What will happen in Ice Dancing this year? | Page 3 | Golden Skate

What will happen in Ice Dancing this year?

blackswanphoto

On the Ice
That's too bad. I'll admit, I'm hoping for them rather than Davis & White. They were so magical in 2010 I'd love to see them go out on top. And the thought of them actually being dethroned at the Games is depressing. It's different when the skater has retired by the next Games or can't compete.

Not me.. I do not like Scott Moir

blackswanphoto

On the Ice
Virtue and Moir are a fabulous pair and certainly shined at the 2010 Olympics. Their Mahler performance was fabulous. But it baffles me after they won not one but two Worlds, why they didn't pack it in. It seemed pretty evident that Tessa, particularly, had hit the end. With her physical limitations, it would have made sense to go out on top after the 2012 Worlds and try to package sponsors. If sponsors didn't flock after 2010 why would they now even if they did pull out a win.

One other reason they may not be very marketable is because Scott comes across as the "Angry Short Guy", I mean if he looked like Andrew Poje he may could get away with it.

gmyers

Record Breaker
At Sskam 2010, they were doing a posing section & tripped over each other. The protocol shows -2.00 deductions for falls.

At cor 2011 SD, Charlie's blade caught in a rut in the ice, and he tripped, but didn't fall. No record of this shows on the protocol, because he wasn't doing an element at the time

So skam 2010 was their last point damaging mistake? Amazing. This is what I'm saying! No other team in the world is so mistake free.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
One other reason they may not be very marketable is because Scott comes across as the "Angry Short Guy", I mean if he looked like Andrew Poje he may could get away with it.

Moir and Poje both are handsome guys.
Moir's default mode is affability. Although on rare occasions he shows a feisty side, his parents "brought him up right" :) -- to treat others with warmth, friendliness, and respect. :yes:

As beautiful people on the outside and the inside, Tessa and Scott are a marketer's dream.

Well pretty much V/M have to win gold in Sochi or their value for sponsors absolutely plummet.

And is the same not true for Davis/White?

Also, Meryl recently mentioned in an article that she was dating a skating coach. Any idea who that is? Hope not Igor!!

Rumors have circulated for years that Meryl is dating Zoueva's son (who himself is a coach and who previously dated Tanith and then Tessa).

Matt K

On the Ice
What will happen this year in Ice Dancing?

Davis/White, despite their shortcomings in the skating skills/dance department, will win the gold. Sad, but the gold is already sealed for them. I've made peace with it. D/W were USA's only hope for a gold medal (any medal), and Ashley dethroning as Lady No. 1 will make USFS even more desperate for that gold. I've made peace with it.

Give D/W the gold, have them retire, and let's see talent in ice dancing, again. Skating skills, dancing, deep, beautiful edges, interpretation.

^ Well, there it is, then. The international judges check the desperation meter, and Davis and White it is, despite their many shortcomings. ;)

Matt K

On the Ice
The USFS will politick hard for D/W, as they are the only hope for a gold medal for them, let alone any medal. Before, they might, just might have Ashley fighting for a bronze but her No. 2 ranking behind Gracie Gold puts her out of the picture in Sochi.

And yes, D/W's shortcomings in the skating skills and dancing department is sad for an Olympic champion. But it's CoP now, and as long as you can milk the system and construct your programs as so it can get you the points. Oh well. I just hope the next 2018 Olympic champions will value skating and dancing skills important again. Pure skating skills, deep, fluid edges to gain speed (not running on shallow edges or even flats), connection between partners, completed movements. Lines and extensions, and posture, are important too, but I just want to see more DANCE and skating skills.

And as for a certain uber who thinks I'm talking about ballet on ice, I'm not. As for this person who also thinks I'm talking about lovey dovey crap I'm not. A&P, G&P never did those type of stuff. They were ice dancers. I'm talking about the things that used to be important in ice dancing. Only V/M and a few other teams bring it. D/W do not. Just give them the gold and be done with it. Give the US their only gold medal and be done with it.

I wouldn't count Ashley out yet. The USFSA can offer the judges a deal. Give Ashley fourth place and Jason Brown sixth in exchange for dropping Davis and White to second. The reason the Australian and Finnish judges should go for this is … hmm, that's the hard part, for me.

Matt K

On the Ice
I wouldn't count Ashley out yet. The USFSA can offer the judges a deal. Give Ashley fourth place and Jason Brown sixth in exchange for dropping Davis and White to second. The reason the Australian and Finnish judges should go for this is … hmm, that's the hard part, for me.

Why in the heck would USFS do that?! So a silver medal is better than a gold medal? I don't think so. Lol.

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
I doubt the USFSA will politik hard or any for Ashley at this point. She will have to do it all on her own. They might politik for Gold, or they might put all their efforts into making sure D&W get gold and the Team event, as even Gold isnt a strong medal hope the way the Russians are rising up and with Kim, Asada, Kostner, and Murakami and Suzuki skating so well lately.

Matt K

On the Ice
Did Kostner at Euros skate her FP better than Gold at Nationals? I never watched Euros, only heard she went back to Bolero.

It was all pretty much settled back in 2006. Virtue and Moir would be next, followed by Davis and White. No need for anyone to back out of the deal now.

bramweld

Record Breaker
I really hope that I/K or W/P medal they are my sentimental favorites. I HAVE WATCHED THEIR SHORT AND FREE DANCES JUST OVER AND OVER. JUST CAPTIVATING. After that nothing matters really. D/W will most likely win gold barring a major meltdown which they don't have. But the ice is slippery V/M or some other team could be inspired. Look what happened to Dennis Ten last year. But can those sort of things happen in dance? One can only dream.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
USFSA politicking for Davis & White = :laugh:

Guess that's why us Americans saw SO much of them during the GP series on TV. :sarcasm:

And I'm sure that explains why Gracie Gold has just as many endorsements as D&W despite not having even a tenth of the results D&W had in the last eight years. :confused:

Matt K

On the Ice
USFSA politicking for Davis & White = :laugh:

Uh, yeah. Not so hard to believe. Read all the D/W fan threads about their appearances on the Early show, Today Show, US Weekly, SI, a dozen other magazines, cereal boxes (Kelloggs for god sakes), and Ralph Lauren, and the list goes on, and on and on.

Why do D/W ubers think this is the 90s? The 90s when there was only 1 (ONE) mediocre ice dance team in the USA hardly capable of reaching top 10 internationally? Yeah, US didn't use to care about ice dancing in the 90s when all of their teams really sucked and kept losing to each other that even USFS was confused as to who they should send to international events :laugh:

Quote from Igor Shpilband:
"Dance has changed dramatically in the last 20 years," Shpilband concluded, "But you can see the results: at U.S. nationals, ice dance was one of the most popular events, with more than 10,000 people coming to watch.
http://web.icenetwork.com/news/2014/01/16/66715526/coaches-awed-by-unstoppable-ice-dance-evolution

sky_fly20

Match Penalty

lol, not going to happen :laugh:

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Uh, yeah. Not so hard to believe. Read all the D/W fan threads about their appearances on the Early show, Today Show, US Weekly, SI, a dozen other magazines, cereal boxes (Kelloggs for god sakes), and Ralph Lauren, and the list goes on, and on and on.

Why do D/W ubers think this is the 90s? The 90s when there was only 1 (ONE) mediocre ice dance team in the USA hardly capable of reaching top 10 internationally? Yeah, US didn't use to care about ice dancing in the 90s when all of their teams really sucked and kept losing to each other that even USFS was confused as to who they should send to international events :laugh:

Quote from Igor Shpilband:
"Dance has changed dramatically in the last 20 years," Shpilband concluded, "But you can see the results: at U.S. nationals, ice dance was one of the most popular events, with more than 10,000 people coming to watch.
http://web.icenetwork.com/news/2014/01/16/66715526/coaches-awed-by-unstoppable-ice-dance-evolution

I find it amusing that someone that clearly doesn't like D/W is hanging in their fan threads... :laugh:

Yes, they're getting deals now, but only after many years. The NYT wrote a story a few years ago about how difficult it was for D/W to secure sponsorship in the years leading up to the Olympics: http://www.nytimes.com/2012/03/11/f...-endorsements-follow.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

But so far they have not been able to break through the public consciousness and evolve into crossover stars like such other winter Olympians as Bode Miller.

“Clearly this is an amazingly marketable couple who are talented,” said Marc Beckman, founder of the Designers Management Agency, which represents athletes. “But to get endorsements they need to have a story to tell that helps them emotionally connect with the American Public.”

“I have never heard of them,” he said, “and that is in itself a problem as they have won an Olympic medal. Clearly their agents or managers are not doing enough. It is not their sport that is unpopular, it is more about building a brand for them, and a platform.”

Hailey Ohnuki, who is with IMG and has been their agent since the 2010 Olympics, agrees that Mr. White and Ms. Davis are probably not as well known as they should be, but says it is not for lack of trying, particularly when it comes to social media. Ms. Ohnuki said that Ms. Davis is active on Twitter, and that the skaters have a Facebook fan page.

“I think they have no large endorsements at this point because it is a challenging time in the economy,” Ms. Ohnuki said. “But after the Summer Olympics we plan to get them out there more. They care about literacy issues and kids’ nutrition, so we try to reach out to companies who care about those issues as well.”

The deals they're getting now are only after years or work by their agents and perhaps improvement in the U.S. economy. I don't think they got much help from USFSA to securing these deals.

Big Deal

Final Flight
I'm neither Canadian nor American.
I appreciate the "bravura quality", consistency and easyness of Davis/White and I really like them (even if I find more easy their constant "whopping" technique to the smooth glide and rise and fall of ankles and knees of Virtue/Moir creating speed.But somehow it seems like judges overlook this fact.
Nevertheless it is absolutely unreal to think about that a reigning Olympic Champions like Virtue /Moir with this absolut mesmerizing technique and quality can have a chance to lose. It never happened before and it is difficult to find the reason to happen now.

We are extremly lucky to have these 2 couples blooming together for many years. They are NOT that lucky with each other.
C'est la vie.....