Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast
Results 121 to 135 of 175

Thread: Russia chooses Plushenko for Sochi Olympics

  1. #121
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    1,661
    Thanks AlexNY! I did wonder...

  2. #122
    leave no stone unturned seniorita's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    5,580
    Quote Originally Posted by CanadianSkaterGuy View Post
    If he withdraws and is replaced, there will indeed be an outcry. If he's unable to be replaced there will also be an outcry because presumably Kovtun or Voronov could have at least competed in both events, instead of Plushenko scooping up a guaranteed medal and calling it a day.
    Thats the thing, people dont read nothing or half of it but like to cry out loud. It is also the problem of journalists omitting to read and report whatever.. The communication which I dont know why is so hard to bother and read says there is a meet up on Feb 5th, after this time no skater can be replaced for Team event and 10th Feb meeting for individulas, and an athlete can be replaced there and not after, the reasons are checked and needs the approval from Olympic Commitee.
    If Peter Liebers or Jenna McCorkell are injured after Team event they can be replaced and there is no loophole.
    Last edited by seniorita; 01-23-2014 at 04:14 PM.

  3. #123
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    4,828
    Quote Originally Posted by seniorita View Post
    Thats the thing, people dont read nothing or half of it but like to cry out loud. It is also the problem of journalists omitting to read and report whatever.. The communication which I dont know why is so hard to bother and read says there is a meet up on Feb 5th, after this time no skater can be replaced for Team event and 10th Feb meeting for individulas, and an athlete can be replaced there and not after, the reasons are checked and needs the approval from Olympic Commitee.
    If Peter Liebers or Jenna McCorkell are injured after Team event they can be replaced and there is no loophole.
    I think it's more of an outcry because he himself said he'd skate the Team event and leave the individual event to another, without realizing he let the cat out of the bag as per what the Russian federation might have intended to do all along. Now it looks super sketchy and questionable if he withdraws after scooping up a team medal due to "injury" and Kovtun (to everyone's surprise!) comes in for the individual event. It's pre-emptive although I don't think anyone can do anything about it even if the Russian fed deliberately uses this loophole to their advantage -- it is their Olympics after all.

  4. #124
    leave no stone unturned seniorita's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    5,580
    Replacing an athlete due to injury at Olympic Games is not a loophole no matter how many times you repeat it and it is not the first time it would happen either.

  5. #125
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    7,379
    Zhenya practice video
    he could be on peak again for the Olympic Games, lets hope http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=63JBX...layer_embedded

  6. #126
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    2,314
    Quote Originally Posted by CanadianSkaterGuy View Post
    I think it's more of an outcry because he himself said he'd skate the Team event and leave the individual event to another, without realizing he let the cat out of the bag as per what the Russian federation might have intended to do all along. Now it looks super sketchy and questionable if he withdraws after scooping up a team medal due to "injury" and Kovtun (to everyone's surprise!) comes in for the individual event. It's pre-emptive although I don't think anyone can do anything about it even if the Russian fed deliberately uses this loophole to their advantage -- it is their Olympics after all.
    Oh for crying out loud!

    He was ASKED DIRECTLY by a journalist to choose between the two events. He said the team event as an answer to a DIRECT QUESTION. He DID NOT KNOW that he would have to do both. When he was corrected on that assumption, he immediately said that he would do both.

    This is going to be just like the platinum medal rubbish isn't it? The North American skating press just LOVES to deliberately misquote him or attribute things to him that he never said.

  7. #127
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    3,521
    Quote Originally Posted by CanadianSkaterGuy View Post
    I think it's more of an outcry because he himself said he'd skate the Team event and leave the individual event to another, without realizing he let the cat out of the bag as per what the Russian federation might have intended to do all along. Now it looks super sketchy and questionable if he withdraws after scooping up a team medal due to "injury" and Kovtun (to everyone's surprise!) comes in for the individual event. It's pre-emptive although I don't think anyone can do anything about it even if the Russian fed deliberately uses this loophole to their advantage -- it is their Olympics after all.
    This is why I generally don't like loopholes because someone shouldn't have to be "injured" to get a spot on a team. If they are qualified they are qualified, if not they aren't. In the same way I think Ashley should not have to be injured to get an Olympic spot if she is otherwise qualified, Plushenko should not have to claim an injury to give his spot to Kotvun if he is qualified based on the minimum score.

  8. #128
    Rinkside
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    3

    alternate 1

    Back to FS; Kovtun is now officially named as the alternate No. 1[/QUOTE]

    Where did you get that information? I can't find it. They list both names but nothing about the order.

  9. #129
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    2,606
    Kovtun should be practicing for both the olympics and world`s .

  10. #130
    Custom Title skateluvr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    2,578
    Sadly Kovtun has not competed the way we know he can skate. I don't care, I just hope there is not a deal where Plush gets bronze cuz he is the great Plushy. I think I would miss him, were he not skating. I just hope he does not let everyone down and embarrass himself. Realistically, he will get overscored and push someone down, but hopefully not a deserving bronze medalist.

    I can't imagine this would happen-I hope not.

  11. #131
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    4,828
    So if Plushenko withdraws after nabbing a medal, and withdraws due to injury, I suppose we should all take him and the Russian fed at his word, and not suspect any foul play? Perhaps the German and Chinese pairs should send their alternates to compete in the team event in order to give them experience and to rest up P/T and S/S and we can say that those alternates unfortunately got injured and P/T and S/S could step in? Maybe send Nan Song to compete in Men's team event and then "withdraw due to injury" to allow a rested Yan to freshly compete in the individual event.

  12. #132
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    4,828
    Quote Originally Posted by karne View Post
    This is going to be just like the platinum medal rubbish isn't it? The North American skating press just LOVES to deliberately misquote him or attribute things to him that he never said.
    As if he's absolved of anything negative he has said. I suppose tweeting Chan's world title was won by his federation and the nasty attempt to throw Kovtun under the bus were the North American skating press twisting his words.

  13. #133
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    1,033
    Quote Originally Posted by CanadianSkaterGuy View Post
    So if Plushenko withdraws after nabbing a medal, and withdraws due to injury, I suppose we should all take him and the Russian fed at his word, and not suspect any foul play? Perhaps the German and Chinese pairs should send their alternates to compete in the team event in order to give them experience and to rest up P/T and S/S and we can say that those alternates unfortunately got injured and P/T and S/S could step in? Maybe send Nan Song to compete in Men's team event and then "withdraw due to injury" to allow a rested Yan to freshly compete in the individual event.
    I don't think that's allowed. If an athlete or team withdraws after the Team event, there will be no replacement. The alternate can only substitute before the event, and not after.

  14. #134
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    4,828
    Quote Originally Posted by Becki View Post
    I don't think that's allowed. If an athlete or team withdraws after the Team event, there will be no replacement. The alternate can only substitute before the event, and not after.
    People seem to be saying otherwise. Which is it? I hope that is not allowed as we all know the Russian fed would exploit - ahem, "benefit from" - that.

  15. #135
    leave no stone unturned seniorita's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    5,580
    If by people you mean ISU the yes, it seems people say otherwise.

    ISU communication 1844
    Olympic Winter Games 2014 - Sochi - Clarifications Related to the Figure Skating Team Event and Replacements/Substitutions for Medical Reasons

    Contrary to the ISU Events for which the ISU Rules for substitutes/replacements apply, in the case of
    the Olympic Winter Games the IOC Late Athlete Replacement Policy applies exclusively. ..
    Team Event

    .. for entries related to the Figure Skating Team Event as a whole, it is possible to make athletes replacements
    only up to and during the Team Leaders confirmation meeting for the Figure Skating Team Event,
    scheduled for 10.00 a.m. on February 5th, 2014. After that time/date a replacement for the Team Event
    is not any more possible..
    Individuals
    for entries related to individual Figure Skating events (Pair Skating, Men, Ice Dance, Ladies) it is possible to make athletes replacements only up to and during the Team Leaders meeting for the Figure Skating (individual) events scheduled for 10.00 a.m. on February 10 th , 2014, for the same circumstances as mentioned above (injury and/or sickness)
    It is Piseev who announced Kovtun as the alternate, but now I cant seem to find the article. Maybe it will be posted in RF page.

Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •