Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Skaters with a shot at gold and a medal in each event

Banned

Skaters with a shot at gold and a medal in each event

Now that the Games are approaching which skaters do you believe have a shot (even if small) at a)the gold medal, b) a medal of any color, at the Games in the 4 individual disciplines. Here are mine:

Ladies:

Shots at gold- Kim, Asada, Lipnitskaia
    Shots at as high as silver- Suzuki, Sotnikova
    Shots at bronze- Murakami, Kostner, Gold, Wagner (maybe being generous even including Wagner at this moment)

Men:

Shots at gold- Hanyu, Chan, Takahashi (laugh but if he did pull a blinder out of nowhere, and others made mistakes it would be hard to deny him)
    Shots at as high as silver- Machida, Fernandez
    Shots at bronze- Plushenko, Abbott, Ten (if he pulls something out of nowhere again)

Pairs:

Shots at gold- Voloszhar & Trankov, Savchenko & Szolkowy
    Shots at as high as silver- Stolbova & Klimkin, Pang & Tong
    Shots at bronze- Duhamel & Radford, Moore-Towers & Moscovitch, Barzova & Larionov

Dance:

Shots at gold- Virtue & Moir, Davis & White
    Shots at as high as silver- Nobody else
    Shots at bronze- Weaver & Poje, Pechalat & Bourzat, both top Russian teams, Capellini & Lanotte

Custom Title
    I am not interested in pairs or dance, and for the men, I have absolutely no clue who will medal... But for the ladies, I would say:

Gold: Yu-na, Mao, Julia, or Kostner (if completely clean with 3flip-3toe).
    Silver: Suzuki, Sotnikova, Kostner.
    Bronze: Suzuki, Sotnikova, Kostner, Murakami.

I honestly do not think the Americans are strong contenders for medals. Gracie has done well at Nationals but still lacks artistic-wise. Her jumps have also gotten much smaller after going to Frank although more consistent (I have seen her jumps live upfront with my very two eyes at Nationals). Ashley has not been doing too well this season, and the fact that she's going back to an old program just a few weeks before the Olympics does not bode well for her IMO.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by pangtongfan View Post
    Ladies:

Shots at gold- Kim, Asada, Lipnitskaia
    Shots at as high as silver- Suzuki, Sotnikova
    Shots at bronze- Murakami, Kostner, Gold, Wagner (maybe being generous even including Wagner at this moment)
    Pretty much agree here, except I'd probably have Julia peaking at silver not gold. Before Euros I'd have Kostner as a potential silver but seeing as she skated clean and still lost the SP to Adelina by a good margin, I don't think she will be close enough to the leaders after the short and she is unlikely to make up ground in the long.

Custom Title
    Ladies:

Gold- Kim, Asada, Kostner, Lipnitskaia
    Silver- Suzuki, Sotnikova
    Bronze- Murakami, Wagner, Gold

Men:
    Gold- Chan, Hanyu, Fernandez, Takahashi
    Silver- Machida
    Bronze- Abbott, Ten

These lists are obviously absent the occasional Olympic surprises. I don't know who would've predicted Hughes and Kulik would be gold medalists and Wylie a silver medalist before those Olympics. On the right nights, Sotnikova and Abbott could be Olympic champions. It would just take a complete splatfest from other leading competitors (Kim and Chan would have to fall at least twice each) and Adelina and Jeremy would have to skate pristine clean programs.

LADIES

Gold - Kim, Asada, Lipnitskaia
    Any medal - Kostner, Suzuki, Sotnikova, Wagner, Gold, Murakami, and I'll include Osmond but that's a very outside shot for bronze

MEN

Gold - Chan, Hanyu, Takahashi as a long shot
    Any medal - Plushenko, Reynolds, Fernandez, Machida, Yan, Abbott, Denis Ten, Brezina, Verner (the last two are very long shots, but they skated well at Euros, and if Takahashi isn't skating well, bronze seems like anybody's game.. the Czech guys have about as much chance as Plushenko in his current state, and I listed him)

PAIRS

Gold - Volosozhar/Trankov, Savchenko/Szolkowy
    Any medal - Pang/Tong (I almost listed them as gold but I don't think they will be able to defeat BOTH V/T and S/S), Duhamel/Radford, Moore-Towers/Moscovitch, Bazarova/Larionov, Stolbova/Klimov, Peng/Zhang, Berton/Hotarek (but a very small chance for this last team, especially after they didn't do that well at Euros)

DANCE

Gold - Virtue/Moir, Davis/White - pigs would fly if it was anyone else!
    Any medal - Pechalat/Bourzat, Bobrova/Soloviev, Weaver/Poje, Cappellini/Lanotte, Ilinykh/Katsalapov (although I'm 90% sure it'll be one of the first two I listed)

Rinkside
    Personally, I would love to see someone like Zijun Li take the bronze medal out of "nowhere". If nothing else, it would be drama. =)

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by drivingmissdaisy View Post
    Pretty much agree here, except I'd probably have Julia peaking at silver not gold. Before Euros I'd have Kostner as a potential silver but seeing as she skated clean and still lost the SP to Adelina by a good margin, I don't think she will be close enough to the leaders after the short and she is unlikely to make up ground in the long.
    I hope Kostner goes for broke and attempts the Triple Flip-Triple Toe Combo in the short.

Custom Title
    Wow I thought there would be more Wagner and gold medal pushers for at least bronze. And Adelina was left out of the mix often too. Interesting. No hope at all for Osmond which is understandable.

Custom Title
    MEN
    Gold: Chan, Hanyu, Fernandez and Ten
    Silver: Takahashi and Machida
    Bronze: Abbott, Yan and Plushenko

LADIES
    Gold: Kim, Asada, Kostner and Suzuki
    Silver: Sotnikova and Lipnitskaia
    Bronze: Gold, Wagner and Murakami

Rinkside
    Ladies:
    Gold: Kim, Asada (if she happens to land her triple axels) Lipnitskaia, Suzuki (if she skates clean and the first three make errors)
    Silver: Lipnitskaia, Asada, Suzuki, Kostner
    Bronze: Gold, Wagner, Kostner, Murakami

Men:
    Gold: Patrick Chan
    Silver: Yuzuru Hanyu
    Bronze: Jeremy Abbott, Jason Brown

Pairs:
    Gold: Savchenko/Szolkowy, Pang/Tong
    Silver: Voloszhar & Trankov
    Bronze: Duhamel/Radford, Moore-Towers/Moscovitch

Ice Dance:
    Gold: Virtue/Moir, Davis/White
    Silver: Davis/White, Virtue/Moir
    Bronze: Weaver/Poje, Pechalat/Bourzat, Cappellini/Lanotte

Banned
    Gold is Yuna's to win or lose. She's #1, and if she goes cleanish nobody will touch her.

Mao Asada clear #2 and main challenger. Will need Yuna to make a mistake and go pristine clean herself.
    Otherwise, she can't afford to be sloppy or she will be overtaken from behind.
    Mao's momentum seems to have peaked earlier in the season and she's on the downtrend. Can she turn it around? Don't count her out.

Akiko Suzuki is #3 in my opinion. She proved herself at Japanese Nats, that if she goes clean she will get a monster score.
    She does unfortunately have the least margin for error. I think at most she can make a small mistake in the SP, but she has to go clean in the FS.
    Don't be surprised if a clean Suzuki is the one hoping to steal Gold, instead of Asada, should Yuna make errors.

Adelina and Julia are #4 and #5 in some order. Adelina's a better skater, but can she complete the FS clean? If not, she won't podium.
    Julia's a weaker skater than Adelina, but more consistent.

Gracie Gold and Ashley Wagner are #6 and #7 in some order. Neither are likely to medal.
    Basically, both girls have to skate really well, and hope for mistakes from the others.
    But if that happens, Bronze is possible and it makes sense to view that as a goal.

Carolina is the wild-card. I think because of age or injury or whatever, the game has passed her by this season.
    Can she add more difficulty and score higher TES to be competitive? If she does, can she go clean?
    The judges always seem to like her, but she needs to step up her game if she wants to podium.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by pangtongfan View Post
    Where is Murakami? I must saying I am starting to think I am understimating her. She has had 2 really strong competitions in a row now.
    She actually has 4th best odds to win OGM. I don't see it though, even if she skates her best I think she scores in 190s. Will that be good enough to medal? Probably not, but I suppose I should have put her with Gold and Wagner, because they won't break 200 either. Murakami probably has a chance at Bronze, like they do, if she skates clean and others make mistakes.

Rinkside
    Hi, I'm new here.
    About the thread subject, I believe will occur (ladies):
    1.Yuna Kim
    2. Julia Lipnitskaia
    3. Mao Asada

Quote Originally Posted by ArgieFan View Post
    Hi, I'm new here.
    About the thread subject, I believe will occur (ladies):
    1.Yuna Kim
    2. Julia Lipnitskaia
    3. Mao Asada
    Pretty much this, although it won't surprize me one bit if Julia wins the whole thing.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Sasha'sSpins View Post
    Pretty much this, although it won't surprize me one bit if Julia wins the whole thing.
    Yes, I completely agree.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast