Score ceiling for Julia and Adelina in Sochi | Page 5 | Golden Skate

Score ceiling for Julia and Adelina in Sochi

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
It was in 2010 Olypimcs.

Lol, you actually think Yu Na could have competed with the men? With her six triples and multiple double axels? If it was really said, it was hyperbole--or a joke.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
:eek: You mean at Nationals? I think it's silly to compare across disciplines. Scores are relative and viewed in context. A male skater who doesn't do a triple axel or a quad wouldn't be competitive at all. Especially in the last cycle. For example, Jason Brown is a fantastic overall skater but he isn't considered a top contender because he doesn't have a quad yet.

Whoops! Her personal best for PCS in the FS is 73.61, not 78.30 (I had mixed up her PB for TES in the FS with her PB for PCS :p). Which works out to 92.01 points of PCS with a factor of 1.0

So those numbers revised:

TES: 44.70 SP + 83.40 FS
PCS: 42.25 SP + 92.01 FS
SP: 86.95 points
FS: 175.41 points

Total: 262.35 points

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Akiko no question, but Julia exceed Yuna in artistry? OMG, yeah say whatever you want, enjoy living in the fantasy land, thanks for the great laugh :eek: :laugh: :slink:

We'll see what the Olympic audience thinks. I predict Julia's Schindler's List will be the talk of the Olympics if she skates it well.

Ven

Match Penalty
Akiko no question, but Julia exceed Yuna in artistry? OMG, yeah say whatever you want, enjoy living in the fantasy land, thanks for the great laugh :eek: :laugh: :slink:

:rofl:

Artistry, no. Julia and Akiko both exceed her in artistry (performance/execution and interpretation), IMO

Feel free to have your opinion, but like 99% other people will say .... lol @ Julia being more artistic than Yuna

Julia skates through her music, not to it.

CarneAsada

Medalist
Collectively, based on her current personal best scores, her theoretical personal best (if given men's factoring of PCS in the FS, and landing her extra jumping pass) would be:
TES: 44.70 SP + 83.40 FS
PCS: 42.25 SP + 97.87 FS
SP: 86.95 points
FS: 181.27 points

Total: 268.22 -- this would be 5th best total of all time, and would have won her men's Worlds last year (possibly not when adjusted for slight changes in the elements' values).

Of course, those numbers are rough, the elements' values have slightly changed, and her PCS would drop compared to the men who are faster than her... but given her personal best TES scores and with her current PCS adjusted with the men's factoring, theoretically it seems as though Kim would still be somewhat competitive in the men's even without a triple axel and quad. Who would have thought! :p
Theoretically. Except using her personal best and Nationals PCS (oops you fixed your post to use her Worlds PCS and I was confused like miki88, so ignore this bit), assuming she can do a 3Lo and her GOE wouldn't drop immediately when stacked up against the men is a very poor way of estimating anything. You mentioned of course the change in elements' values which pushes her even farther away from being "capable of a men's medal". Her theoretical maximum in the LP for the women's side is 160 points. Changing women's PCS to men's makes it 180. Adding a double Lutz (the hardest jump she can add that she is capable of doing) makes it slightly over 182. I could say the same things for that SP TES which is once again higher than any score she could get in real life under the current code (84.33 which she wouldn't get on the men's side even at Korean Nationals). I suppose using Adelina's Nationals performances and adding 20 to her PCS makes her competitive with the men, too? :sarcasm:

nguyenghita

On the Ice
We'll see what the Olympic audience thinks. I predict Julia's Schindler's List will be the talk of the Olympics if she skates it well.
Olymic in Russia, so I don't know if I can based on their words to judge who is more artistry :rolleye: If we must based on what Olympic audience think, I guess Yuna will be a "legendary goddess no-one-can-touch" in Pyeongchang Olympic even she wont compete there :laugh:

But since you already though Julia's small skating is more beautiful than Yuna's, yeah let's just enjoy hers :popcorn:

Anyway, what is a chance for "whether Yuna can compete with men" subject have anything related to the original topic, guys? Everyone know it just a joke from commentators, just their way to praise her amazing performance/super high score, nothing more, don't take it serious, please back to the topic :popcorn:

yuki90

On the Ice
Olymic in Russia, so I don't know if I can based on their words to judge who is more artistry :rolleye: If we must based on what Olympic audience think, I guess Yuna will be a "legendary goddess no-one-can-touch" in Pyeongchang Olympic even she wont compete there :laugh:

But since you already though Julia's small skating is more beautiful than Yuna's, yeah let's just enjoy hers :popcorn:

Anyway, what is a chance for "whether Yuna can compete with men" subject have anything related to the original topic, guys? Everyone know it just a joke from commentators, just their way to praise her amazing performance/super high score, nothing more, don't take it serious, please back to the topic :popcorn:
In PyeoungChang, YuNa will definitely be the greatest skater of all time. lol
That's the only thing they can complain about, I'm surprised some people take those words seriously lol.
I'm a huge fan of YuNa but I really know she's nowhere near Man's technical difficulty.

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
:rofl:

Feel free to have your opinion, but like 99% other people will say .... lol @ Julia being more artistic than Yuna

Julia skates through her music, not to it.

The IJS, by the way, doesn't reward artistry, at least not specifically. It scores Performance/Execution and Interpretation. I think Julia deservedly scores high on those elements in her Schindler's List program. It is really quite moving. So far, I haven't been impressed by Yu Na's performance this year. She is the one who seems to be going through the motions. Even her short program doesn't have the spark that, say, her Bond program did. Very pretty, but kinda sleepy. If artistry is reaching out to the audience like Michelle did and achieving beautiful positions like Sasha (two of the most artistic skaters), I prefer Julia.

Ven

Match Penalty
The IJS, by the way, doesn't reward artistry, at least not specifically. It scores Performance/Execution and Interpretation. I think Julia deservedly scores high on those elements in her Schindler's List program. It is really quite moving. So far, I haven't been impressed by Yu Na's performance this year. She is the one who seems to be going through the motions. Even her short program doesn't have the spark that, say, her Bond program did. Very pretty, but kinda sleepy. If artistry is reaching out to the audience like Michelle did and achieving beautiful positions like Sasha (two of the most artistic skaters), I prefer Julia.

I don't think any of us were debating how much IJS rewards artistry or not, only that Akiko and Yuna are in a different league artistically compared to Julia, who btw is good at a lot of things, just not artistically.

Imagine if you could see the music notes in the air as the skaters move across the ice. Akiko hits the notes and she gains energy from them, they infuse her with some magic and you can see it affects her emotions and she conveys that to the audience. Yuna sometimes is capable of that, sometimes she merely hits the notes, but she almost always hits them with intent.

Julia on the other hand ... she just crashes through the notes, damn the torpedoes full steam ahead!

And yes, Yuna's presentation has been lacking a bit in the LP this year, but I think you'll see it much better at Sochi. Her conditioning was a problem earlier in the season. I'm not sure what you found unsatisfactory about the SP, it's a different style than bond, it's very flowing, graceful, not sassy.

Isabel_O'Reilly

Final Flight
I don't think any of us were debating how much IJS rewards artistry or not, only that Akiko and Yuna are in a different league artistically compared to Julia, who btw is good at a lot of things, just not artistically.

Imagine if you could see the music notes in the air as the skaters move across the ice. Akiko hits the notes and she gains energy from them, they infuse her with some magic and you can see it affects her emotions and she conveys that to the audience. Yuna sometimes is capable of that, sometimes she merely hits the notes, but she almost always hits them with intent.

Julia on the other hand ... she just crashes through the notes, damn the torpedoes full steam ahead!

And yes, Yuna's presentation has been lacking a bit in the LP this year, but I think you'll see it much better at Sochi. Her conditioning was a problem earlier in the season. I'm not sure what you found unsatisfactory about the SP, it's a different style than bond, it's very flowing, graceful, not sassy.
That is just your opinion. I personally find that her skating is fitting perfectly with her music. Maybe not every note like other skaters, but that does not mean she is not skating to her music. So please just give it a rest already.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
Of course, those numbers are rough, the elements' values have slightly changed, and her PCS would drop compared to the men who are faster than her... but given her personal best TES scores and with her current PCS adjusted with the men's factoring, theoretically it seems as though Kim would still be somewhat competitive in the men's even without a triple axel and quad. Who would have thought! :p

Let me say first that Yuna is the best woman. However, she would not at all be competitive on the men's side for top placements.
a) No man without a 3A and quad is going to get great PCS.
b) While her programs are great on the women's side, they are relatively empty for a man's program when it comes to transitions and difficult jump entrances. Look how Chan and Hanyu enter their jumps versus any of the women.
c) As others have suggested, her GOE would likely not be as high. Again, she has the best jumps on the woman's side but they don't compare with the best jumps from the men.

Men's and women's skating are very different and I don't think any woman's skating would translate well. (Maybe Midori with a 3A-3T and the full set of triples)

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Julia and Adelina's performance at the Europeans was aired nation wide in Russia1 Channel
1 hour talk show with Averbukh, Taraova about Julia and Adelina

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xGiKNzpJkaA

I wish the states would do a show on any figure skater. I also don't speak any Russian so I have no idea what is said. Can anyone translate some highlights?? I'm very curious about this little kid and her introverted ways. Very curios indeed.

MsLiinaLii

Final Flight
I wish the states would do a show on any figure skater. I also don't speak any Russian so I have no idea what is said. Can anyone translate some highlights?? I'm very curious about this little kid and her introverted ways. Very curios indeed.

Not much to say about it. Julia and Eteri did not take part in it, while Adelina and Buianova did. Most facts were taken from previous interviews, and they pushed Adelina's family talk about private stuff. On russian forum both Adelina and Julia were very disappointed with the way journalists did this programm, Adelina even wrote a little apology to all the fans... For me Tarasova talked too much as usually but nothing informative, Averbukh did not say much and said the right thing, that even though these girls did well in Euros, the most important competitions are still to come

jatale

On the Ice
A lot of people here think Russian skaters will enjoy an advantage in Sochi. That may well be true but I don't understand why. The Olympic judges draw held in Oberstdorf yielded the following panel of judges for the Sochi ladies events:

Korea, Italy, Japan, United States, Canada, Russia, France, Sweden, Ukraine, Estonia, Slovakia, Germany, Great Britain

There is just one judge from Russia. Now clearly the audience will be dominated by Russians, but how much does that influence the judging? I'd like to understand why many people here think the Russian skaters enjoy an advantage in the judging.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
There is just one judge from Russia. Now clearly the audience will be dominated by Russians, but how much does that influence the judging? I'd like to understand why many people here think the Russian skaters enjoy an advantage in the judging.

The judges are human after all, and can not only feed off the energy of the skater but also that of the crowd. A great crowd reaction can influence how well a judge perceives that a performance was skated.

Ven

Match Penalty
A lot of people here think Russian skaters will enjoy an advantage in Sochi. That may well be true but I don't understand why. The Olympic judges draw held in Oberstdorf yielded the following panel of judges for the Sochi ladies events:

Korea, Italy, Japan, United States, Canada, Russia, France, Sweden, Ukraine, Estonia, Slovakia, Germany, Great Britain

Ukraine and Estonia you might as well consider Russian judges. Maybe Slovakia too?

Ven

Match Penalty
For instance, Russia has just lent Ukraine another $10 billion today, I believe they lent them $15 billion before, and there is lots of political turmoil in Ukraine right now.

Putin has marketed Sochi Olympics to the Russian people as defense against Westerners: http://espn.go.com/olympics/winter/...e-sochi-olympics-vladimir-putin-espn-magazine

It doesn't take a genius to figure out the Ukrainian judge will be under HEAVY, HEAVY, HEAVY pressure to score exactly as the Russians desire.

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
question, do even know anything about figure skating ? :confused:
this isn't a place btw for political trolling

another pitiful poor misinformed
its being marketed to athletes as "to fight to the very end" to get as many medals as possible
nothing wrong with that, Canada had the "own the podium" theme in Vancouver

Ven

Match Penalty
question, do even know anything about figure skating ? :confused:

You claim Gracie Gold will score over 150 if she goes clean in FS and you ask someone this? :laugh:

That is almost 10% of Ukrainian GDP and it's not a loan for business projects, it's a loan to keep the government in power and the country not fall into anarchy and revolution. It would be like if all of the banks were on the verge of failing in 2008 and someone loaned the U.S. $2 trillion to stop complete financial collapse and depression. You don't think there are strings attached to such things?

It's a clear conflict of interest. Not only that, but you can make your own determinations, the judge may be threatened to comply.