What will happen in Ice Dancing this year? | Page 4 | Golden Skate

What will happen in Ice Dancing this year?

KKonas

Medalist
The USFS will politick hard for D/W, as they are the only hope for a gold medal for them, let alone any medal. Before, they might, just might have Ashley fighting for a bronze but her No. 2 ranking behind Gracie Gold puts her out of the picture in Sochi.

And yes, D/W's shortcomings in the skating skills and dancing department is sad for an Olympic champion. But it's CoP now, and as long as you can milk the system and construct your programs as so it can get you the points. Oh well. I just hope the next 2018 Olympic champions will value skating and dancing skills important again. Pure skating skills, deep, fluid edges to gain speed (not running on shallow edges or even flats), connection between partners, completed movements. Lines and extensions, and posture, are important too, but I just want to see more DANCE and skating skills.

And as for a certain uber who thinks I'm talking about ballet on ice, I'm not. As for this person who also thinks I'm talking about lovey dovey crap I'm not. A&P, G&P never did those type of stuff. They were ice dancers. I'm talking about the things that used to be important in ice dancing. Only V/M and a few other teams bring it. D/W do not. Just give them the gold and be done with it. Give the US their only gold medal and be done with it.

Praise for D&W from Dick Button
Icenetwork: Watching the skaters in Boston, what was a big positive?
Button: Well, you've given me very broad ground there. It's hard to answer. Let me say that Meryl Davis and Charlie White are absolutely the supreme quality of what we are looking at. I was watching them today, and their technical merit of skating is simply exquisite. The way they float over the ice, the way they move, the constancy, the comfort they have, is simply mind-blowing.

No, it wasn't. It was D/S in 2010, then V/M in 2014.

I guess we're about to find out. ;)

Nevertheless it is absolutely unreal to think about that a reigning Olympic Champions like Virtue /Moir with this absolut mesmerizing technique and quality can have a chance to lose.

Mind-boggling. Simply mind-boggling. :yes:

Matt K

On the Ice
Praise for D&W from Dick Button
Icenetwork: Watching the skaters in Boston, what was a big positive?
Button: Well, you've given me very broad ground there. It's hard to answer. Let me say that Meryl Davis and Charlie White are absolutely the supreme quality of what we are looking at. I was watching them today, and their technical merit of skating is simply exquisite. The way they float over the ice, the way they move, the constancy, the comfort they have, is simply mind-blowing.

Dick Button is American (NOT an ice dancer) so his remarks don't surprise me. He praises American ice dancers to the skies (he loved B/A back in 2006 over pretty much everyone despite all their mistakes and weaknesses). In fact here is Dick Button's remarks FOUR years earlier, after D/W's 2010 Nationals FD, comparing their POTO to T/D's 1984 Bolero:
http://popwatch.ew.com/2010/01/25/meryl-davis-charlie-white-us-champs/

Dick Button, who’d already amused/confused me with a “magical soufflé” metaphor he used earlier in the weekend, referred to Davis & White’s free skate to music from The Phantom of the Opera as “one of the iconic performances of all time…. I mean it ranked right up there with the great performances of Torvill and Dean in ’84 and with Salé and Pelletier in 2002.”

So D/W's Nationals POTO FD in 2010 = T/D legendary Olympic Bolero. Um...okay. SERIOUSLY??!! *hand me a barfbag quick*

:laugh:

Matt K

On the Ice
I find it amusing that someone that clearly doesn't like D/W is hanging in their fan threads... :laugh:

Yes, they're getting deals now, but only after many years. The NYT wrote a story a few years ago about how difficult it was for D/W to secure sponsorship in the years leading up to the Olympics: http://www.nytimes.com/2012/03/11/f...-endorsements-follow.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

The deals they're getting now are only after years or work by their agents and perhaps improvement in the U.S. economy. I don't think they got much help from USFSA to securing these deals.

D/W have the most sponsorships, endorsements, of any ice dance team currently competing today.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
... Gracie Gold has just as many endorsements as D&W despite not having even a tenth of the results D&W had in the last eight years. :confused:

D/W have the most sponsorships, endorsements, of any ice dance team currently competing today.

What Mrs. P said is what is maddening about the relative "status" of Davis/White.

The situation for the Canadians makes more sense:
It's not as if Kaetlyn Osmond has as many big sponsorships as Virtue/Moir, AFAIK. (I like Osmond and V/M. Just stating facts here.)

Matt K

On the Ice
What Mrs. P said is what is maddening about the relative "status" of Davis/White.

The situation for the Canadians makes more sense:
It's not as if Kaetlyn Osmond has as many big sponsorships as Virtue/Moir, AFAIK. (I like Osmond and V/M. Just stating facts here.)

I'm not sure about that. I did some research. Kaetlyn has at least 2 sponsors. What does V/M have, besides the P&G bit (D/W have that too)

ice coverage

Record Breaker
I'm not sure about that. I did some research. Kaetlyn has at least 2 sponsors. What does V/M have, besides the P&G bit (D/W have that too)

Off the top of my head:
Virtue/Moir also have RBC (Royal Bank of Canada), PWC (Price Waterhouse Coopers), Lindt Chocolate, and I forget what else. Audi, which either was or still is one of their sponsors, gave each of them a car within the last year or so.

I do recall reading at one time or another that Osmond does have a couple of sponsors, but the names seemed much more obscure to me (as an American, at least), IIRC. All I know is that I have zero recollection of who they are.

blackswanphoto

On the Ice
What will happen this year in Ice Dancing?

Davis/White, despite their shortcomings in the skating skills/dance department, will win the gold. Sad, but the gold is already sealed for them. I've made peace with it. D/W were USA's only hope for a gold medal (any medal), and Ashley dethroning as Lady No. 1 will make USFS even more desperate for that gold. I've made peace with it.

Give D/W the gold, have them retire, and let's see talent in ice dancing, again. Skating skills, dancing, deep, beautiful edges, interpretation.

Getting the excuses ready already I see. If D/W skate clean, they SHOULD win. Virtue/Moir are worse skaters than they were four years ago with a 2nd tier remake of the previous Olympic program.. If a crappy long program like that brings home gold.. god help us.

And the reason they are not getting sponsors is because what companies want to associate their name with someone like Scott Moir and a team who gets consistently whipped by Davis/White.

People will be surprised at how much better Chock & Bates are than they were at the beginning of the season.
Igor agrees with me :yes:

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=pddf82...top_uri=/watch?v=pddf824-rYk&feature=youtu.be

The above is the Novi send- off video for its Sochi bound students. Evan's comments as a returning Olympian are particularly apt.

Is this the thread about who's pretty? Madison Chock is. :)

This was last night, right in my back yard, and Golden411 was kind enough to alert me about it. But I couldn't go, in part because of the weather. :cry:

ice coverage

Record Breaker
what companies want to associate their name with someone like Scott Moir and a team who gets consistently whipped by Davis/White.

ICYMI:
For starters, five prominent examples of Virtue/Moir's sponsors are in post #68 above. :)

blackswanphoto

On the Ice
ICYMI:
For starters, five prominent examples of Virtue/Moir's sponsors are in post #68 above. :)

Thats nothing for Olympic champions in a country where skating is so prominent... not even very big companies.. most probably signed on before Scott started putting his foot in his mouth... and that trashy reality series does nothing to help their cause.. It makes him look even worse.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Thats nothing for Olympic champions in a country where skating is so prominent... not even very big companies.. most probably signed on before Scott started putting his foot in his mouth....

:rofl: You have absolutely no idea what you're talking about. :laugh:

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
People will be surprised at how much better Chock & Bates are than they were at the beginning of the season.
Yes! They absolutely blew me away in Boston! D&W - yes, they're amazing, but there's no surprise there. C&B, though - wow!

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Off the top of my head:
Virtue/Moir also have RBC (Royal Bank of Canada), PWC (Price Waterhouse Coopers), Lindt Chocolate, and I forget what else. Audi, which either was or still is one of their sponsors, gave each of them a car within the last year or so.

I do recall reading at one time or another that Osmond does have a couple of sponsors, but the names seemed much more obscure to me (as an American, at least), IIRC. All I know is that I have zero recollection of who they are.

Thats nothing for Olympic champions in a country where skating is so prominent... not even very big companies.. most probably signed on before Scott started putting his foot in his mouth... and that trashy reality series does nothing to help their cause.. It makes him look even worse.

RBC = The Royal Bank of Canada, RBC Royal Bank or RBC Financial Group is the largest financial institution in Canada, as measured by deposits, revenues, and market capitalization. The bank serves 18 million clients and has 80,100 employees worldwide. (They also have stock exchanged in New York). They are not some small financial Canadian company. They have many branches/operations internationally. Also "RBC is listed as the largest Canadian company by revenue and market capitalization by The Globe and Mail[5] and was ranked at number 53 on the 2008 Forbes Global 2000 listing, and currently ranked at 50 in the 2013 listing.[6][7] The company has operations in Canada, and 51 other countries."

Lindt Chocolate = Lindt & Sprüngli, revenues of more than $2 million based in Switzerland. I have Lindt Chocolate in my cabinet!

Price Water Coopers = A multinational professional services firm headquartered in London, United Kingdom.[2] It is the world's second largest professional services firm measured by 2013 revenues, and is one of the Big Four auditors, along with Deloitte, Ernst & Young (EY) and KPMG.[5]
PwC has offices in 776 cities across 159 countries and employs over 180,000 people.[4] It had total revenues of $31.5 billion in FY 2012, of which $14.9 billion was generated by its Assurance practice, $7.9 billion by its Tax practice and $8.7 billion by its Advisory practice.[4]
The firm was formed in 1998 by a merger between Coopers & Lybrand and Price Waterhouse.[1] The trading name was shortened to PwC in September 2010 as part of a major rebranding exercise.[6]
As of 2012 PwC United States is the fifth-largest privately owned organization in the United States.[7]

And Audi = Audi AG is a German automobile manufacturer that designs, engineers, manufactures and distributes automobiles. Audi oversees worldwide operations from its headquarters in Ingolstadt, Bavaria, Germany. (Revenues $48 billion)...

Try doing some research before you spout out random things, OK? :laugh:

BlackPack

Medalist
SO... I suppose Anissina and Peizerat never made their comeback after all. Six months ago, their "comeback" debate was quite heated but almost universally mocked. :biggrin:

BlackPack

Medalist
Igor agrees with me :yes:

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=pddf82...top_uri=/watch?v=pddf824-rYk&feature=youtu.be

The above is the Novi send- off video for its Sochi bound students. Evan's comments as a returning Olympian are particularly apt.

Chock and Bates were brilliant. The future of ice dancing after the retirement of the past quad's 1-2 will be very exciting indeed.

Coco Usagi

Rinkside
Golden411 is right. The only times I have seen V/M on an ad was for Roots right after the Olympics in 2010. Sure figure skating is popular enough in Canada...but it will never ever top hockey, and that's where all the sponsors are. Sidney Crosby's face is everywhere up here...