2014 Four Continents- Men's Short Program | Page 5 | Golden Skate

2014 Four Continents- Men's Short Program

burntBREAD

Medalist
Takahito Mura's 4T got 3x +2GOE and 3x -2GOE. :confused:

I hope whoever of Caluza and Martinez goes to Worlds gets in the top 10 to get 2 spots for next year, because they're both very interesting to watch, each in his own way.

I think it's because Mura didn't have steps preceding the jump, so it should have been -GOE. But judges often don't deduct for this, particularly when people do solo quads.

pororocheburashka

On the Ice
I'm a fan of Michael Christian Martinez

He is a great talent without the possibilities to develop his great potential in the way "must be".
He was born and he is living in the Philippines.
Conditions for training are close to zero.
Problem is the same as for most people in the Philippines: scarce funds and again no enough money.

I hope that his injury is not too strong.

You can read more about Michael Christian Martinez here:
http://www.catholicregister.org/new...-who-cant-always-afford-coach-turns-to-prayer

Michael Christian Martinez Kababayan Today (TV program Philippines)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qTBxuIHA1jM

KwanIsALegend

Fly On
Medalist
I think Adam is still stunned fro nationals. It really is sad when you see someones dream crumble right in front of your eyes. He looks dejected and as he said in The Skating Lesson. When he had a bad skate at Nationals then went to 4 CC that he just wanted the season to be over. I am pretty sure he would have loved to withdraw from this event. It's like a consolation prize, there are hardly any people in the audience.

He needs to go home, like home home, with his family and really, truly do some hard soul searching to see if he wants to try another four years. It is a gargantuan decision.

seniorita

Record Breaker
Rippon always starts the season strong and then..this year his programs were great and he looked great, what has happened since then?

Frenchie

I'm gonna customize the CRAP out of this title!
Medalist
I think it's because Mura didn't have steps preceding the jump, so it should have been -GOE. But judges often don't deduct for this, particularly when people do solo quads.

Yeah, I had the same question with Richard Dornbush's US Nationals SP: He did a gorgeous 4S, but what I called "no steps whatsoever". What I was wondering was whether there are - or why there aren't - "clear" guidelines for judges to follow, since Dornbush even got a +3 in GOE by one judge.
Obviously, I don't suggest having a 20 page rulebook dedicated only to what amount of which details adds up to "adequate introductory steps for the single jump in the SP", but that there should be a mandatory deduction for no steps (or subpar steps in the most generous definition) which should make a +3 impossible - even if it's Nationals!

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
While not Adam's hugest fan, I liked what I saw earlier in the season.

I'm sorry it didn't pan out for him.

With all the talk of Olympic glory, we have to remember that for every skater who makes the Olympic team, there are probably a dozen or more very elite skaters who don't.

I cannot imagine the dedication that must be involved to even get in the discussion, much less the pain of missing out.

Panini

On the Ice
What does Nan Song need to focus on to improve his PCS? I feel like he's more committed to his choreo than Han Yan, yet there's such a difference in PCS between them. (Or maybe he just needs to pick better music, jk jk)

burntBREAD

Medalist
What does Nan Song need to focus on to improve his PCS? I feel like he's more committed to his choreo than Han Yan, yet there's such a difference in PCS between them. (Or maybe he just needs to pick better music, jk jk)

He seems really slow. Yan has strong SS and is quite fast (and judges usually score in a corridor based on the SS).

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Does anyone have video of the Australian boys?

Sasha'sSpins

Medalist
Country
United-States
And as per Adam, I feel bad for him that he had a skate like that. Hopefully he can turn it around. My wonder is if Rafael stayed in Cali to help Ashley create her new Samson and Delilah, I would imagine the USFSA probably strongly leaned into him staying with Ashley to make sure she shows up in Sochi with something great.

At least I hope that's why he's not there. Adam really has seemed to take some great technical strides with Rafael, and great instincts for him. I mean to put Adam with Tom Dickson and then create Afternoon of the a Faun... genius. I forget where I read (or heard) it, I think it was The Skating Lesson, but I remember some mentioning of the fact that Ashley and Adam also have the same agent, and Rafael felt the agent was pulling too much focus from training and doing their job as skaters... it was interesting to hear. Unfortunately for Adam, I would imagine the let down of Nationals combined with the turn around of this event was probably not enough time to turn things around.

I wonder why they changed his jump layout again. This is the fourth jump layout in four competitions we've seen for Adam's sp. Makes me wonder if the same thing will happen with the layout in the long... and why?

I didn't know the USFSA could interfere with coach-pupil relations in this way. Both are adults - it's not the USFSA's business how a coach trains or whom he wishes to be with at whatever time. Jmo.

Poor Adam. Sigh. :disapp:

Gigi13

On the Ice
Poor Adam I'm so sad for him and he was doing so well in the beginning of the season, it breaks my heart to see him like this. :cry:

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I would have liked to have seen Razzano, too. I feel as if Rippon didn't really want to be at 4CC, so why send him there?

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I can understand why they sent the men they did, but it would have been nice for Razzano to get an assignment after a solid skate at nationals.

samson

Medalist
I didn't know the USFSA could interfere with coach-pupil relations in this way. Both are adults - it's not the USFSA's business how a coach trains or whom he wishes to be with at whatever time. Jmo.

Poor Adam. Sigh. :disapp:

Too be fair, I'll admit my statement was pure speculation. But considering how the federation does seem to have a certain level of sway in what skaters do (I remember in 2011 after Champs Camp they convinced Marina, Meryl, and Charlie to scrap Frank Sinatra in favor of Die Fledermaus)

Even if USFSA didn't get involved, at this point in the season it's not uncommon for subs to show up at events. I remember at 2011 4CC Mirai went with Galina (incidentally the same woman she was with at this Nationals) because Frank was with another student. I forget who with or what for. And while I love Adam, and would love to see Raf there with him if that's what was best, I'm not surprised if he decided sticking with Ashley was more important since she is going to be at the Olympics with essentially a new program.

Harness

Rinkside
Even if USFSA didn't get involved, at this point in the season it's not uncommon for subs to show up at events. I remember at 2011 4CC Mirai went with Galina (incidentally the same woman she was with at this Nationals) because Frank was with another student. I forget who with or what for. And while I love Adam, and would love to see Raf there with him if that's what was best, I'm not surprised if he decided sticking with Ashley was more important since she is going to be at the Olympics with essentially a new program.

As I recall, Frank was participating in the 50th anniversary commemoration of the U.S. figure skating team that died in the plane crash in 1961. He missed Mirai's championship bronze medal performance.

I love Adam's long program, and hope he can pull off a beautiful performance here and pull up in the standings. It was good to hear Ricky and Joshua skated well, and I hope they skate their best in the LP.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
With all the talk of Olympic glory, we have to remember that for every skater who makes the Olympic team, there are probably a dozen or more very elite skaters who don't.

I cannot imagine the dedication that must be involved to even get in the discussion, much less the pain of missing out.

Very well said, Tonto. Respect to all the skaters who gave their best efforts to their Olympic dreams. :bow:

Sasha'sSpins

Medalist
Country
United-States
Very well said, Tonto. Respect to all the skaters who gave their best efforts to their Olympic dreams. :bow:

THIS! Weird, I can't access the smileys when I click on 'more'. 'You do not have permission' Only the few that are next to the post. :confused:

Ryan O

Final Flight
Country
Canada
Looks like the Canadian boys are going to have a rough time getting to the podium at this event, unless Jeremy Ten has a comeback.

And with some of the less than stellar results so far in the Pairs & Ladies, I'm beginning to wonder if Dance may be Canada's only medal at this event.