Should it have been a choice between Nagasu & Edmunds for final spot on U.S Olympic team? | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Should it have been a choice between Nagasu & Edmunds for final spot on U.S Olympic team?

RABID

Final Flight
OTOH, she also needs to consider what she is sacrificing. There aren't many professional opportunities out there except for the very best skaters. She is missing out on going to college and exploring a career outside of skating. What is her best case scenario at this point in her career? Another national title? Maybe, but it would be hard with some talented youngsters. A world/olympic medal? Not possible. I think at some point the stress of underperforming, public scrutiny, training expenses, and the potential for injury makes it not worth it for a skater in this position. Ultimately the choice is hers but I don't think it is a question of how hard she is willing to work, but rather what is she even working towards.

All very true, everything you said, but here is the thing, nothing BAD will come out of her choosing to recommit her self. The rule of thumb nowadays is one must start considering their life trajectory no later than their late 20's and must start walking that chosen trajectory by the time they are in their early 30's. She has time. Committing oneself towards a long term goal? Never a bad thing. Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

Sasha'sSpins

Medalist
Country
United-States
From the moment the podium was determined. I knew Ashley and Gracie were on the team. As long as Ashley made the top five, I assumed she would be on the Olympic team. She has medaled at all but one GP event in the past two seasons. She has placed top five at Worlds for two seasons. SHe earned her spot by being consistent over two seasons. Yes she fell at nationals. But I don't think one bad event after so many is enough to keep her off the team. It will likely effect what she skates for the team event though.

The question to me was do you send Mirai who is inconsistent and at the end of her ropes trying to make her career happen or Polina who is technically great, still artistically young, and no international senior experience. As a Mirai fan, I personally was hoping that it would be Mirai, especially seeing as Polina has not even competed in Junior Worlds. However, giving Polina olympics/worlds placements sets her up well for world rankings and the grand prix next season. However Mirai is currently without a coach making it even harder for the usfsa to know which version of Mirai they can expect at the Olympics. Polina, like Mirai was at the last Olympics, is part of the future. I think they are hoping people will fall for Polina as they did for Mirai four years ago even if Polina doesn't place.

According to her ISU bio, Mirai's coach is Mr. Takashi Mura - http://www.isuresults.com/bios/isufs00010220.htm

He stood by the sideboards with Mirai and sat with her in the K&C at 4CCs.

carriecmu0503

On the Ice
From the moment the podium was determined. I knew Ashley and Gracie were on the team. As long as Ashley made the top five, I assumed she would be on the Olympic team. She has medaled at all but one GP event in the past two seasons. She has placed top five at Worlds for two seasons. SHe earned her spot by being consistent over two seasons. Yes she fell at nationals. But I don't think one bad event after so many is enough to keep her off the team. It will likely effect what she skates for the team event though.

The question to me was do you send Mirai who is inconsistent and at the end of her ropes trying to make her career happen or Polina who is technically great, still artistically young, and no international senior experience. As a Mirai fan, I personally was hoping that it would be Mirai, especially seeing as Polina has not even competed in Junior Worlds. However, giving Polina olympics/worlds placements sets her up well for world rankings and the grand prix next season. However Mirai is currently without a coach making it even harder for the usfsa to know which version of Mirai they can expect at the Olympics. Polina, like Mirai was at the last Olympics, is part of the future. I think they are hoping people will fall for Polina as they did for Mirai four years ago even if Polina doesn't place.

Why do people keep saying Mirai is without a coach? She was working very hard for months in Japan with her Japanese coach. Because he is not a USFS/PSA member, he could not coach her at Nationals. However, Mirai had her ballet coach, Galina Barinova, with her at Nationals. This is also the coach who accompanied her to 2011 4CC, when she had just about her best competition ever, save for the Olympics. Galina was able to accompany her to those competitions because she IS accredited by both USFS and PSA as a "real" skating coach. Nobody harped on Angela Nikodinov for not having a coach when she chose to switch to her ballet coach, Elena Tcherkaskaya, in 2001. In fact, that coach was responsible for transforming her. Angela found her confidence in her ballet coach; the same may be true for Mirai.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
Committing oneself towards a long term goal? Never a bad thing. Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

Well, there's not only the opportunity cost (of not doing something else) but also a financial cost to continuing. Skating is expensive so it's not necessarily a good idea if you dig yourself into a financial hole merely for a "goal" if there are better opportunities outside of skating for her.

RABID

Final Flight
Well, there's not only the opportunity cost (of not doing something else) but also a financial cost to continuing. Skating is expensive so it's not necessarily a good idea if you dig yourself into a financial hole merely for a "goal" if there are better opportunities outside of skating for her.

As I said, you have valid points which I am sure will weigh heavily on any decision. I will understand and sympathize if Mirai decides to "hang them up" but my respect for her will grow immeasurably if she decides to persevere.

Chris_E

On the Ice
Why do people keep saying Mirai is without a coach? She was working very hard for months in Japan with her Japanese coach. Because he is not a USFS/PSA member, he could not coach her at Nationals. However, Mirai had her ballet coach, Galina Barinova, with her at Nationals. This is also the coach who accompanied her to 2011 4CC, when she had just about her best competition ever, save for the Olympics. Galina was able to accompany her to those competitions because she IS accredited by both USFS and PSA as a "real" skating coach. Nobody harped on Angela Nikodinov for not having a coach when she chose to switch to her ballet coach, Elena Tcherkaskaya, in 2001. In fact, that coach was responsible for transforming her. Angela found her confidence in her ballet coach; the same may be true for Mirai.

She said herself that she would find a coach after nationals. So, Mirai did not have an official coach at Nationals.

ucrgirl

On the Ice
I will understand and sympathize if Mirai decides to "hang them up" but my respect for her will grow immeasurably if she decides to persevere.

It would be great if Marai had a lights out season and retired in triumph.

(However, part of me hopes she retires soon because every time she does well we will have a threads saying "See Marai should have been in the Olympics" and every time she does poorly the board will cry "See it's good she stayed home!")

Sasha'sSpins

Medalist
Country
United-States
It would be great if Marai had a lights out season and retired in triumph.

(However, part of me hopes she retires soon because every time she does well we will have a threads saying "See Marai should have been in the Olympics" and every time she does poorly the board will cry "See it's good she stayed home!")

It's Mirai - not Marai. ;)

Well, Mr. Mura is now listed as her coach in her ISU bio and he did attend to her at 4CCs. We'll see how that new coaching situation goes in the coming months.

MK's Winter

Record Breaker
It's Mirai - not Marai. ;) Well, Mr. Mura is now listed as her coach in her ISU bio and he did attend to her at 4CCs. We'll see how that new coaching situation goes in the coming months.

I think Mura will be a good fit for her. I think they will get down to it after 4CC. Look at the improvement between Rostelecom and Nationals. They need more time. I feel bad for her, Sammi, and Courtney having to do 4CC so quickly after an emotional Nationals for all of them. Next season will be interesting for sure.