Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast

Thread: What will happen in Ice Dancing this year?

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by blackswanphoto View Post
    There have been several errors within five years for Davis/White, they had a fall in 2010 and 2011. That being said this year they do have a much, much better FD than Virtue/Moir and an equal SD. The biggest problem with Virtue/Moir FD is that its similar to Mahler but not nearly as good, which will invite comparisons in a negative light. The other thing is that it is just not an Olympic champion program. The music is the culprit. The biggest issue though is that it is too subtle for casual skating viewers, or someone that does not know about skating to appreciate. It just does not have the excitement for people that watch the Olympics every four years. They would probably tune it out. Even the Canadian commentators were saying something along these lines, which shocked me because they are usually all praises.
    Falls in 2010 and 2011? They have not missed an element. Those situations were not p/b at 2011 worlds situations. They have none of them in 5 years. They have perfectly executed or nearly perfectly execute every technical element in 5 years.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by gmyers View Post
    Falls in 2010 and 2011? They have not missed an element. Those situations were not p/b at 2011 worlds situations. They have none of them in 5 years. They have perfectly executed or nearly perfectly execute every technical element in 5 years.
    Check out the grand prix series.. They had a fall at Skate America 2010 (Could be another GP event) in the tango long program. And Charlie fell in the short dance at Cup of Russia 2011.. There were errors at other competitions like Four Continents 2012.

Custom Title
    I didn't see a minus one. What you mean by "fall".

Custom Title
    To be frank, meaning they were flat on their a**

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    At Sskam 2010, they were doing a posing section & tripped over each other. The protocol shows -2.00 deductions for falls.

At cor 2011 SD, Charlie's blade caught in a rut in the ice, and he tripped, but didn't fall. No record of this shows on the protocol, because he wasn't doing an element at the time
    Last edited by dorispulaski; 01-23-2014 at 07:45 PM.

Tripping on the Podium
    Quote Originally Posted by dorispulaski View Post
    At Sskam 2010, they were doing a posing section & tripped over each other. The protocol shows -2.00 deductions for falls.

At cor 2011 SD, Charlie's blade caught in a rut in the ice, and he tripped, but didn't fall. No record of this shows on the protocol, because he wasn't doing an element at the time
    Question - what's with the tension this time around between the two teams? I thought they were good friends, especially Scott and Charlie.

Custom Title

Davis and White Play their options

Quote Originally Posted by First Skate View Post
    Have D/W ever formally discussed when they plan to retire? During the Olympic Hangout with Michael Buckley Charlie said something along the lines of "Worlds will be a great way to end the season" (I forget the exact phrasing) but there was no mention of retirement which I thought was interesting. I'm excited about the battle for bronze, I hope there is one and that no one benefits from overly generous scoring.
    I think Davis and White will command at the Olympics. They are such an intelligent pair of athletes! I think they epitomize the complete athlete-body and mind. The only thing I think that could derail their continued competitive goals are their personal goals. Both are very entrenched in completing their education. And Tanith may be pressuring Charlie for a formal commitment i.e. marriage. Also, Meryl recently mentioned in an article that she was dating a skating coach. Any idea who that is? Hope not Igor!! Either way they are both soaring with endorsements and deserve the money they are pulling in. Maybe that's worth sticking around for another year or so.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by SoundtracksOnIce View Post
    Question - what's with the tension this time around between the two teams? I thought they were good friends, especially Scott and Charlie.
    Well pretty much V/M have to win gold in Sochi or their value for sponsors absolutely plummet. It already looks kinda bad with them being beaten by Davis/White so often. V/M would not be very marketable with a loss in Sochi, even for Canadian sponsors, as they have Eugenie Bouchard and Patrick Chan now.

Tripping on the Podium
    That's too bad. I'll admit, I'm hoping for them rather than Davis & White. They were so magical in 2010 I'd love to see them go out on top. And the thought of them actually being dethroned at the Games is depressing. It's different when the skater has retired by the next Games or can't compete.

Custom Title
    Virtue and Moir are a fabulous pair and certainly shined at the 2010 Olympics. Their Mahler performance was fabulous. But it baffles me after they won not one but two Worlds, why they didn't pack it in. It seemed pretty evident that Tessa, particularly, had hit the end. With her physical limitations, it would have made sense to go out on top after the 2012 Worlds and try to package sponsors. If sponsors didn't flock after 2010 why would they now even if they did pull out a win.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by SoundtracksOnIce View Post
    That's too bad. I'll admit, I'm hoping for them rather than Davis & White. They were so magical in 2010 I'd love to see them go out on top. And the thought of them actually being dethroned at the Games is depressing. It's different when the skater has retired by the next Games or can't compete.
    Not me.. I do not like Scott Moir

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by slider11 View Post
    Virtue and Moir are a fabulous pair and certainly shined at the 2010 Olympics. Their Mahler performance was fabulous. But it baffles me after they won not one but two Worlds, why they didn't pack it in. It seemed pretty evident that Tessa, particularly, had hit the end. With her physical limitations, it would have made sense to go out on top after the 2012 Worlds and try to package sponsors. If sponsors didn't flock after 2010 why would they now even if they did pull out a win.
    One other reason they may not be very marketable is because Scott comes across as the "Angry Short Guy", I mean if he looked like Andrew Poje he may could get away with it.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by dorispulaski View Post

So skam 2010 was their last point damaging mistake? Amazing. This is what I'm saying! No other team in the world is so mistake free.

Celebrating the Excellence of #VirtueMoir golden411's Avatar
    One other reason they may not be very marketable is because Scott comes across as the "Angry Short Guy", I mean if he looked like Andrew Poje he may could get away with it.
    Moir and Poje both are handsome guys.
    Moir's default mode is affability. Although on rare occasions he shows a feisty side, his parents "brought him up right" -- to treat others with warmth, friendliness, and respect.

As beautiful people on the outside and the inside, Tessa and Scott are a marketer's dream.

Well pretty much V/M have to win gold in Sochi or their value for sponsors absolutely plummet.
    And is the same not true for Davis/White?

Quote Originally Posted by slider11 View Post
    Also, Meryl recently mentioned in an article that she was dating a skating coach. Any idea who that is? Hope not Igor!!
    Rumors have circulated for years that Meryl is dating Zoueva's son (who himself is a coach and who previously dated Tanith and then Tessa).

Custom Title
    What will happen this year in Ice Dancing?

Davis/White, despite their shortcomings in the skating skills/dance department, will win the gold. Sad, but the gold is already sealed for them. I've made peace with it. D/W were USA's only hope for a gold medal (any medal), and Ashley dethroning as Lady No. 1 will make USFS even more desperate for that gold. I've made peace with it.

Give D/W the gold, have them retire, and let's see talent in ice dancing, again. Skating skills, dancing, deep, beautiful edges, interpretation.

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast