Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Who were the favorites for OGMs four years ago?

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by blue_idealist View Post
    In mens, I think Plushenko was the overwhelming favourite but Chan was also a co-favourite. IIRC, many people didn't expect Lysacek to win. I could be wrong, but I think there were even some who thought Weir would finish higher than him. I remember a lot of people being surprised at Chan "only" being in 5th place, but I think that's around what he deserved since he didn't skate his best.

Ladies - Yu-Na was the overwhelming favourite, and then Mao. Rochette was considered one of the bronze contenders, IIRC, but people were also strongly pegging Flatt, Nagasu, and maybe even Lepisto for bronze. I could be forgetting someone else here.. I think there were murmurings of Suzuki as a possible bronze medalist too.

Pairs - S/Z were the favourites along with S/S, but I don't think many people expected P/T to beat S/S or win the free skate. Some expected K/S or Mukhortova/Trankov in the bronze medal position.

Dance - I think people knew that D/W or V/M would win, but weren't sure which one. I know I thought B/A would be on the podium, and I think others felt the same, since Domnina/Shabalin weren't in their best form. I think some people spoke of D/S as favourites for a medal, too, since they had been the '08 World Champions, but unfortunately did not skate like in '08.
    There wasn't anyone who was doing predictions for press not predicting lysacek for a medal!

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by blue_idealist View Post
    Oh yeah, reading the other posts, I forgot about Oda. It's too bad about his equipment problems in the free, and didn't he also "pull an Oda," doing too many combos?
    He did not Oda in the FS.

Going back its crazy how many thought quads were important to winning.

Custom Title
    I actually remember the Sports Illustrated predictions .

Ladies--exactly how it ultimately went down. Mao, YuNa, Joannie
    Men--quite different, actually. Evgeni, Patrick, Evan, in that order.

As I recall

Ladies:
    Kim & Asada

Men:
    Plushenko - everyone just felt he'd win because of judges giving him a break on small mistakes
    Lysachek and Takahashi were also talked about as being on the podium, but I don't remember either being a favorite for gold.

Dance:
    V/M & D/W with V/M having more of a chance to win

Pairs:
    I don't recall who was favored to actually win, though I think most fans wanted Shen and Zhao?

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonichelle View Post
    As I recall

Ladies:
    Kim & Asada

Men:
    Plushenko - everyone just felt he'd win because of judges giving him a break on small mistakes
    Lysachek and Takahashi were also talked about as being on the podium, but I don't remember either being a favorite for gold.

Dance:

Pairs:
    I don't recall who was favored to actually win, though I think most fans wanted Shen and Zhao?
    Shen/Zhao were the favourites. S/S started the season as co-favourites, but they were having a poor season.

ETA: It also depends on when you were asking. At the beginning of the season, for example, Joubert and Chan were certainly thought of as contenders. But injuries to both certainly threw that idea out. Plushenko entered the Olympics as the only undefeated male skater competing (!). Asada started poorly, then became worse, but had a strong Nationals and 4CC to put her name if not in contention for the title, certainly for a podium finish. Rochette had a disappointing GP season, only to explode at Nationals

Custom Title
    As I recall

Ladies:
    Kim & Asada

Men:

Dance:

Pairs:
    It was the fact that plushenko had a quad! All of a sudden being world champion meant nothing because there was no quad. I don't remember reading about mistakes then or now refreshing my memory.

Banned
    Ladies- Yu Na Kim was the overwhelming favorite. Mao was actually not even the clear favorite for silver. She had not medalled at the 2009 Worlds and missed making the Grand Prix final that season. Mao, Rochette, Ando, were all given a good shot at silver. Flatt, Suzuki, and Kostner outside shots of a medal.

Mens- The field was wide open. No real favorite. As many as 8 men could have won or 12 men won a medal going in.

Pairs- Shen & Zhao were favorites. Savchenko & Szolkowy had a poor season but were still probably their main challengers for gold. Kavaguti & Smirnov and Pang & Tong had strong seasons and were also gold contenders. Zhang & Zhang, Mukhortova & trankov, and home country favorites Dube & davison were shots of the bronze.

Dance- Virtue & Moir, Davis & White, and Domnina & Shabalin all went in as gold contenders. Belbin & Agaosto, Failla & Scali, Delobel & Schoenfelder (back from injury) were bronze hopefuls.

Thank God for Stephane Lambiel and Matt Savoie! shine's Avatar
    Chan was at best a medal hopeful then.

I think after US Nationals and Euros, Lambiel and Abbott were deemed the most likely to give Plushenko a run for his money.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by shine View Post
    Chan was at best a medal hopeful then.

I think after US Nationals and Euros, Lambiel and Abbott were deemed the most likely to give Plushenko a run for his money.
    I read some predictions ariticle that mentioned lambiel but immediately discounted him because of no 3A. And I don't even remember reading Abbott even after us nationals.

When push came to shove and people were forced to pick 3 it was all lysacek and plushenko and someone else.

A lot of folks (me included) pointed to Evan being the reigning World Champion as why he wouldn't win the gold... I mean he was the first since Scott Hamilton to actually deliver and win the dang thing. the years inbetween it was almost a death sentence for any chance at gold!

Custom Title
    A lot of folks (me included) pointed to Evan being the reigning World Champion as why he wouldn't win the gold... I mean he was the first since Scott Hamilton to actually deliver and win the dang thing. the years inbetween it was almost a death sentence for any chance at gold!
    It's all skewed because browning was 91 and 93 and he couldn't do Olympics. Then 97 wc was majorly injured in Nagano. Lysacek was healthy and gpf winner and its true he wasn't being predicted to win but silver or bronze and everyone said he would medal and plushenko would win because of the quad.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by gmyers View Post
    It's all skewed because browning was 91 and 93 and he couldn't do Olympics. Then 97 wc was majorly injured in Nagano. Lysacek was healthy and gpf winner and its true he wasn't being predicted to win but silver or bronze and everyone said he would medal and plushenko would win because of the quad.
    And Plushenko lost the gold in 2002 after the SP when he was fourth, plus Yagudin was healthy and stronger than ever.

Quote Originally Posted by gmyers View Post
    couldn't do it? he was at both?

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by coppertop1 View Post
    And Plushenko lost the gold in 2002 after the SP when he was fourth, plus Yagudin was healthy and stronger than ever.
    That's the competiton where like 88 the wc was just totally outskated!

couldn't do it? he was at both?
    Browning couldnt do Olympics means he was there but he couldn't perform. He couldn't perform well at an Olympics. Couldn't do Olympics.

Banned
    I posted the current odds for 2014 in the Olympic folder.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast