Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Thread: Who were the favorites for OGMs four years ago?

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonichelle View Post
    A lot of folks (me included) pointed to Evan being the reigning World Champion as why he wouldn't win the gold... I mean he was the first since Scott Hamilton to actually deliver and win the dang thing. the years inbetween it was almost a death sentence for any chance at gold!
    The statistics are that every US man has won the OG who competed as reigning World champions....

leave no stone unturned seniorita's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SkateFan66 View Post
    Lysacek scored 90.30 in the SP in Vancouver.
    oh wishful thinking then. And to think I m very good ar remembering numbers This sp competition left me with a trauma.
    Quote Originally Posted by ImaginaryPogue View Post
    I tend to agree. Euros was telling to me because Plushenko won, but Lambiel actually out-PCS'ed him. Compare that to Turin where he destroyed the field in terms of PCS (Jeff Buttle tied him on Transitions in the LP, but otherwise he was the indubitable number 1). That suggested (to me) that if someone else skated at or near Plushenko's level, he'd be the winner.
    Oh Lambiel's Euro skate would have taken him on the podium in Vancouver, the straight line sq, in the arena was explsoive and then the awesome cowbells!

Quote Originally Posted by gmyers View Post
    This really reflected a mistaken belief that quads difficulty was reflected in cop value or something. He actually said plushenko would win easy! When people wrote falter like he did I'm sure they meant fall or popped jumps.
    Plushy had been overmarked for years so a lot of people thought that all Plushy had to do were quads and he would win, including Plushy himself. Then it turns out that Plushy's jumps were wonky and Evan skated a more complete program. Didn't he also do more difficulty during "bonus time"?

Quote Originally Posted by ANW View Post
    well actually that's from Yahoo Voice, formerly known as AssociatedContent, an online content farm for self publishing, it's one person's opinion, it's not "Yahoo Sports Column", I won't give it much credit.
    Sadly, most of Yahoo seems like content farms now, just like so much of Internet. No one wants to pay real journalists the money. So they pick these people through advertising clicks or super low rates. Even many CNN articles are poorly researched.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Zamboni View Post
    Plushy had been overmarked for years so a lot of people thought that all Plushy had to do were quads and he would win, including Plushy himself. Then it turns out that Plushy's jumps were wonky and Evan skated a more complete program. Didn't he also do more difficulty during "bonus time"?

Sadly, most of Yahoo seems like content farms now, just like so much of Internet. No one wants to pay real journalists the money. So they pick these people through advertising clicks or super low rates. Even many CNN articles are poorly researched.
    Plushenkos jumps weren't wonky. No more wonky than Lysaceks! Edge warnings and leans forward. The fact was Skates without quads were scoring as highly and actually higher than skates with quads. Lysaceks program was midloaded to get more bonus points true and that's why no quad and midloading was more valuable than doing quads and why plushenko would've won if he didn't do any quads and midloaded. Obviously it's almost unanimous hat plushenko only deserves below 5's in pcs but his pcs was entirely low or neurrtal. 5.00 in the sp. yeah that's really overscoring. I guess you don't think he deserved to win in Turin!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4