Who were the favorites for OGMs four years ago? | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Who were the favorites for OGMs four years ago?

gmyers

Record Breaker
I tend to agree. Euros was telling to me because Plushenko won, but Lambiel actually out-PCS'ed him. Compare that to Turin where he destroyed the field in terms of PCS (Jeff Buttle tied him on Transitions in the LP, but otherwise he was the indubitable number 1). That suggested (to me) that if someone else skated at or near Plushenko's level, he'd be the winner.

But you were also predicting plushenko the winner? Or a better cop skater?

SkateFan66

On the Ice
It is all relative. As much vulnerable as he was he lost Gold for one point, and while Lysacek had the best Lp that night, Plushenko lost the Gold in sp. Plushenko got a 90.+ sp in Vancouver while Lysacek got an 89. + , would a skater with a 3-3 get an almost 90 with no quad these days?
An article from 2010 that I think pretty sums up what was predicted for the men.
I miss Lambiel so much.

Lysacek scored 90.30 in the SP in Vancouver. ;)

blue_idealist

Record Breaker
That's not how it went at all.

Chan had a bad season leading up to the Olympics and he was a longshot for a medal. Plushenko, Lysacek, Oda, Abbott, and Lambiel were seen as the biggest podium threats. Joubert, Takahashi, and Chan were next in line; nobody thought they had a chance for Gold.

There were some Canadians lauding Patrick Chan as the likely gold medalist, but that might have just been patriotism, and not much related to reality.

Dragonlady

Final Flight
There were some Canadians lauding Patrick Chan as the likely gold medalist, but that might have just been patriotism, and not much related to reality.

Chan had a major injury at the start of the Olympic season and had to pull out of his second GP. He was better by Canadians but had lost a significant amount of training time and wasn't really a factor for the rest of the season. Nobody was calling him a likely gold medalist that I recall.

gmyers

Record Breaker
Chan did recover super well though. Silver medal 2010 worlds. He was very weak in fall 2009 no doubt but was clearly and obviously recovering strongly. Some also don't think about injury if the skaters skating. Like browning 1992. Sure he was injured but he was skating and if he can deliver he can medal or win.

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
A lot of folks (me included) pointed to Evan being the reigning World Champion as why he wouldn't win the gold... I mean he was the first since Scott Hamilton to actually deliver and win the dang thing. the years inbetween it was almost a death sentence for any chance at gold! :laugh:

The statistics are that every US man has won the OG who competed as reigning World champions....

seniorita

Record Breaker
Lysacek scored 90.30 in the SP in Vancouver. ;)
oh wishful thinking then. And to think I m very good ar remembering numbers :laugh: This sp competition left me with a trauma.
I tend to agree. Euros was telling to me because Plushenko won, but Lambiel actually out-PCS'ed him. Compare that to Turin where he destroyed the field in terms of PCS (Jeff Buttle tied him on Transitions in the LP, but otherwise he was the indubitable number 1). That suggested (to me) that if someone else skated at or near Plushenko's level, he'd be the winner.
Oh Lambiel's Euro skate would have taken him on the podium in Vancouver, the straight line sq, in the arena was explsoive and then the awesome cowbells!:love:

Zamboni

On the Ice
This really reflected a mistaken belief that quads difficulty was reflected in cop value or something. He actually said plushenko would win easy! When people wrote falter like he did I'm sure they meant fall or popped jumps.

Plushy had been overmarked for years so a lot of people thought that all Plushy had to do were quads and he would win, including Plushy himself. ;) Then it turns out that Plushy's jumps were wonky and Evan skated a more complete program. Didn't he also do more difficulty during "bonus time"?

well actually that's from Yahoo Voice, formerly known as AssociatedContent, an online content farm for self publishing, it's one person's opinion, it's not "Yahoo Sports Column", I won't give it much credit.

Sadly, most of Yahoo seems like content farms now, just like so much of Internet. No one wants to pay real journalists the money. So they pick these people through advertising clicks or super low rates. Even many CNN articles are poorly researched.

gmyers

Record Breaker
Plushy had been overmarked for years so a lot of people thought that all Plushy had to do were quads and he would win, including Plushy himself. ;) Then it turns out that Plushy's jumps were wonky and Evan skated a more complete program. Didn't he also do more difficulty during "bonus time"?

Sadly, most of Yahoo seems like content farms now, just like so much of Internet. No one wants to pay real journalists the money. So they pick these people through advertising clicks or super low rates. Even many CNN articles are poorly researched.

Plushenkos jumps weren't wonky. No more wonky than Lysaceks! Edge warnings and leans forward. The fact was Skates without quads were scoring as highly and actually higher than skates with quads. Lysaceks program was midloaded to get more bonus points true and that's why no quad and midloading was more valuable than doing quads and why plushenko would've won if he didn't do any quads and midloaded. Obviously it's almost unanimous hat plushenko only deserves below 5's in pcs but his pcs was entirely low or neurrtal. 5.00 in the sp. yeah that's really overscoring. I guess you don't think he deserved to win in Turin!