What will happen in Ice Dancing this year? | Page 9 | Golden Skate

What will happen in Ice Dancing this year?

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
http://www.freep.com/article/20140220/SPORTS17/302200139
The Shibs are not sure to come back next season??? :eek:, ***, they are only 22 and 19 yo, they are serious :cry:?, I never heard about this before this article. I hope it is only a misunderstanding.

I'm not surprised. They have been falling in the world standings and even if Meryl and Charlie retire, I would put my money on Chock and Bates over the Shibs for 2015 Nationals. They are both studying at the U. of Michigan, maybe they just want to move on to the next thing in their lives.

Barb

Record Breaker
I'm not surprised. They have been falling in the world standings and even if Meryl and Charlie retire, I would put my money on Chock and Bates over the Shibs for 2015 Nationals. They are both studying at the U. of Michigan, maybe they just want to move on to the next thing in their lives.
But they are very young, Meryl won her olympic silver at 23 years old. Maia is only 19, ok, if the problem are the results I am with everyone saying the should split and try a new partner. But not just leave.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
But they are very young, Meryl won her olympic silver at 23 years old. Maia is only 19, ok, if the problem are the results I am with everyone saying the should split and try a new partner. But not just leave.

But they might have other interests and things they want to pursue. Alex, in particular, seems like he wants to try other things. I think that's what is great about them. Skating has never been the sole thing in their lives.

Barb

Record Breaker
But they might have other interests and things they want to pursue. Alex, in particular, seems like he wants to try other things. I think that's what is great about them. Skating has never been the sole thing in their lives.

Ok, so I hope Alex going full time to University and Maia get another partner :scowl:
And what about Ana and Luca?, please someone tell me they are continuing .

Ryan O

Final Flight
Country
Canada

And if Hubbell & Donohue stay in for another cycle, it's also possible that The Shibs could end up finishing behind them, too. I think H&D gained some ground on The Shibs this year, didn't they?

dcnative

On the Ice
I was just re-watching the Shibs FD and I think that with the proper attention they could definitely contend to become US #1s. They need the right programs to showcase their talents though.

tulosai

Record Breaker

I think it would make little sense for them to try to find new partners if they want to stay in the sport (if one wants to leave and the other wants to stay, of course the one who is to stay should try to find a new partner if they want, don't get me wrong, but I think it would be dumb of them to split and look for new partners generally). I think actually they would benefit from either a coaching change or a pair of fresh eyes choreographically at least. I greatly respect Zoueva but I think a big part of their issue is she does not really know what to do with a sibling team.

I do see how this might be a logical time for them to retire depending on how much they still enjoy skating, their other life interests, and their long-to-mid term goals both in and out of skating. I don't doubt that they could fight their way up the world ranks again with better programs if they were hitting their levels, and I don't think they doubt that either. Even if they are 'doomed' to be the US #2/3 team, they are still getting top 10 finishes in the world and could doubtless continue to get international medals (though at which events and of which color is a different question maybe). I think the real question is what they want out of life. For example, if one thing they really wanted was an Olympic Experience, they have that now. If they are gunning for an Oly medal, then that's a different question.

I wish them well whatever they decide but I hope they will keep competing, possibly with a new coach. I don't have the sense that they have maxed out their potential.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I think it would make little sense for them to try to find new partners if they want to stay in the sport (if one wants to leave and the other wants to stay, of course the one who is to stay should try to find a new partner if they want, don't get me wrong, but I think it would be dumb of them to split and look for new partners generally). I think actually they would benefit from either a coaching change or a pair of fresh eyes choreographically at least. I greatly respect Zoueva but I think a big part of their issue is she does not really know what to do with a sibling team.

I do see how this might be a logical time for them to retire depending on how much they still enjoy skating, their other life interests, and their long-to-mid term goals both in and out of skating. I don't doubt that they could fight their way up the world ranks again with better programs if they were hitting their levels, and I don't think they doubt that either. Even if they are 'doomed' to be the US #2/3 team, they are still getting top 10 finishes in the world and could doubtless continue to get international medals (though at which events and of which color is a different question maybe). I think the real question is what they want out of life. For example, if one thing they really wanted was an Olympic Experience, they have that now. If they are gunning for an Oly medal, then that's a different question.

I wish them well whatever they decide but I hope they will keep competing, possibly with a new coach. I don't have the sense that they have maxed out their potential.

All good points. That's my take on the situation.

I don't think we should take their statement to the Freep as "definite retirement." I think they are just simply wanting to take it competition by competition and not get to hung up on 2018 or the ominous future.

Barb

Record Breaker
Maia and Alex definitely made the most of their Olympic experience. Their twitter and instagram feeds were amongst the most lively and positive throughout the Games.

NBC Olympics Article

" … Let’s just get this out of the way: The Shibutanis won the Olympics..."
http://www.nbcolympics.com/news/des...n-making-most-olympic-experience?ctx=team-usa
Wow, what a cool article :clap:, very true, they won the olympics. Sometimes I wonder if they are in drugs :p because they are always so happy. I hope they continue, but if they not, I am sure they will achieve everything they want :yes:

blancanieves

On the Ice
And if Hubbell & Donohue stay in for another cycle, it's also possible that The Shibs could end up finishing behind them, too. I think H&D gained some ground on The Shibs this year, didn't they?

Madi said in an interview that she and Zach committed to two Olympic cycles at the outset of their partnership.

In 2012 H/D came in 27 points behind the Shibutanis at Nationals, in 2013, the difference between them was 6 points, and in 2014, 2 points. Internationally, they met once this season at SA and the scores were close again, less than 2 points (despite reduced training time and skating with a torn labrum all season long). I'd say they're definitely gaining ground.

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
It would be a crying shame if the ShibSibs quit. Yes, the MJ program was, to be generous, a failed experiment, but sometimes a no can be a yes. I think they need to find a better choreographer. I can't imagine that with Voir gone and Marlie likely to retire as well, that Zoueva is not going to pick up another team or two. She's coached the last two Olympic champions. She won't lack for applicants. And where will that leave the Shibs? The perpetual number 2 or 3. Honestly, after their first senior year with Zoueva (and Shpilband until he was forced out), it genuinely appeared that Zoueva doesn't know what to do with them. It's been one miscalculation after another: a FD the year after they won bronze that was a virtual carbon copy of the first; recycling a junior program; the ill-fit of a music piece so associated with the Duchenays they might as well have copyrighted it; and now the Michael Jackson mismatch. They deserve better.

Ryan O

Final Flight
Country
Canada
Madi said in an interview that she and Zach committed to two Olympic cycles at the outset of their partnership.

In 2012 H/D came in 27 points behind the Shibutanis at Nationals, in 2013, the difference between them was 6 points, and in 2014, 2 points. Internationally, they met once this season at SA and the scores were close again, less than 2 points (despite reduced training time and skating with a torn labrum all season long). I'd say they're definitely gaining ground.

That's why I said above that H&D are closing the gap with The Shibutanis. Doris is right that they had an injury this season, but they still performed pretty well under the circumstances on the GP and at Nationals, and they managed to win 4 Continents (although Gilles & Poirier gave them a close contest!)