What will happen in Ice Dancing this year? | Golden Skate

What will happen in Ice Dancing this year?

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
What will happen in ice dancing this year. Will Davis and White take both the Olympics and World's? Will and can Virtue and Moir catch D and W? Who has the better programs. Who will retire? My two bits technically D and W are better and V and M make too many mistakes. But overall I am starting to lean to V and M as to their programs. Their freedance really is quite amazing and not nearly as contrived as D and W. I would give the nod to V and M but it seems thejudges favour D and W. As for the bronze I am shocked c and l did so poorly score wise at euros. If anything despite the uproar on this website I wou ld say I and k have a lot of hope with the mistakes they made to be so close to c and L who could have won bronze at world's last year. Who dI think the podium should be if all skated well Gold V and M; Silver D and W bronze Weaver and Poje what I think will happen Gold Davis and Whie, silver Virtue and Moir Bronze. P and B

RABID

Final Flight
By all accounts it seems it is D/W's to lose. But I am intrigued by how this is all going to play out on American (and Canadian) tv. One pair is NEVER talked about without mentioning the other. The fact that this is the American's only real chance for any gold of prestige. The fact that ice dancing is a bit soap opera-ish anyway. The fact that this is a genuine rivalry. The fact that Scott and Tessa are sending poisonous looks at Meryl and Charlie among other things in the delicious tv "reality" show. And so many other things as well.... I just hope the fluff pieces are as delicious. GET YOUR POPCORN READY. :laugh:

gmyers

Record Breaker
Yes dw will. They can but won't. Dw have better programs. Both will retire. Sad but I/k have no hope.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Not to bring up bad vibes from other threads, but I think I/K had a terrific opportunity to position themselves as solid "Top 3" contenders in Sochi.

Perhaps even a threat to break into the top 2. Now... I don't think so. My money is on W/P.

blue_idealist

Record Breaker
I think D/W will win the Olympics, but it will be a close call. They'll win worlds too, since I heard V/M are probably not even going. P/B will win the bronze at the Olympics... I hope, I hope, I hope... and then retire. I think C/L and I/K are out of the race now and P/B can just manage to stay ahead of B/S. The worlds podium will likely be D/W, B/S, and either W/P or C/L.

blackswanphoto

On the Ice
At first I thought D/W would win gold but now im not so sure. They wasted their best skate at Nationals. The Olympic judges will be expecting a performance just as good, and if they don't deliver it will be a huge sense of disappointment. The team competition also throws a monkey wrench into the scenario.. what if they skate well there and not in the individual event and vice versa?

Has D/W confirmed they will retire after this year? Just based on Tanith's commentary at Nationals it seems so. And I would guess that she would have some inside info.

gmyers

Record Breaker
At first I thought D/W would win gold but now im not so sure. They wasted their best skate at Nationals. The Olympic judges will be expecting a performance just as good, and if they don't deliver it will be a huge sense of disappointment. The team competition also throws a monkey wrench into the scenario.. what if they skate well there and not in the individual event and vice versa?

Has D/W confirmed they will retire after this year? Just based on Tanith's commentary at Nationals it seems so. And I would guess that she would have some inside info.

D/W never don't skate well. I bet there's not one difference in their performances from nationals and team and ice dance! You know there's been no mistake in 5 years!

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I am going over he sd and fd. I actually think the sd is usually V and M's forte and no difference here. I originally thought no way is their current fs gonig to compete with D and W but now I would say it is better if they can execute the eelments rasonably well. We talk about these two team being the greatest. Well it is hard to say because COP is so different in ice dance than 6.0. ONe thing D and W have lacking though is their inability to really emote or show charisma in romantic and or dramatic spanish themed dances. I hope the judges reward V and M but I fear d and w will win if not because they lost out ot V and M the last time

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
It will come down to the same two things it has always come down to in the Marlie/Voir rivalry: who hits their levels and makes the fewest mistakes. Neither of them will have the adrenaline boost of a home field advantage, so that evens the playing field out even more this time. If all goes well this should be as memorable as The Battle of the Brians and The Clash of the Carmens, with extremely close scores. Given that, I would say Voir for the SD and Marlie for the FD--but again it will be extremely close.

Third...I'd bet my money on B/S, not because I think they necessarily deserve it mind you, but that's my gut feeling.

If Marlie and Voir both retire, then Worlds should be extremely interesting this year, with the winner getting a big psychological boost for the next quad.

GF2445

Record Breaker
It will depend on the final results.

If D/W win, they will retire and so will V/M

If V/M win, D/W might go to worlds and V/M will retire.

In the near-impossible case that both teams for some mysterious unknown reason beyond human comprehension lost....I wouldn't want to know!

Tessa and Scott really expressed how they disliked having to compete at Worlds after the Olympics so I doubt that they will compete either way. But you never know!

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
D/W haven't said they plan on retiring, I thought the last thing they said on the subject was that they didn't feel like they were done yet?

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Well they may not feel done with yet but they better be careful they might just get pushed out by their upcoming american teammates or Weaver and Poje or maybe one of the russiasn will get their act together. Sometims you stay too long an dyou get the boot.

gmyers

Record Breaker
D/W are safe barring technical collapse. Can't imagine lots of teams beating them even if their elements go down to level 3 or they become like a Russian team in tech.

noidont

Final Flight
D/W will win. V/M might even lose the silver to a perfect I/K or P/B. Their performance at canadian nats left a lot to be desired. VM will definitely retire. I think DW will continue through another quad though.

gmyers

Record Breaker
V/M haven't looked like they could be beaten by P/B all season! I don't even want to imagine how horrible they would have to be to get beat by I/K. I just kind of imagine a 2011 4CC thing for V/m but they continue the fd.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
D/W and V/M are so far superior to the other teams they are a lock for gold/silver, minor mistakes made by V/M at Nationals notwithstanding. Bronze is the only medal up for grabs.

joannix

Rinkside
D/W and V/M are so far superior to the other teams they are a lock for gold/silver, minor mistakes made by V/M at Nationals notwithstanding. Bronze is the only medal up for grabs.

:agree: uhmm I think my only concern is who will get the Bronze Oly Medal...and there are many contenders: B/S... C/L... P/B...W/P... and I/K to me are the darke horse...don´t know what to expect with the vulnerability of this young promising russian team :eek:hwell: