Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast

Thread: Russia chooses Plushenko for Sochi Olympics

Quote Originally Posted by bigdeal View Post
    Why he needed to win another European title in 2012, to beat Gachinski, the young talent there.
    Good question....

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post
    Keep your conditioning up, Maxim. Regardless of what the potentates are saying now, I bet Plushenko skates in the team event and wins a silver medal, while unfortunately aggrevating his injuries to the point that he cannot continue in the individual competition. A way will then be found for Kovtun to enter the fray.
    I unfortunately think that you are perfectly right, like I also mentioned in another topic before. Even if Plushenko made a HUGE PR mistake to announce that "I will only participate in the team event" with wrong timing, far too early, after the Russian National, the Russians will be brave enough in Sochi to do this "trick" succesfully hiding the facts Plushenko doesn't even have a decent Long Program this season ( concerning what I've seen in the Russian National without jumps and real choreography and a medley of past music cuts...." He prefer to be a hero getting a new medal with his (only )short program and than ready to cheat everyone for that??? Give me a break. This is an OLYMPIC with its general idea....

I don't know why he has decided to stop giving something positive to this sport and started to only self advertise himself.
    His past results have been perfectly enough for that without this sad chapter of the "story".

Custom Title
    I unfortunately think that you are perfectly right, like I also mentioned in another topic before. Even if Plushenko made a HUGE PR mistake to announce that "I will only participate in the team event" with wrong timing, far too early, after the Russian National, the Russians will be brave enough in Sochi to do this "trick" succesfully hiding the facts Plushenko doesn't even have a decent Long Program this season ( concerning what I've seen in the Russian National without jumps and real choreography and a medley of past music cuts...." He prefer to be a hero getting a new medal with his (only )short program and than ready to cheat everyone for that??? Give me a break. This is an OLYMPIC with its general idea....

I don't know why he has decided to stop giving something positive to this sport and started to only self advertise himself.
    His past results have been perfectly enough for that without this sad chapter of the "story".
    I can see this happening but I also see if Plushy can skate he will skate. I am not trying to give him the benfit of the doubt but I think he would try.

Custom Title
    *sigh*

Yep, that's it, keep spreading misinformation...

Plushy said that he would choose the team event in response to a DIRECT question from a journalist that asked which he would choose - the team or individual. At the time he did not know he couldn't choose and that he had to do both. When he found out that he couldn't choose, he said he would do both.

Personally, I am very suspicious of how many journalists are asking direct questions that set Plushy up for controversy. Between this one and the "heir" question...hm. Tarasova's power at work, no doubt.

Celebrating the Excellence of #VirtueMoir golden411's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Frenchie View Post
    Thanks! I haven't heard from seniorita who edited my post, but Mathman was kind enough to send me a pm to explain the technical aspects of it all.
    Happy to hear that you received an explanation from MM. Although GS is not a democracy, the default mode of the mods is benevolence, as far as I can tell.

Custom Title
    I don't get this at all. I know Kovtun is young and still far from reaching his potential, but Plushenko is well past his prime. He'd need a miracle to win a medal in Sochi given how poorly he compares with the top men. He's not as good as they are technically any more- I think he has one quad planned in his FS and most of the top men have 2- and he's never been a very good artistic skater. Kovtun has way more to gain from going to Sochi skating-wise. If the Russian Fed wants to send him for monetary/sponsorship purposes, can't they just give him a booth or some sort of visible platform at the Games and be done with it? I'll feel bad for Kovtun if he gets bumped.

Celebrating the Excellence of #VirtueMoir golden411's Avatar
    ‏@EvgeniPlushenko
    Спасибо всем за поддержку!Вы мне дали сил и уверенности!Эта маленькая победа наша с вами!Люблю
    10:49 PM - 22 Jan 2014
    https://twitter.com/EvgeniPlushenko/...45337112911872

Very rough translation (corrections welcome):
    Thanks to all for your support. You have given me strength and reassurance. I share this small victory with you. I love you.

Custom Title
    , the Russians will be brave enough in Sochi to do this "trick" succesfully hiding the facts Plushenko doesn't even have a decent Long Program this season ( concerning what I've seen in the Russian National without jumps and real choreography and a medley of past music cuts...." He prefer to be a hero getting a new medal with his (only )short program and than ready to cheat everyone for that??? Give me a break. This is an OLYMPIC with its general idea....

It is incredibly how some people get so annoyed, miffed, mad, furious over things that have not happened yet
    Breaking News: Olympics have not started and Plushenko has not skated yet!
    He hasn't yet made any mistake on any of his jumps, he hasn't got any medal, he hasn't awarded himself any medal, he hasn't been given any inflated marks, he has not retired from any event and he has not killed anyone's cat!
    So could you please ***** and moan AFTER all the above things actually happen?

Quote Originally Posted by amber68 View Post
    It is incredibly how some people get so annoyed, miffed, mad, furious over things that have not happened yet
    He hasn't yet made any mistake on any of his jumps, he hasn't got any medal, he hasn't awarded himself any medal, he hasn't been given any inflated marks, he has not retired from any event and he has not killed anyone's cat!

I'm gonna Customize the CRAP out of this Title!!! Frenchie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by amber68 View Post

Why not pre-moan, since we know 5 out of those 7 will happen:
    Olympics will start - check.
    Plushenko will skate - check.
    Plushenko will make some mistake on some of his jumps - check. Duh.
    Plushenko will get a medal - check, since as you guys keep pointing out, it's pretty irrelevant who the Russian Man is for the Team to medal.
    Plushenko will award himself a medal - I guess not this time around
    Plushenko will be given inflated marks - triple check. Since he always emphasized the importance of quads: Quadruple check.
    Plushenko will retire from an event - check. Either they still go for the foreshadowed switching identities thing, or he tries the individual SP and quits when he's not in the top 6.
    Plushenko will kill anyone's cat - I swear I do not know Plushy's stance on cats.

leave no stone unturned seniorita's Avatar
    Famous Pets I think he is channeling Paris Hilton on this pic.

Edgy Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Panini View Post
    I'm not saying that he shouldn't go to the Olympics as a punishment for not getting Russia two spots. But I do think it's relevant that he's performed badly at his first appearance at every major international competition (2013 Worlds, 2013 GPF, 2014 Euros) so far. .
    Just to keep the facts straight: Euro 2014 was his second Euro. He participated in 2013 (a debut), where he placed 5th. Not shabby at all.

I want to see Chan, Hanyu, Fernandez, Brown, Takahashi, Abbott, Machida, not the arteficial "drama" which only wants to create 0.50 more points in PCS section.
    I agree. It will be all about Plushenko, endless fluffs, endless commentators focus (especially in the countries where commentators know nothing about figure skating and hence they will want to focus on something that they could rant about). It is sad that other skaters won't receive proper attention. We have seen this already in 2010, and already then I was sick of it. I guess it is time for part 2. Some people like it and anticipate it, some don't. I don't.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by seniorita View Post
    Famous Pets I think he is channeling Paris Hilton on this pic.
    ...and Tarasova.That fur on the jacket is

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by golden411 View Post
    ‏@EvgeniPlushenko
    Спасибо всем за поддержку!Вы мне дали сил и уверенности!Эта маленькая победа наша с вами!Люблю
    10:49 PM - 22 Jan 2014
    https://twitter.com/EvgeniPlushenko/...45337112911872

Very rough translation (corrections welcome):
    Thanks to all for your support. You have given me strength and reassurance. I share this small victory with you. I love you.
    Oh, thank you so much for posting that golden!

@seniorita - Oh, that is priceless! Of course I love cats and I love Plushy, so it is a perfect combination, but... ! When is that photo from? Anyway, thanks for such a good laugh.

leave no stone unturned seniorita's Avatar
    It is from KOI 2007, 2008 something like that. I m not sure but I think it is from Live with Plush MTV ?

Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast