Pairs- Short Program 4cc 2014 | Golden Skate

Pairs- Short Program 4cc 2014

GF2445

Record Breaker
2014 Four Continents- Pair's Short Program

Here is the Starting List for the Pairs Short Program Event!

Group One

1. Natasha Purich & Mervin Tran CAN
2. Tarah Kayne & Daniel O'Shea USA
3. Wenting Wang & Yan Zhang CHN

Final Group

4. Margaret Purdy & Michael Marinaro CAN
5. Alexa Scimeca & Chris Knierim USA
6. Wenjing Sui & Cong Han CHN
7. Haven Denney & Brandon Frazier USA

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Why did China and Canada only send 2 pairs?

They must have had more eligible than this, and I assume they earned the spots from last year.

Dodhiyel

Final Flight
I was asking myself similar questions, and then I realized that it's an Olympic year, and the Olympics start *very soon*, so I think that China, for example, might be saving its most competitive pairs skaters for the Olympics, thus not risking injuries at 4 CC.

deedee1

Record Breaker
Good luck to Natasha & Mervin! Wishing them a podium finish here. :yay:

SamuraiKike

Medalist
I was asking myself similar questions, and then I realized that it's an Olympic year, and the Olympics start *very soon*, so I think that China, for example, might be saving its most competitive pairs skaters for the Olympics, thus not risking injuries at 4 CC.

While that is true, they have plenty of other teams with the score ability to be sent. Yu/Jin were actually on the nitial entries but later withdrawn. Wang/Wang are another lovely pair who could have really used the chance to compete here.

As for Canada, their international assignments policy is even worse than China's, so none of their other pair teams got the minimun scores needed to compete here.

emdee

Final Flight
While that is true, they have plenty of other teams with the score ability to be sent. Yu/Jin were actually on the nitial entries but later withdrawn. Wang/Wang are another lovely pair who could have really used the chance to compete here.

As for Canada, their international assignments policy is even worse than China's, so none of their other pair teams got the minimun scores needed to compete here.

You forgot to mention that three of the Canadian teams will be at Sochi so they would naturally not want to go for the 4CC.

SamuraiKike

Medalist
You forgot to mention that three of the Canadian teams will be at Sochi so they would naturally not want to go for the 4CC.

Im not talking about olympic teams, like Dodhiyel said and I agreed with it, they usually don't bother with 4CC being so close to the olys. The problem is when there's a big chance for the lower ranked teams to get ISU championship experience and the feds drop the ball like they did here.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Canada didn't bother to send lower ranking teams to an International B event so they get a qualifying score for 4CC. They could have sent a few to the US event in September at little cost. The US sends promising pairs to "B"s every year and that sets them up for 4CC.

Alvyne

On the Ice
Country
Canada
What other lower teams could have been sent? Shalaina Rau is too young (and her partner is too old for juniors), and Jones/Reagan only got together in October.

Chemistry66

Mmmmm, tacos.
Record Breaker
What other lower teams could have been sent? Shalaina Rau is too young (and her partner is too old for juniors), and Jones/Reagan only got together in October.

Seguin/Bilodeau? Do they have the minimums even though they competed in Juniors?

This skimpy roster is kind of disappointing.

Alvyne

On the Ice
Country
Canada
Seguin/Bilodeau? Do they have the minimums even though they competed in Juniors?

This skimpy roster is kind of disappointing.

I think they do, but it looks like they want to concentrate on Junior Worlds (also they might not have a senior program ready for 4CC having competed in the junior ranks all season). They will move up to seniors next year, as well as Grenier/Deschamps, who are a new team and haven't competeted internationally.

hippomoomin

Record Breaker
Shame on China not sending another pair, considering Taipei is only a few hours (3h maybe?) flight from Beijing, and the jet lag issue would also be minimum.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I think everyone picked up what I was asking earlier in the thread, but I wanted to clarify:

I am dumbfounded that powerhouse pairs skating powers like Canada and China should not have 6 pairs who have met qualifying scores... three for Olympics and three for 4CC.

These are lost opportunities for young talent to learn and grow, not to mention gain some international exposure.

It is a shame, particularly considering the scarcity of participants from non-power nations in this discipline.

kalamalka

Rinkside
In this case for Canada there really aren't enough teams - it's not a matter of not sending teams to senior internationals to get qualifying scores. There were only 7 senior pairs at Canadians this year - and as noted above, 3 are going to Olympics, 2 to 4CC, Rau/Schultz are age-ineligible, and Jones/Reagan the last just started skating together in the fall. The Challenge in December was their first competition together. With the juniors, it would be unreasonable (if not impossible) to expect teams that had been training and skating junior programs all year to compete senior programs (and in Asia) starting less than a week after Canadians ended in Ottawa, with a longer free program and some element differences.

I hope that the new pairs (including and especially Grenier and Deschamps, who competed junior this year probably because Grenier is new to pairs) get sent to senior internationals as soon as possible. And Canada needs more pair teams!

gold12345

Medalist
Shame on China not sending another pair, considering Taipei is only a few hours (3h maybe?) flight from Beijing, and the jet lag issue would also be minimum.

Yu/Jin withdrew yesterday. Not enough time for a replacement to be sent.

Not sure why Wang/Wang weren't on the original roster of 3 Chinese teams... They were lovely at Cup of China and finished 4th at Nationals. Is she not old enough perhaps?

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Why should the event be cancelled? Why deprive the teams who came of ISU Championship ranking points?

hippomoomin

Record Breaker
Yu/Jin withdrew yesterday. Not enough time for a replacement to be sent.

Not sure why Wang/Wang weren't on the original roster of 3 Chinese teams... They were lovely at Cup of China and finished 4th at Nationals. Is she not old enough perhaps?

I think she is old enough, and they should be on the substitute list.
Even Yu/Jin withdraw yesterday, the chances that they just got injured (or for any other reason) yesterday are low. So they probably saw that coming a while ago.

gmyers

Record Breaker
Why should the event be cancelled? Why deprive the teams who came of ISU Championship ranking points?

One of the isu's own events is barely qualifying for points legitimacy! It's own members are not even filling all their slots! It's extreme how much of a snub this event is getting! Treating it as legit is almost a joke! Might as well just hand out the same amount of points to every team. It's glorified practice and glorified exhibition. The holding of this is not even good for development of pairs as pairs that could be developed aren't being sent!!