Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 68

Thread: Pairs- Short Program 4cc 2014

  1. #1
    #TeamAUS
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    1,573

    2014 Four Continents- Pair's Short Program

    Here is the Starting List for the Pairs Short Program Event!

    Group One

    1. Natasha Purich & Mervin Tran CAN
    2. Tarah Kayne & Daniel O'Shea USA
    3. Wenting Wang & Yan Zhang CHN

    Final Group

    4. Margaret Purdy & Michael Marinaro CAN
    5. Alexa Scimeca & Chris Knierim USA
    6. Wenjing Sui & Cong Han CHN
    7. Haven Denney & Brandon Frazier USA

  2. #2
    Outdated Old Dinosaur
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    915
    Why did China and Canada only send 2 pairs?

    They must have had more eligible than this, and I assume they earned the spots from last year.

  3. #3
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    938
    I was asking myself similar questions, and then I realized that it's an Olympic year, and the Olympics start *very soon*, so I think that China, for example, might be saving its most competitive pairs skaters for the Olympics, thus not risking injuries at 4 CC.

  4. #4
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    1,785
    Good luck to Natasha & Mervin! Wishing them a podium finish here.

  5. #5
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    673
    Quote Originally Posted by Dodhiyel View Post
    I was asking myself similar questions, and then I realized that it's an Olympic year, and the Olympics start *very soon*, so I think that China, for example, might be saving its most competitive pairs skaters for the Olympics, thus not risking injuries at 4 CC.
    While that is true, they have plenty of other teams with the score ability to be sent. Yu/Jin were actually on the nitial entries but later withdrawn. Wang/Wang are another lovely pair who could have really used the chance to compete here.

    As for Canada, their international assignments policy is even worse than China's, so none of their other pair teams got the minimun scores needed to compete here.

  6. #6
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    772
    Quote Originally Posted by SamuraiKike View Post
    While that is true, they have plenty of other teams with the score ability to be sent. Yu/Jin were actually on the nitial entries but later withdrawn. Wang/Wang are another lovely pair who could have really used the chance to compete here.

    As for Canada, their international assignments policy is even worse than China's, so none of their other pair teams got the minimun scores needed to compete here.
    You forgot to mention that three of the Canadian teams will be at Sochi so they would naturally not want to go for the 4CC.

  7. #7
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    673
    Quote Originally Posted by emdee View Post
    You forgot to mention that three of the Canadian teams will be at Sochi so they would naturally not want to go for the 4CC.
    Im not talking about olympic teams, like Dodhiyel said and I agreed with it, they usually don't bother with 4CC being so close to the olys. The problem is when there's a big chance for the lower ranked teams to get ISU championship experience and the feds drop the ball like they did here.

  8. #8
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    7,573
    Canada didn't bother to send lower ranking teams to an International B event so they get a qualifying score for 4CC. They could have sent a few to the US event in September at little cost. The US sends promising pairs to "B"s every year and that sets them up for 4CC.

  9. #9
    On the Ice
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Québec
    Posts
    44
    What other lower teams could have been sent? Shalaina Rau is too young (and her partner is too old for juniors), and Jones/Reagan only got together in October.

  10. #10
    Currently frozen as a popsicle Chemistry66's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Somewhere in the Chemistry Building
    Posts
    1,472
    Quote Originally Posted by Alvyne View Post
    What other lower teams could have been sent? Shalaina Rau is too young (and her partner is too old for juniors), and Jones/Reagan only got together in October.
    Seguin/Bilodeau? Do they have the minimums even though they competed in Juniors?

    This skimpy roster is kind of disappointing.

  11. #11
    On the Ice
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Québec
    Posts
    44
    Quote Originally Posted by Chemistry66 View Post
    Seguin/Bilodeau? Do they have the minimums even though they competed in Juniors?

    This skimpy roster is kind of disappointing.
    I think they do, but it looks like they want to concentrate on Junior Worlds (also they might not have a senior program ready for 4CC having competed in the junior ranks all season). They will move up to seniors next year, as well as Grenier/Deschamps, who are a new team and haven't competeted internationally.

  12. #12
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    478
    Shame on China not sending another pair, considering Taipei is only a few hours (3h maybe?) flight from Beijing, and the jet lag issue would also be minimum.

  13. #13
    Outdated Old Dinosaur
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    915
    I think everyone picked up what I was asking earlier in the thread, but I wanted to clarify:

    I am dumbfounded that powerhouse pairs skating powers like Canada and China should not have 6 pairs who have met qualifying scores... three for Olympics and three for 4CC.

    These are lost opportunities for young talent to learn and grow, not to mention gain some international exposure.

    It is a shame, particularly considering the scarcity of participants from non-power nations in this discipline.

  14. #14
    Rinkside
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Victoria BC
    Posts
    5
    In this case for Canada there really aren't enough teams - it's not a matter of not sending teams to senior internationals to get qualifying scores. There were only 7 senior pairs at Canadians this year - and as noted above, 3 are going to Olympics, 2 to 4CC, Rau/Schultz are age-ineligible, and Jones/Reagan the last just started skating together in the fall. The Challenge in December was their first competition together. With the juniors, it would be unreasonable (if not impossible) to expect teams that had been training and skating junior programs all year to compete senior programs (and in Asia) starting less than a week after Canadians ended in Ottawa, with a longer free program and some element differences.

    I hope that the new pairs (including and especially Grenier and Deschamps, who competed junior this year probably because Grenier is new to pairs) get sent to senior internationals as soon as possible. And Canada needs more pair teams!

  15. #15
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    1,116
    Quote Originally Posted by hippomoomin View Post
    Shame on China not sending another pair, considering Taipei is only a few hours (3h maybe?) flight from Beijing, and the jet lag issue would also be minimum.
    Yu/Jin withdrew yesterday. Not enough time for a replacement to be sent.


    Not sure why Wang/Wang weren't on the original roster of 3 Chinese teams... They were lovely at Cup of China and finished 4th at Nationals. Is she not old enough perhaps?

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •