Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Who were the favorites for OGMs four years ago?

Custom Title

Who were the favorites for OGMs four years ago?

I am wondering if the favorites won at the Vancouver Olympics. I know that Yuna Kim was the overwhelming favorite for the ladies. Evan Lysacek had just won gold at Worlds and at the GPF the year before but there were other contenders including Plushenko. In dance, were there co-favorites or were the Canadians a big surprise? Were B/A expected to place above them? What about the Russians? And in pairs, were the Chinese expected to win? Or were all the fans hoping they would? How many of the figure skaters that won gold in the previous season win OGM in the Olympics? Who were the biggest surprises on the podiums?

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by sweetskates1 View Post
    I am wondering if the favorites won at the Vancouver Olympics. I know that Yuna Kim was the overwhelming favorite for the ladies. Evan Lysacek had just won gold at Worlds and at the GPF the previous season but there were other contenders including Plushenko. In dance, were there co-favorites or were the Canadians a big surprise? Were B/A expected to place above them? What about the Russians? And in pairs, were the Chinese expected to win? Or were all the fans hoping they would? How many of the figure skaters that won gold in the previous season win OGM in the Olympics? Who were the biggest surprises on the podiums?
    Lysacek won the GPF gold in the Olympic season.

Custom Title
    I think Patrick Chan was one of the favorites for mens. I read somewhere Plushenko watched his practices for make him uncomfortable.

Outdated Old Dinosaur
    I'm old and memory fades. Alas.

But I recall Patrick being spoken of in the same vein as Jason Brown is this year.

A huge talent and a tremendous prospect for the future... but not quite a real podium contender if everyone skates well.

Custom Title
    Thank you for the correction - I edited so that it reads previous year (2009).

Quote Originally Posted by Jaana View Post
    Lysacek won the GPF gold in the Olympic season.

Custom Title
    Chan was being predicted for silver by sports illustrated!! Silver was being predicted for lysacek by USA today. Plushenko was favorite for gold because people thought quad was important in skating.

Everyone had v/m gold dw silver and d/s Russia bronze

Pairs was all s/z

Ladies was all Yuna

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by TontoK View Post
    I'm old and memory fades. Alas.

But I recall Patrick being spoken of in the same vein as Jason Brown is this year.

A huge talent and a tremendous prospect for the future... but not quite a real podium contender if everyone skates well.
    All the big sports publications had chan down for a medal

Custom Title
    I would say:

Women: Yu-Na Kim was the overwhelming favourite
    Men: Evan Lysacek, all three Japanese men, Evgeny Plushenko. Patrick Chan was considered a possible medal threat, just not gold. Yet.
    Dance: Davis and White, Virtue and Moir
    Pairs: S/S, Shen/Zhao.

Missing Tdizzle and SDiggity golden411's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by gmyers View Post
    Chan was being predicted for silver by sports illustrated!! Silver was being predicted for lysacek by USA today. Plushenko was favorite for gold because people thought quad was important in skating.

Everyone had v/m gold dw silver and d/s Russia bronze ...
    I am 99% sure that Davis/White were being touted for gold by Sports Illustrated and/or another influential U.S. voice (possibly USA Today, although I don't remember exactly).
    (D/W had just won the GPF.)

Custom Title
    Ladies-Yu Na Kim
    Men-Evgeny Plushenko
    Dance-Virtue and Moir
    Pairs-Shen and Zhao

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by golden411 View Post
    I am 99% sure that Davis/White were being touted for gold by Sports Illustrated and/or another influential U.S. voice (possibly USA Today, although I don't remember exactly).
    (D/W had just won the GPF.)
    You are right! AP and SI were declaring DW gold. I was thinking of predictors being unanimous d/s Russia wouldn't win.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/201...2/medal.picks/

http://www.gamesbids.com/forums/topi...l-predictions/

Missing Tdizzle and SDiggity golden411's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by gmyers View Post
    You are right! AP and SI were declaring DW gold. I was thinking of predictors being unanimous d/s Russia wouldn't win.

http://www.zimbio.com/Lindsey+Vonn/a...+Cover+Sizzles

http://sports.yahoo.com/olympics/van...urn=oly,216831
    Thx for the confirmation, gmyers.

Custom Title
    Here was USA Today

http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/sport...rojections.htm

They were not saying Chan but Oda. They were the ones who said V/M and got the whole podium right.

FIGURE SKATING

Spotlight will be on: Not since Brian Boitano won on Canadian ice in the 1988 Calgary Games has a U.S. man won Olympic figure skating gold. Reigning world champion Evan Lysacek could repeat Boitano's feat. The U.S. women, meanwhile, could be shut out of medals for the first time since 1964.

Women's singles

Gold: Kim Yu-na, South Korea

Silver: Miki Ando, Japan

Bronze: Mao Asada, Japan

Men's singles

Gold: Evgeni Plushenko, Russia

Silver: Evan Lysacek, USA

Bronze: Nobunari Oda, Japan

Pairs

Gold: Shen Xue and Zhao Hongbo, China

Silver: Aliona Savchenko and Robin Szolkowy, Germany

Bronze: Yuko Kavaguti and Alexander Smirnov, Russia

Ice dancing

Gold: Tessa Virtue and Scott Moir, Canada

Silver: Meryl Davis and Charlie White, USA

Bronze: Oksana Domnina and Maxim Shabalin, Russia

In mens, I think Plushenko was the overwhelming favourite but Chan was also a co-favourite. IIRC, many people didn't expect Lysacek to win. I could be wrong, but I think there were even some who thought Weir would finish higher than him. I remember a lot of people being surprised at Chan "only" being in 5th place, but I think that's around what he deserved since he didn't skate his best.

Ladies - Yu-Na was the overwhelming favourite, and then Mao. Rochette was considered one of the bronze contenders, IIRC, but people were also strongly pegging Flatt, Nagasu, and maybe even Lepisto for bronze. I could be forgetting someone else here.. I think there were murmurings of Suzuki as a possible bronze medalist too.

Pairs - S/Z were the favourites along with S/S, but I don't think many people expected P/T to beat S/S or win the free skate. Some expected K/S or Mukhortova/Trankov in the bronze medal position.

Dance - I think people knew that D/W or V/M would win, but weren't sure which one. I know I thought B/A would be on the podium, and I think others felt the same, since Domnina/Shabalin weren't in their best form. I think some people spoke of D/S as favourites for a medal, too, since they had been the '08 World Champions, but unfortunately did not skate like in '08.

Oh yeah, reading the other posts, I forgot about Oda. It's too bad about his equipment problems in the free, and didn't he also "pull an Oda," doing too many combos?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast