Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Thread: What will happen in Ice Dancing this year?

Custom Title
    D/W will win. V/M might even lose the silver to a perfect I/K or P/B. Their performance at canadian nats left a lot to be desired. VM will definitely retire. I think DW will continue through another quad though.

Custom Title
    thats wishful thinking lol

Custom Title
    V/M haven't looked like they could be beaten by P/B all season! I don't even want to imagine how horrible they would have to be to get beat by I/K. I just kind of imagine a 2011 4CC thing for V/m but they continue the fd.

Custom Title
    D/W and V/M are so far superior to the other teams they are a lock for gold/silver, minor mistakes made by V/M at Nationals notwithstanding. Bronze is the only medal up for grabs.

On the Ice
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckm View Post
    D/W and V/M are so far superior to the other teams they are a lock for gold/silver, minor mistakes made by V/M at Nationals notwithstanding. Bronze is the only medal up for grabs.
    uhmm I think my only concern is who will get the Bronze Oly Medal...and there are many contenders: B/S... C/L... P/B...W/P... and I/K to me are the darke horse...don´t know what to expect with the vulnerability of this young promising russian team

Rinkside
    Have D/W ever formally discussed when they plan to retire? During the Olympic Hangout with Michael Buckley Charlie said something along the lines of "Worlds will be a great way to end the season" (I forget the exact phrasing) but there was no mention of retirement which I thought was interesting. I'm excited about the battle for bronze, I hope there is one and that no one benefits from overly generous scoring.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by First Skate View Post
    Have D/W ever formally discussed when they plan to retire? During the Olympic Hangout with Michael Buckley Charlie said something along the lines of "Worlds will be a great way to end the season" (I forget the exact phrasing) but there was no mention of retirement which I thought was interesting. I'm excited about the battle for bronze, I hope there is one and that no one benefits from overly generous scoring.
    The could totally be the second Grishuk and platov and win 2 Olympics or maybe 3. This is a team that's made no errors in five years! And unless it changes or they have personal or professional desires or interests outside of skating have no reason to leave and there's barely a pro circuit in the US- close to none- they can only compete to skate and there are no close competitors outside of v/m and never would be ever probably.

I love D/W, but it's absolutely wrong to say they haven't made any errors in five years. They certainly have. But overall they are very, very consistent. And that has really helped to mold a great reputation for them, along with improvements to their skating.

I refuse to make a prediction about ice dance at the Olympics because I still think it could go either way. I'd love to see D/W win, that is what I hope for, but they really need to beef up the SD. It's lacking in choreography; I don't see many Derek Hough touches, which makes me wonder if most of what he did for it has not been seen in competition. V/M have the better SD, and though this FD is probably one of my least favorite of theirs (along with 'Umbrellas' and 'Mahler'), it's definitely not bad. But I don't think it's as good as Scheherezade is for D/W.

Custom Title
    I have looked and except for a level 3 instead level 4 d/w have not had any real damaging mistakes in any program at any time in the past five years. Every single other couple Has a failed lift or twizzle or level 1 or fall or something. And d/w are really really amazing in how there's been not one error or one mistake!

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by lmarie086 View Post
    I love D/W, but it's absolutely wrong to say they haven't made any errors in five years. They certainly have. But overall they are very, very consistent. And that has really helped to mold a great reputation for them, along with improvements to their skating.

I refuse to make a prediction about ice dance at the Olympics because I still think it could go either way. I'd love to see D/W win, that is what I hope for, but they really need to beef up the SD. It's lacking in choreography; I don't see many Derek Hough touches, which makes me wonder if most of what he did for it has not been seen in competition. V/M have the better SD, and though this FD is probably one of my least favorite of theirs (along with 'Umbrellas' and 'Mahler'), it's definitely not bad. But I don't think it's as good as Scheherezade is for D/W.
    I would have Virtue and Moir about 2.1 points ahead in the SD and D and W about 1.7 ahead in the FD if they skated their best. It would be close; it still bothers me that as good as D/W are they are as charismatic as a lot of the top oly teams in the past. They are a nice couple but imho even if you didn't like their skating with ie. Gritschuk and Platov they had a lot of charisma especially her likewise Bestmianvoa and Bukin, Klimova and Pomarenko, Usova and Zhulin, Navka andKostomorov, Minnie and Mo, etc. But what I think doesn't matter the judges will do what they want. I seriously doubt though D and W will make it another quad without a meltdown. Someone will rival them whehter it be that French team first year in seniors or a Russian team or WEave and Poje of their compatriots.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Skater Boy View Post
    I would have Virtue and Moir about 2.1 points ahead in the SD and D and W about 1.7 ahead in the FD if they skated their best. It would be close; it still bothers me that as good as D/W are they are as charismatic as a lot of the top oly teams in the past. They are a nice couple but imho even if you didn't like their skating with ie. Gritschuk and Platov they had a lot of charisma especially her likewise Bestmianvoa and Bukin, Klimova and Pomarenko, Usova and Zhulin, Navka andKostomorov, Minnie and Mo, etc. But what I think doesn't matter the judges will do what they want. I seriously doubt though D and W will make it another quad without a meltdown. Someone will rival them whehter it be that French team first year in seniors or a Russian team or WEave and Poje of their compatriots.
    If you mean "not as charismatic" than I totally agree! One thing to blame and that's usfs training i think! I am just glad they moved to actually saying they want gold! What an enormous breakthrough for them in terms of pr.

Outdated Old Dinosaur
    Quote Originally Posted by Skater Boy View Post
    I fully agree that the teams are close, and I agree they're both a notch ahead of the rest of the field.

But, if you look at competitive results, the international judges have shown a clear preference for D/W for a couple of years. There must be some reason why... and I don't think it's just the "judges doing what they do." Looking at the past quad, the pattern shows that D/W caught up, and then surpassed, V/M.

Of course, anything can still happen... I didn't think it was possible that the DF program would not win the WC... but it didn't.

Custom Title
    Thanks goodness real competition begins in two weeks. I don't know if I'll be able to sake much more suspense.

I wonder if both teams will be likely to skip out on the team event. They certainly have strong replacements with Chock/Bates and Weaver/Poje.

I remember thinking last year how utterly fabulous Davis and White were at Nationals and they still managed to increase on what they did for worlds. Their performance at Nationals was extraordinary, but honestly even within that, I felt like I saw room for growth... oddly enough I also feel like they deserved a perfect score but hey...

From my view, I think V/M have grown with their SD more and I think D/W have grown with their FD more.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by samson View Post
    Thanks goodness real competition begins in two weeks. I don't know if I'll be able to sake much more suspense.

I wonder if both teams will be likely to skip out on the team event. They certainly have strong replacements with Chock/Bates and Weaver/Poje.

I remember thinking last year how utterly fabulous Davis and White were at Nationals and they still managed to increase on what they did for worlds. Their performance at Nationals was extraordinary, but honestly even within that, I felt like I saw room for growth... oddly enough I also feel like they deserved a perfect score but hey...

From my view, I think V/M have grown with their SD more and I think D/W have grown with their FD more.
    It would be insane for either team to skip the team event - its basically a free medal.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by gmyers View Post
    The could totally be the second Grishuk and platov and win 2 Olympics or maybe 3. This is a team that's made no errors in five years! And unless it changes or they have personal or professional desires or interests outside of skating have no reason to leave and there's barely a pro circuit in the US- close to none- they can only compete to skate and there are no close competitors outside of v/m and never would be ever probably.
    There have been several errors within five years for Davis/White, they had a fall in 2010 and 2011. That being said this year they do have a much, much better FD than Virtue/Moir and an equal SD. The biggest problem with Virtue/Moir FD is that its similar to Mahler but not nearly as good, which will invite comparisons in a negative light. The other thing is that it is just not an Olympic champion program. The music is the culprit. The biggest issue though is that it is too subtle for casual skating viewers, or someone that does not know about skating to appreciate. It just does not have the excitement for people that watch the Olympics every four years. They would probably tune it out. Even the Canadian commentators were saying something along these lines, which shocked me because they are usually all praises.

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast