Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Who were the favorites for OGMs four years ago?

...but how does that "skew" the idea that the reigning world champion has a "jinx"/"curse" on them? By all accounts Browning *should* have been able to do it. 92 he had no business competing IMO. He was very injured for much of the lead up and "reinjured" (I believe he had not fully healed, though) himself. Neither he or Elderedge *should* have been there. But neither knew Olympics would be held two years later at the time.

94 was a total bomb of the SP... he didn't do too terribly in the LP. He *could* have done it.

Skating is art, if you let it be. Blades of Passion's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by blue_idealist View Post
    In mens, I think Plushenko was the overwhelming favourite but Chan was also a co-favourite. IIRC, many people didn't expect Lysacek to win. I could be wrong, but I think there were even some who thought Weir would finish higher than him. I remember a lot of people being surprised at Chan "only" being in 5th place, but I think that's around what he deserved since he didn't skate his best.
    That's not how it went at all.

Chan had a bad season leading up to the Olympics and he was a longshot for a medal. Plushenko, Lysacek, Oda, Abbott, and Lambiel were seen as the biggest podium threats. Joubert, Takahashi, and Chan were next in line; nobody thought they had a chance for Gold.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Blades of Passion View Post

Chan had a bad season leading up to the Olympics and he was a longshot for a medal. Plushenko, Lysacek, Oda, Abbott, and Lambiel were seen as the biggest podium threats. Joubert, Takahashi, and Chan were next in line; nobody thought they had a chance for Gold.
    Mostly agreed, except I think Takahashi was seen as a bigger contender than that. He hadnt had a particularly strong season, but he had led after the short program at the Grand Prix final. Chan was definitely not a favorite going into Vancouver the way he had been at the 2009 Worlds.

If Plushenko was perceived as the overwhelming favorite than it just proves people are stupid. It was obvious to anyone with a brain he was very vurnerable in Vancouver. The only thing he had going for him was his famed consistency, which almost all his rivals (other than Lysacek) lacked, but there were atleast 6 guys who could easily beat him if they skated to their potential, even if Plushenko went clean; a far cry from Turin where he could only beat himself (which had almost no chance of happening).

leave no stone unturned seniorita's Avatar
    It is all relative. As much vulnerable as he was he lost Gold for one point, and while Lysacek had the best Lp that night, Plushenko lost the Gold in sp. Plushenko got a 90.+ sp in Vancouver while Lysacek got an 89. + , would a skater with a 3-3 get an almost 90 with no quad these days?
    An article from 2010 that I think pretty sums up what was predicted for the men.
    I miss Lambiel so much.
    Last edited by seniorita; 01-22-2014 at 03:51 AM.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonichelle View Post
    ...but how does that "skew" the idea that the reigning world champion has a "jinx"/"curse" on them? By all accounts Browning *should* have been able to do it. 92 he had no business competing IMO. He was very injured for much of the lead up and "reinjured" (I believe he had not fully healed, though) himself. Neither he or Elderedge *should* have been there. But neither knew Olympics would be held two years later at the time.

94 was a total bomb of the SP... he didn't do too terribly in the LP. He *could* have done it.
    I thought because it was the same person lol. One wc was cursed not two world champions.

Quote Originally Posted by pangtongfan View Post
    Mostly agreed, except I think Takahashi was seen as a bigger contender than that. He hadnt had a particularly strong season, but he had led after the short program at the Grand Prix final. Chan was definitely not a favorite going into Vancouver the way he had been at the 2009 Worlds.

If Plushenko was perceived as the overwhelming favorite than it just proves people are stupid. It was obvious to anyone with a brain he was very vurnerable in Vancouver. The only thing he had going for him was his famed consistency, which almost all his rivals (other than Lysacek) lacked, but there were atleast 6 guys who could easily beat him if they skated to their potential, even if Plushenko went clean; a far cry from Turin where he could only beat himself (which had almost no chance of happening).
    Maybe it was six or eight but when people from a wide array of publications and sites were forced to predict the medalists plushenko was always gold because of the quad. I think that is what is being discussed. Not all the men who potentially could have won but the ones everyone were predicting to medal. Everyone may not have agreed that plushenko would win In a huge landslide like 2006 but all or most agreed he would win. If they didn't say because of quad they'd say it was because Russia would just get it through politics.

Quote Originally Posted by seniorita View Post
    It is all relative. As much vulnerable as he was he lost Gold for one point, and while Lysacek had the best Lp that night, Plushenko lost the Gold in sp. Plushenko got a 90.+ sp in Vancouver while Lysacek got an 89. + , would a skater with a 3-3 get an almost 90 with no quad these days?
    An article from 2010 that I think pretty sums up what was predicted for the men.
    I miss Lambiel so much.
    That's the article I referenced before. It's a very good one.

Tripping on the Podium
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonichelle View Post
    Neither he or Elderedge *should* have been there. But neither knew Olympics would be held two years later at the time.
    That's not quite right, though. The IOC had decided in 1986 to split the summer and winter games, and Lillehammer won the 1994 bid in 1988.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1994_Wi...city_selection

Yahoo predicted this:

http://voices.yahoo.com/vancouver-20...s-5420841.html

They had the men as Plushy, Evan, and Oda.

For the women they had Yuna, and then don't actually say who will be 2nd and 3rd, but do say that Mao is the only one that can challenge Yuna.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Zamboni View Post
    Yahoo predicted this:

For the women they had Yuna, and then don't actually say who will be 2nd and 3rd, but do say that Mao is the only one that can challenge Yuna.
    This really reflected a mistaken belief that quads difficulty was reflected in cop value or something. He actually said plushenko would win easy! When people wrote falter like he did I'm sure they meant fall or popped jumps.

Custom Title
    well actually that's from Yahoo Voice, formerly known as AssociatedContent, an online content farm for self publishing, it's one person's opinion, it's not "Yahoo Sports Column", I won't give it much credit.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zamboni View Post
    Yahoo predicted this:

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by pangtongfan View Post

I tend to agree. Euros was telling to me because Plushenko won, but Lambiel actually out-PCS'ed him. Compare that to Turin where he destroyed the field in terms of PCS (Jeff Buttle tied him on Transitions in the LP, but otherwise he was the indubitable number 1). That suggested (to me) that if someone else skated at or near Plushenko's level, he'd be the winner.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by ImaginaryPogue View Post
    I tend to agree. Euros was telling to me because Plushenko won, but Lambiel actually out-PCS'ed him. Compare that to Turin where he destroyed the field in terms of PCS (Jeff Buttle tied him on Transitions in the LP, but otherwise he was the indubitable number 1). That suggested (to me) that if someone else skated at or near Plushenko's level, he'd be the winner.
    But you were also predicting plushenko the winner? Or a better cop skater?

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by seniorita View Post
    I miss Lambiel so much.
    Lysacek scored 90.30 in the SP in Vancouver.

Quote Originally Posted by Blades of Passion View Post

There were some Canadians lauding Patrick Chan as the likely gold medalist, but that might have just been patriotism, and not much related to reality.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by blue_idealist View Post
    There were some Canadians lauding Patrick Chan as the likely gold medalist, but that might have just been patriotism, and not much related to reality.
    Chan had a major injury at the start of the Olympic season and had to pull out of his second GP. He was better by Canadians but had lost a significant amount of training time and wasn't really a factor for the rest of the season. Nobody was calling him a likely gold medalist that I recall.

Custom Title
    Chan did recover super well though. Silver medal 2010 worlds. He was very weak in fall 2009 no doubt but was clearly and obviously recovering strongly. Some also don't think about injury if the skaters skating. Like browning 1992. Sure he was injured but he was skating and if he can deliver he can medal or win.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast