Russia chooses Plushenko for Sochi Olympics | Page 6 | Golden Skate

Russia chooses Plushenko for Sochi Olympics

Kinga

Medalist
I'm not saying that he shouldn't go to the Olympics as a punishment for not getting Russia two spots. But I do think it's relevant that he's performed badly at his first appearance at every major international competition (2013 Worlds, 2013 GPF, 2014 Euros) so far. .
Just to keep the facts straight: Euro 2014 was his second Euro. He participated in 2013 (a debut), where he placed 5th. Not shabby at all.

I want to see Chan, Hanyu, Fernandez, Brown, Takahashi, Abbott, Machida, not the arteficial "drama" which only wants to create 0.50 more points in PCS section.

I agree. It will be all about Plushenko, endless fluffs, endless commentators focus (especially in the countries where commentators know nothing about figure skating and hence they will want to focus on something that they could rant about). It is sad that other skaters won't receive proper attention. We have seen this already in 2010, and already then I was sick of it. I guess it is time for part 2. Some people like it and anticipate it, some don't. I don't.

LRK

Record Breaker
‏@EvgeniPlushenko
Спасибо всем за поддержку!Вы мне дали сил и уверенности!Эта маленькая победа наша с вами!Люблю
10:49 PM - 22 Jan 2014
https://twitter.com/EvgeniPlushenko/status/426245337112911872

Very rough translation (corrections welcome):
Thanks to all for your support. You have given me strength and reassurance. I share this small victory with you. I love you.

Oh, thank you so much for posting that golden! :)

@seniorita - Oh, that is priceless! Of course I love cats and I love Plushy, so it is a perfect combination, but... ! When is that photo from? Anyway, thanks for such a good laugh. :)

seniorita

Record Breaker
It is from KOI 2007, 2008 something like that. I m not sure but I think it is from Live with Plush MTV ?

rollerblade

Record Breaker
I like Plushy and his consistency but I'm not a blind fanatic. I like Kovtun and his potential but I can't say he 100% got screwed either. What a lose-lose situation, the decision will forever be accompanied by an asterisk no matter the outcome. They would be better off having no spots.

What I dislike the most is having last year's Worlds as a spot-qualifier for this year's Olympics. There's almost a year gap between the 2 events, so much can happen. A baby can be conceived at 2013 Worlds, and most definitely be born before 2014 Olys. Why can't every country get 2 or 3 spots, provided their entrants met the qualification requirements set for said season? (or 1 wild card spot if you're from Equatorial Guinea; I found Eric Moussambani's story to be inspiring!).

It is as bogus as the "must be 15 before July 1" rule. Why July 1? Why not Aug 3, Oct 17, or Dec 25? Anyway, I felt last season results belongs to last season. The qualifier should (imo) be determined by this season's materials. Nationals preceding Olys in Dec, Euros/4CC held concurrently (so 4CC isn't seen as the "loser" competition). Each country can have their own selection criteria, but "body of work" garbage should be limited to two most recent seasons only. I don't care if you're a boyscout-of-the-year in middle school when you're interviewing for the CFO position at whatever pinnacle corporation.

RemyRose

YOLO
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Regarding Plushenko's situation:
I could have sworn that I read that Cinquanta said in an interview during Euros that if a country is entitled to only one entry in a discipline, and the one entry withdraws during/after the Olympic team event, then the country is NOT allowed to have a replacement entry in the individual discipline.
[I don't know whether Cinquanta was answering a question about Plushenko in particular or a hypothetical query unattached to any one skater.]

Here's the interview with Cinquanta http://www.artonice.it/?q=it/node/15250

seniorita

Record Breaker
^ But what Ciquanta says is about TE and the article is making it look like a loophole, but it is not that diffcult for anyone to read the original communication, the replacement policy runs under IOC and is there for all disciplines. And it is not something new. IF Plushenko is replaced due to injury after TE, I see a whole round of cry linking this or icenetwork article, nobody will bother to read the actual communication.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
If he withdraws and is replaced, there will indeed be an outcry. If he's unable to be replaced there will also be an outcry because presumably Kovtun or Voronov could have at least competed in both events, instead of Plushenko scooping up a guaranteed medal and calling it a day.

If that were the case, maybe China can submit Sui/Han and Nan Song for the pairs and men's team event to give them some Olympics experience (since China has no chance to medal), have them "withdraw due to injury" and then P/Z, P/T, and Han Yan can compete in individual events. :p

LRK

Record Breaker
Well, this sounds like a level-headed fellow...

http://en.rsport.ru/olympics/20140123/717478768.html

"If figure skating star Evgeny Plushenko fails to win gold at next month’s Sochi Olympics, Russian sports officials should lose their jobs, leading nationalist lawmaker Vladimir Zhirinovsky said Thursday."

---

"Zhirinovsky, leader of the far-right Liberal Democratic Party of Russia, is known for making provocative statements, including a call earlier this month for his party comrades to have sex just "three or four times a year" as part of a healthy lifestyle push. He also supports weight limits for parliamentarians and has called for Russia to deploy nuclear weapons against various perceived enemies."

Though I must say I find the term "far-right Liberal" rather headscratchingly a contradiction in terms? But I confess I know nothing of Russian politics...

Frenchie

I'm gonna customize the CRAP out of this title!
Medalist
He adores cats, no cat will be harmed during Plushenko's skate in team or individual competition. :popcorn:

Team SP: ca. 2:45
Team FS: ca. 4:35
Individual SP: ca. 2.45 (still in the air)
Individual FS: ca. 4:35 (still in the air)
Total: 14.40
You're giving the cats of the world 14 minutes and 40 seconds of relief from persecution! Not much, but it's a start! ;) Just Kidding!
That pic of him holding the 2 white kittens was really cute :)

Frenchie

I'm gonna customize the CRAP out of this title!
Medalist
Well, this sounds like a level-headed fellow...
http://en.rsport.ru/olympics/20140123/717478768.html

Wow. I have officially seen everything now. There's even a statement uttered by someone like Zhirinovsky that I can actually approve of.
“I think it would have been better to send Kovtun. He’s the champion of Russia, and what’s Plushenko the champion of? He gets ill, operations. Why are we sending an injured athlete?”
Bluebonnet, according to this new realization, I now believe there must be hope for you yet! :agree:
The rest of his rambling is obviously nonsense, since no Russian skater has a shot at the Gold Medal in the Men's event..

lavender

Record Breaker
Plushenko + Adelina + Julia + VT + BL + BS = good shot at gold

I was only thinking of the men (not the ladies or pairs). I don't think a lot of people were realistically seeing another gold in Plushenko's future whether he won his Nationals or not.

Hey I'm for Plushenko going to Sochi because of his presence and experience.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
I was only thinking of the men (not the ladies or pairs). I don't think a lot of people were realistically seeing another gold in Plushenko's future whether he won his Nationals or not.

Hey I'm for Plushenko going to Sochi because of his presence and experience.

Sorry, I meant as a team in the team event they have a shot at gold.

Wow. I have officially seen everything now. There's even a statement uttered by someone like Zhirinovsky that I can actually approve of.

“I think it would have been better to send Kovtun. He’s the champion of Russia, and what’s Plushenko the champion of?…

Oh these Russian youngsters, how quickly they forget. ;) Plushenko is ten-time Russian Champion, including last year (2013) as well as the year before (2012).

Yeah, I know – what have you done for us lately. ;)

AlexNY

Spectator
@LRK: Not related to FS – I know the ideological name of the politician is a total misnomer. The “liberal” is there just because it reflects the official (partly) title of the party that he is leader of.
The best way to describe him is to imagine a weird combo of Geert Wilders , some part of Thiloe Sarrazin & Marine Le Pen - what in Europe we’d call a right-wing populist.

Back to FS; Kovtun is now officially named as the alternate No. 1