point of view BUT there are many experts who think YuNa's artistry is exceptional and unmatched.

    US ESPN,13/03/13
    [What truly sets her apart, however, is her presence on the ice. Many skaters may as well use Muzak for as much as they feel the music, flailing their arms about in an imitation of artistry. With Kim, however, there is a seamless connection between her blades, her music and her heart. Watch her practice her footwork, and you can almost hear the strains of “Les Mis” or “Kiss of the Vampire.” It’s a quality that can’t be taught, and it’s what sets a great program apart from a good one.] 


    "There are class and quality in her skating. The reason Yu-Na's skating is special is because of the innocence and that authentic feeling."-Katarina Witt

    "I don't feel like I'm missing anything when I watch her. She's the whole package.I think she will be remembered as a great artist."-1976 Olympic champion Dorothy Hamill

    "She has the combination of the technical elements and the grace and musicality and that's what you want in skating."-Peggy Flemming

    "she's really distanced herself not only technically, but artistically. "-Scott Hamilton

    "Her place as an all-time great, secure alongside the likes of Dorothy Hamil, Peggy Flemming and Katarina Witt"-New York Times

    “Yu-Na Kim. A living, breathing work of art from Korea"-Vancouver Sun

    "Yuna’s technique is breathtaking. Her spins, jumps, footwork, ice coverage are gorgeous. In addition, she’s one of the few champions in the sport to continue to push herself, not just artistically but technically. "-Wall Street Journal

    "Watching Kim Yu-Na dominate like she did touched me in away that I haven't been touched since Torvill and Dean in Sarajevo."- IOC President, Jacque Rogge

    "She is the first woman in history who can even compete in men's figure skating for medal. There is no superlative that can describe this young woman. She was like an artist painting a masterpiece with only the slightest touch of a brush."
    - German commentators commenting on her Olympics LP .

  8. #68
    Custom Title Minze2001's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    557
    Quote Originally Posted by yuki90 View Post
    It's just your opinion. I respect your point of view BUT there are many experts who think YuNa's artistry is exceptional and unmatched.

    US ESPN,13/03/13
    [What truly sets her apart, however, is her presence on the ice. Many skaters may as well use Muzak for as much as they feel the music, flailing their arms about in an imitation of artistry. With Kim, however, there is a seamless connection between her blades, her music and her heart. Watch her practice her footwork, and you can almost hear the strains of “Les Mis” or “Kiss of the Vampire.” It’s a quality that can’t be taught, and it’s what sets a great program apart from a good one.] 


    "There are class and quality in her skating. The reason Yu-Na's skating is special is because of the innocence and that authentic feeling."-Katarina Witt

    "I don't feel like I'm missing anything when I watch her. She's the whole package.I think she will be remembered as a great artist."-1976 Olympic champion Dorothy Hamill

    "She has the combination of the technical elements and the grace and musicality and that's what you want in skating."-Peggy Flemming

    "she's really distanced herself not only technically, but artistically. "-Scott Hamilton

    "Her place as an all-time great, secure alongside the likes of Dorothy Hamil, Peggy Flemming and Katarina Witt"-New York Times

    “Yu-Na Kim. A living, breathing work of art from Korea"-Vancouver Sun

    "Yuna’s technique is breathtaking. Her spins, jumps, footwork, ice coverage are gorgeous. In addition, she’s one of the few champions in the sport to continue to push herself, not just artistically but technically. "-Wall Street Journal

    "Watching Kim Yu-Na dominate like she did touched me in away that I haven't been touched since Torvill and Dean in Sarajevo."- IOC President, Jacque Rogge

    "She is the first woman in history who can even compete in men's figure skating for medal. There is no superlative that can describe this young woman. She was like an artist painting a masterpiece with only the slightest touch of a brush."
    - German commentators commenting on her Olympics LP .
    You do realize I can pull quotes like that about Mao, carolina right? What does that prove? No one said she wasnt the best. But in some areas Carolina and Mao top her. Is all relative

  9. #69
    Custard Title
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    915
    Quote Originally Posted by yuki90 View Post
    "She is the first woman in history who can even compete in men's figure skating for medal. There is no superlative that can describe this young woman. She was like an artist painting a masterpiece with only the slightest touch of a brush."
    - German commentators commenting on her Olympics LP .
    The German commentators are ignorant and awful, especially if they think Yuna is the first (wrong) woman capable of competing for a men's medal (also wrong). Midori Ito would be more in the hunt for a men's medal than Yuna as she had the execution and the difficulty.

  10. #70
    Custom Title Minze2001's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    557
    Quote Originally Posted by yuki90 View Post
    In some areas? Ok, In your opinion.

    but I want to see quotes about Mao that proves she matches YuNa's artistry.
    I havent seen many quotes or articles about Mao.
    First, what does your quotes prove?
    Also, you dont have to work so hard to prove Yuna's godly superiority, just say she won gold by almost 20 points in Vancouver and did it again at 2013 worlds. Nuff said

    Seriously, just because someone opines That Caro and Mao are stronger in some areas is dissmissing Kim as the top skater.

  11. #71
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    268
    Quote Originally Posted by Minze2001 View Post
    First, what does your quotes prove?
    Also, you dont have to work so hard to prove Yuna's godly superiority, just say she won gold by almost 20 points in Vancouver and did it again at 2013 worlds. Nuff said

    Seriously, just because someone opines That Caro and Mao are stronger in some areas is dissmissing Kim as the top skater.
    wow go back to read your post again. first you said Mao's artistry is better than YuNa.
    so I show you some quotes that YuNa's exceptional and now you bring Caro into this.

    About Caro, I think Caro and Yuna's artistry are both exceptional and unmatched.(:

  12. #72
    Custom Title Minze2001's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    557
    Quote Originally Posted by yuki90 View Post
    wow go back to read your post again. first you said Mao's artistry is better than YuNa.
    so I show some quotes that YuNa's exceptional and now you bring Caro into this.

    About Caro, I think Caro and Yuna's artistry is exceptional and unmatched.(:
    Yes. I said and believe it. Are the opinion of commentators a perfect science that prove who has more aristry? Againg what does the quotes prove?

  13. #73
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    999
    Mao's artistry has gone lately because of the problems with 3A. She spends 25% of her program around two 3A's and doesn't even land them. If she could finish them and build momentum in her program, it would help, but when she fails the 3As it's such a huge letdown for her and the audience. The program becomes a chore to skate and watch until she shows flashes of brilliance at the end, but it's not enough. Perhaps if she goes back to one 3A and can land it successfully, it will give her momentum to build the rest of her performance.

    ETA: not sure what all this has to do with Julia and Adelina though. :/

  14. #74
    Size 7 Knife Boots Sam-Skwantch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    At the Rink
    Posts
    1,629
    I fail to see the point in leaving Julia and Adelina out of the posts if we are in fact discussing their scoring potential? Bring up Yuna,Mao, Caro sure, but how about in relation to the thread.

    someone should start a Yuna thread. Seems like someone would have started one by now.

  15. #75
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    1,191
    Quote Originally Posted by yuki90 View Post
    "She is the first woman in history who can even compete in men's figure skating for medal. There is no superlative that can describe this young woman. She was like an artist painting a masterpiece with only the slightest touch of a brush."
    - German commentators commenting on her Olympics LP .
    Why not? She has a triple axel and a quad, just like the men. Oh wait...

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •