Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast
Results 76 to 90 of 175

Thread: Russia chooses Plushenko for Sochi Olympics

  1. #76
    Celebrating the Excellence of #VirtueMoir golden411's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    4,511
    Regarding Plushenko's situation:
    I could have sworn that I read that Cinquanta said in an interview during Euros that if a country is entitled to only one entry in a discipline, and the one entry withdraws during/after the Olympic team event, then the country is NOT allowed to have a replacement entry in the individual discipline.
    [I don't know whether Cinquanta was answering a question about Plushenko in particular or a hypothetical query unattached to any one skater.]

    Quote Originally Posted by Frenchie View Post
    Thanks golden411 for that likely explanation of what happened.
    I wasn't aware those links had such an impact on the server, and I'll try to figure out how the multi-quote feature works.

    I still hope that whenever anyone changes something in one of my posts in the future, I'll be informed of it and of the extent of the change.

    EDIT: Should we (I!) generally refrain from embedding links in our posts? I thought I was being nice to others by hyperlinking the performances I enjoyed on yt instead of just citing them, unaware of technical repercussions on the forum's server. Should I go back and un-link those? (favorite Ladies SPs and FSs of all time)
    ETA:
    Eeek! Am just now realizing that you were referring to editing of your post that involved removing links???
    So multi-quoting was not the issue. (I see now from earlier in the thread that you know perfectly well how to multi-quote.)
    I should not have stuck my big fat nose into something I did not understand. I apologize. (And I've deleted from this post some additional stuff that I had said about multi-quoting.)
    I have no idea whether including links has any kind of potential to cause server problems. Maybe so, maybe not???

    My experience when a mod has edited one of my posts:
    Sometimes (more often than not, I would say) the mod's italicized annotation at the bottom of the post is the only notification/explanation. That annotation always has satisfied me, IIRC.
    Once in a while (the exception rather than the rule), a mod also has sent me a brief PM to tell me a bit more.

    Maybe the Feedback section already has a thread that explains more about moderating posts.
    If not, and if you have a question, you could try starting a new thread there to ask it.

  2. #77
    leave no stone unturned seniorita's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    5,580
    Welcome to the forum
    Is this political party interested in fighting for men's figure skating or Putin's Olympic Games? The petition is just not to send Plushenko , a la "anyone but Plush" petition, or to send a specific skater?

    I ll start a petition for Menshov and his awesome Lp!!
    Last edited by seniorita; 01-22-2014 at 03:07 PM.

  3. #78
    Custom Title plushyfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    2,448
    s
    Quote Originally Posted by AlexNY View Post
    Well, after following this forum for couple years ( with my friend) , I decided to join (independently) and here are my 2 cents.

    First of all, about the rule (or I should say , ruling) on withdrawing after the team event. There was a special ISU decision ( on Jan. 10th) that many believed was heavily petitioned by the Russian FSF. There is a reason Plushenko made the initial statement about his participation in one event, but not the other. There is a reason why Tarasova was not part of the Plushenko’s test skating (since it all had been basically decided). And may be, there is a reason for a very flattering signature that Kovtun had on Twitter…

    The ISU Communication # 1844 clearly outlines the application of the urgent medical reasons case for the Sochi OG. And yes, a team event participant – in case of an urgent medical reason, that can be proved by “ presence of a medical certificate” - can be replaced by a substitute.
    “It is possible to make athletes replacements only up to and during the Team Leaders meeting for the Figure Skating (individual) events scheduled for 10.00 a.m. on February 10th, 2014”.

    Men’s free skate for team events will be over by 8 PM on Feb. 09 – which leaves enough time for Team Plushenko to decide how to proceed. I mean, the guy has had so many injuries that any doctor would give him a medical certificate just on reading the malady list!

    And we all know that the injuries that he has sustained are more than serious to be considered / to qualify as a urgent medical reason. And a good indicator would be if after Feb. 06th ( Team Men short program ) there are talks about Plushenko ‘s injury, re-injury, pain, etc.

    Now, I have couple comments about the interview of Eteri Tutberidze as presented by plushyfan. Eteri is one of my favourite coaches, and after years of listening to /reading her interviews, I really like her work ethic.
    She is one of those coaches that never makes any negative comments about other skaters ( or coaches, for that matter) and a very modest person at that.

    To give just a part of her interview as a justification of Plushenko’s participation is totally unfair to her.
    So, the reporter basically tried to get her opinion ( he even said that he would try to put the words the way so that he could get an answer).
    And he said that “ many specialists stated that Plushenko got unreally high marks for his performance at the nationals; if the judging would have been correct, Voronov ( Eteri’s student) could have been second”… …

    The most she could have said to that - when basically facing a question about her student being right now better than the king – well, she said what she said. There was some thinly veiled sarcasm, though when she said that Plushenko even now “ attempts to maintain the level”. The word “attempts” does not sound very favourable coming from Eteri...
    ( By the way, there was an article in one of the Russian newspapers yesterday questioning why Eteri does not fight for her students – the Mishin’s or Tarasova’s way. Well, this is her work ethic).

    One more thing: not sure where the facts about the vast majority of Russians (that are happy with the decision) comes from. Actually, if you read any comments on this subject, the approval/disapproval is evenly split ( and google translate is not your best friend for this, since political correctness is not a guiding light for many of them and many comments would be lost in translation).

    And yes, there is a petition – a leader of one of the parties in Duma ( the Russian Congress) sent an open letter to the Sport Minister voicing his opinion against Plushenko, calling his inclusion a result of “bureaucratic games”.
    Please read the comments on this statement and see for yourself how many people support it.
    Do you talking about Zhirinovky? OMG! He is a stupid ultra nationalist politician, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zhirinovsky who hates the gays, the figure skating. He was angry with Plushy because he did his surgery in Israel..he is an anti-zionist..Isn't a good supporter for Kovtun..:DDD

    Plushy won the voting. The russians wanted to him for flag bearers. Pushy won a voting, the Russians want to see him in Sochi. Plushenko was the athlets of the year in 2013. He didn't compete and he beat Isinbaeva who was world champion again..

    http://evgeni-plushenko.com/forum/vi...t=6&start=2700 read it

    http://evgeni-plushenko.com/forum/vi...it=lady#p81909 the whole Eteri's interview

    and an older interview of her http://evgeni-plushenko.com/forum/vi...beridze#p79790

  4. #79
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    300
    I really really hope, of Russian Fed choose tomorrow Kovtun, that people who now support him will still support him at the olympics and are not showing now support only because they don't want Plushenko.

    But i am sure, that next year most on this forum will see only the bad sides of Kovtun's skating and complain about his PCS and when a new face will come will abandon him for the new comer.

  5. #80
    I'm gonna Customize the CRAP out of this Title!!! Frenchie's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Mainz, Germany
    Posts
    894
    Quote Originally Posted by golden411 View Post
    Once in a while (the exception rather than the rule), a mod also has sent me a brief PM to tell me a bit more.
    Thanks! I haven't heard from seniorita who edited my post, but Mathman was kind enough to send me a pm to explain the technical aspects of it all.

  6. #81
    Custom Title plushyfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    2,448
    Quote Originally Posted by aschiutza View Post
    I really really hope, of Russian Fed choose tomorrow Kovtun, that people who now support him will still support him at the olympics and are not showing now support only because they don't want Plushenko.

    But i am sure, that next year most on this forum will see only the bad sides of Kovtun's skating and complain about his PCS and when a new face will come will abandon him for the new comer.
    he-he yes.. I'm sure

  7. #82
    Rinkside
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    6
    To plushyfan: I am not quite sure how to outline it in an appropriate way to you – it is not about who hates whom and what party some leaders represent.
    It is about facts.
    I am not a Plushenko/Kovtun/or any other Russian figure skater fan – I love statistics and love the numbers. So when you say “what petition?” – there is a fact for you. ( Since you questioned the very existence of it).
    When you state “ majority” – there are facts against it.

    We are all free to express our own opinion, but to present it is a given fact is absolutely wrong; unless, of course dealing with the facts for you is something like shuffling a deck of cards and pulling the one that suites your opinion.
    So, whenever you get into a pile of information ( incl. comments, Wikipedia links, etc), instead of just a cursory look , take some time to peruse it.

    And you are right, Plushenko was chose the best athlete of Russia in 2013.

    But please give to everybody the fact about this highly scientific poll ( since you are so much into denouncing other’s political affiliations): the poll was conducted by the state run, government funded agency.

    1600 people were polled.
    159 voted for Plushensko.
    10%.
    Population of Russia - 143 million people

    Honestly, I would not even mention this poll.

  8. #83
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    4,888
    Quote Originally Posted by plushyfan View Post
    s

    Do you talking about Zhirinovky? OMG! He is a stupid ultra nationalist politician, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zhirinovsky who hates the gays, the figure skating. He was angry with Plushy because he did his surgery in Israel..he is an anti-zionist..Isn't a good supporter for Kovtun..:DDD

    Plushy won the voting. The russians wanted to him for flag bearers. Pushy won a voting, the Russians want to see him in Sochi. Plushenko was the athlets of the year in 2013. He didn't compete and he beat Isinbaeva who was world champion again..

    http://evgeni-plushenko.com/forum/vi...t=6&start=2700 read it

    http://evgeni-plushenko.com/forum/vi...it=lady#p81909 the whole Eteri's interview

    and an older interview of her http://evgeni-plushenko.com/forum/vi...beridze#p79790
    There's most certainly a difference between the majority of Russians wanting to see Plushenko there in general (I think most Russians want to see him there regardless of who else is competing), and the number of Russians who think Plushenko has actually earned his spot over Kovtun based on this season's competitive results.

  9. #84
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    1,032
    Whoa! That's pretty interesting information.

  10. #85
    leave no stone unturned seniorita's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    5,580
    Huh? Why would a politician mind Plushenko having surgery in Israel?
    I m ok with the facts I m just questioning the bureocratic comment they made and what is their motive, are they interested in figure skating and sent a letter for this? Cause if I can judge from our political situation, it is not a surprise they will use an excuse, ex Plushenko to fight the Games. I guess in every Olys a letter about Plushy is mandatory.

    off topic but Isibayeva is one of my fav athletes ever!So which athlete Russians want to see in Winter Olys? What is the petition about? I m really interested how they view this. RF must send someone anyway! I start to think other countries might root more for Plushenko than Russians, he has made the news today even here.

  11. #86
    Custom Title plushyfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    2,448
    Quote Originally Posted by AlexNY View Post
    To plushyfan: I am not quite sure how to outline it in an appropriate way to you – it is not about who hates whom and what party some leaders represent.
    It is about facts.
    I am not a Plushenko/Kovtun/or any other Russian figure skater fan – I love statistics and love the numbers. So when you say “what petition?” – there is a fact for you. ( Since you questioned the very existence of it).
    When you state “ majority” – there are facts against it.



    We are all free to express our own opinion, but to present it is a given fact is absolutely wrong; unless, of course dealing with the facts for you is something like shuffling a deck of cards and pulling the one that suites your opinion.
    So, whenever you get into a pile of information ( incl. comments, Wikipedia links, etc), instead of just a cursory look , take some time to peruse it.

    And you are right, Plushenko was chose the best athlete of Russia in 2013.

    But please give to everybody the fact about this highly scientific poll ( since you are so much into denouncing other’s political affiliations): the poll was conducted by the state run, government funded agency.

    1600 people were polled.
    159 voted for Plushensko.
    10%.
    Population of Russia - 143 million people

    Honestly, I would not even mention this poll.
    OK. Read it . http://evgeni-plushenko.com/forum/vi...t=6&start=2700 in that thread you can read everything, who is the supporters and who is the opponents.
    and read the "other interesting news" and the "press about evgeni on ice thread"

    http://www.sportion.ru/news/4559
    78% of Russia's population will watch the Olympics in Sochi

    Became known research results of the All-Russian Public Opinion Research Center (WCIOM) for Russians' interest in the upcoming Winter Olympics in Sochi.

    The most popular winter sports in our country remain hockey, biathlon, figure skating. Among the athletes greatest excitement cause skater Evgeni Plushenko (poll leader, who has received 9 % of the respondents), hockey players Alexander Ovechkin and Evgeni Malkin (3 %), as well as biathletes Olga Zaitseva (4 %) and Anton SHIPULIN.

    --------------------

    ... Among the most recognizable athletes, as "Face of the Sochi Olympics " interviewed called E. Plushenko, Zaitseva, Ovechkin, Malikin and Shipulin... With a significant margin leads E. Plushenko - 9 %, then O. Zaitseva - 4%. Option "I cheer for all, for Russia" also scored 4% , Shipulin and Ovechkin (3 %).

    http://vppress.ru/stories/Za-Plyusch...eyut-vse-21588


    http://wciom.ru/index.php?id=459&uid=114678
    Rating of Russian elite 2013"

    Voting of Russian citizens in annual Poll by All-Russian Public Opinion Research Center (WCIOM)
    By voting of Russian citizens - Plushy got 5% of votes (17th place, in total) and he is AGAIN first among Russian athletes! http://evgeni-plushenko.com/forum/vi...t=55&start=830

    Please name the 10 people who, in your opinion, in the first place can be attributed as Russian elite;
    those who has greatest merit to Russia (this may be the polictics, deputies... business leaders... famous scientists, writers, artists, composers, artists, pop composers, rock musicians, athletes, journalists, leading television programs)

    http://www.team-russia2014.ru/article/13399.html

    More than 15 million fans have already participated in voting for the Russian Olympic team flag bearer at the opening ceremony of the 2014 Games in Sochi! Evgeni Plushenko by a large margin ahead of Olga Zaitseva

    1. Евгений Плющенко (фигурное катание), олимпийский чемпион, трёхкратный чемпион мира – 6458 голосов (41,6 процента всех проголосовавших)
    2. Ольга Зайцева (биатлон), двукратная олимпийская чемпионка, трёхкратная чемпионка мира – 3119 (20,1)
    3. Илья Ковальчук (хоккей), призёр Олимпийских игр, двукратный чемпион мира – 1885 (12,1)
    4. Виктор Ан (шорт-трек), трехкратный олимпийский чемпион, 20-кратный чемпион мира – 1153 (7,4)
    5. Никита Крюков (лыжные гонки), олимпийский чемпион, двукратный чемпион мира – 740 (4,8)
    6. Александр Зубков (бобслей), двукратный призёр Олимпийских игр, чемпион мира – 543 (3,5)
    7-8. Екатерина Тудегешева (сноуборд), двукратная чемпионка мира – 475 (3,1)
    7-8. Альберт Демченко (санный спорт), призёр Олимпийских игр – 475 (3,1)
    9. Александр Третьяков (скелетон), призёр Олимпийских игр, чемпион мира – 355 (2,3)
    10. Иван Скобрев (конькобежный спорт), двукратный призёр Олимпийских игр – 318 (2,0)

    http://vk.com/teamrussia2014?fixed=1

    WARNING! POLL! Who should carry the banner of Russia at the opening of the Olympic Winter Games of 2014 in Sochi?

    http://fsnews.ru/polls-id-61.html Who should represent Russia in the men's figure skating at the Olympics in 2014?
    this is a FS site



    Do you want more?

    I'm right you believe me.

  12. #87
    Custom Title Mathman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Detroit, Michigan
    Posts
    28,113
    Keep your conditioning up, Maxim. Regardless of what the potentates are saying now, I bet Plushenko skates in the team event and wins a silver medal, while unfortunately aggrevating his injuries to the point that he cannot continue in the individual competition. A way will then be found for Kovtun to enter the fray.
    Last edited by Mathman; 01-22-2014 at 05:13 PM.

  13. #88
    leave no stone unturned seniorita's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    5,580
    ^ Get your facts straight Mathman, Plushenko will be the first skater ever to win back to back platinum medals.

  14. #89
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    435
    Quote Originally Posted by seniorita View Post
    ^ Get your facts straight Mathman, Plushenko will be the first skater ever to win back to back platinum medals.

    I love that
    I don't care of Plushenko.
    He already killed some of the young one's. Why he needed to win another European title in 2012, to beat Gachinski, the young talent there.
    Look what happened with Gachinski after that.
    Doing well under pressure? What happened last year (weak) Euro?? 5th place in short Programmme and than "injury". If you can call his permanent arrogance a "good handling of pressure" it is not me.


    I want to see Chan, Hanyu, Fernandez, Brown, Takahashi, Abbott, Machida, not the arteficial "drama" which only wants to create 0.50 more points in PCS section.
    Boring and disgusting.

    I quite liked Menshov in Budapest watching alive. I personally prefer him.

  15. #90
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    3,623
    Quote Originally Posted by seniorita View Post
    Huh? Why would a politician mind Plushenko having surgery in Israel?
    I m ok with the facts I m just questioning the bureocratic comment they made and what is their motive, are they interested in figure skating and sent a letter for this? Cause if I can judge from our political situation, it is not a surprise they will use an excuse, ex Plushenko to fight the Games. I guess in every Olys a letter about Plushy is mandatory.

    off topic but Isibayeva is one of my fav athletes ever!So which athlete Russians want to see in Winter Olys? What is the petition about? I m really interested how they view this. RF must send someone anyway! I start to think other countries might root more for Plushenko than Russians, he has made the news today even here.
    Zhironovsky uses every excuse to bash Israel/Jews! It's his thing.

Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •