Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Who are your top 10 Ladies?

Banned
    How I see it:

I think this will be a typical year at worlds; Sasha will do a good short, but stumble several times in the long, Fumie will have some sloppy sections of her long but will medal after her typical solid short, a Russian will take second and Michelle will win with a dissapointingly conservative long that she's been doing since she was 13 with six triples and no 3-3. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE Michelle, she's my favorite skater. I just wish she'd surprise us and challenge herself.

Now I'll get detailed:

1. Michelle Kwan-Although recentley I had a dream that she was injured and 6th after the short, I still think that she'll win. The judges like her, the fans like her, she is exactly where she should be mentally and she said she's been working the 3-3's, but it's probably just hype. I want her to win, and I think she will. She also has more true emotion than any other lady, no fake Sasha Cohen or that dramatic Russian presentation here.

2. Elena Sokolova-NO LONGER POUNDCAKE! Did anyone see European's? Woweee! She pulled it together. Yes the skating was awful, her spirals suck, her spins were slow as molasses, but did you see those jumps??!! Ok yes, she doubled the second 3z, but those two 3-3's! Maybe the second 3 on those combo's were a little questionable, but either way, a very ambitious program executed well! I am so happy for her, she lost about 20 pounds and man has she been training. I think she'll nail it at worlds, maybe with a small error like at Euros, but that presentation mark will go way down to Michelle.

3. Fumie Suguri-she's probably feeling confident after the GPF win as she should. I love watching her skate, she is so fast and powerful with such nice edges. I just think that if Elena hits her jumps, she'll oust Fumie. Fumie will probably not do a 3-3 (although she's done 3z-3t in the past) and in her longs, usually one of her triples is messed up, whether she pops, two-foots or steps out. If Elena makes one or more serious mistakes, or a combination of small errors, Fumie is an easy 2nd. If Michelle messes up, Fumie could pull another upset.

4. Shizuka Arakawa-Man has this girl improved! I really like watching her skate, she's fast, nice and subtle edges, spins have gotten better and those jumps....yea those jumps. She usually hits the 3z-3t and has attempted 2 3-3's in one long. She hasn't had any disasters lately so she should be in good shape. Again, if anyone above her messes up, she'll probably oust them without a problem.

5. Miki Ando-She probably isn't where she needs to be right now politically. Isn't this her first big senior international also? There will be a lot of pressure on her, and I bet she'll land the quad but other easier jumps may go as they have in the past. Even if she skates clean, I don't think she'll be rewarded properly. Her presentation is very good and she manipulates her long limbs nicely.

6. Sasha Cohen-Typical skates for Sasha, no more, no less. Maybe she'll even mess up the short like in the GPF. She'll start off great in the long, miss that 3t (she always does, maybe she shouldn't do 3t) and then she will have trouble regaining her composure, by the time she does, it will be too late. This field is just too strong for her to make mistakes on jumps.

7. Julia Sebastyen-She won Europeans, so she'll be confident and in good politcal standing. Those jumps are great, especially the 3z. She just never does a fully clean long. I expect 4-5 triples, and then she'll pop and step out of the remaining two she planned. If she skates clean, I still don't think they'll move her up that much, maybe to fifthish. I really like her presentation though, she does skate like the typical European woman with the flailing arms and dramatic face and lack of extension (cough Sokolova cough).

8. Elena Liashenko-She looked good at Euros, but a little slow and it wasn't her best. I think she'll do better at Worlds, but again she'll skate similar to the way Sebastyen skates but without the same level of presentation, spins and pop in her jumps.

9. Jenny Kirk-She never really surprises anyone. She skates lacklusterly and never stands up to the pressure. Where is the killer instinct? Also I think that she doesn't have the Senior level presentation yet and the jumps are a little spazzy looking and often cheated. She needs time to develop.

10. Carolina Kostner-Too much has been expected of her from the begining and she hasn't been able to stand up to it yet. For instance, why was she 11th at Worlds last year and 5th at Europeans? She should have won Europeans. She needs time to develop mentally.

Custom Title
    Kwan
    Suguri
    Cohen

Arakawa
    Ando

Kirk
    Sokolova
    Sebastyen
    Laishenko
    Rochette

If Irina shows up, top five but no podium this year.

Custom Title
    In no particular order:

Michelle Kwan
    Fumie Suguri
    Sasha Cohen
    Shizuka Arakawa
    Elena Liashenko
    Elena Sokolova
    Julia Sebastyen
    Joannie Rochette
    Jenny Kirk
    Japanese girl who won 4CC

Ice Angel
    I don't think Sasha will skate that poor as youarewhipped predicted. I think Sasha will skate a great short program as she did at US National. In her competitive history, most time Sasha could do great short programs. If she really benefit from Robin Waganer's teaching, she should skate a clean long program too. But I don't know Robin can fix her flutz. Robin did not fix sarah Hughs' flutz.
    If Sasha skate two clean programs I think she definitly will be 2nd.
    If she falls on one jump, she'll be fourth after Fumie and Sebestyen.

Custom Title
    Originally posted by rain

Japanese girl who won 4CC
    Yukina Ota, the girl won 4CC, won't be at Worlds.

IRINA is back in town.

Joe

Medalist

Top Ten

The top ladies skaters I never tire of seeing:

1. Yuka Sato
    2.Michelle Kwan
    3.Lucinda Rue
    4.Sonya Bonalay
    5. Lu Chen
    6. Denise Biellman
    7.Sasha Cohen
    8.Fumie
    9. Karyn Cadevye
    10.Josee Chouinard

On the Ice
    This is so tough because the ladies field seems to be packed with great skaters at the moment.

1. Kwan
    2. Cohen
    3. Sokolova
    4. Suguri
    5. Ando
    6. Liashenko
    7. Arakawa
    8. Sebestyen
    9. Kirk
    10. Poykio

If Slutskaya is there I think she'll place around 5-7. I don't think she can show up at Worlds after being out over a year and win a medal. Though, if she can proove me wrong, I'll be cheering with the rest of you.

On the Ice
    It participation Slutskaja
    1. Slutskaja
    2. Kvan
    3. Cohen
    4. Suguri
    5. Ando
    6.Sokolova
    7. Sebestyen
    8. Ditrt (do not forget WCH in GermanyIt is possible to repeat a case with hungarian Pavuh on the championship Europe)
    9.Soldatova
    10. Arakawa

In my heart, I'm actually Canadian....
    1. Kwan
    2. Arakawa
    3. Cohen
    4. Suguri
    5. Sokolova
    6. Sebestyen
    7. Ando
    8. Kirk
    9. Liashenko
    10. Robinson

On the Ice
    WHO WILL GO TO DORTMUND

IRINA SLUTSKAYA IS INCLUDED IN THE APPLICATION FORM FOR PARTICIPATION IN THE WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP ON FIGURE SKATING

And it while the biggest surprise, in fact Irina long and seriously was ill, in one tournament of this season did not participate yet. But, apparently, illness behind. World champion - 2002 of year strenuously trains and even has prepared new programs - short and any.

Is in the application and Victoria Volchkova, on championship of Europe in Budapest not acted. And, certainly, the third prize-winner of the European championship Elena Sokolova will go to Dortmund.

http://www.trud.ru/006_Sbt/200402280370504.htm

Down With It
    IRINA SLUTSKAYA IS INCLUDED IN THE APPLICATION FORM FOR PARTICIPATION IN THE WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP ON FIGURE SKATING
    If I understand this correctly, this means she IS going to be there? I hope this is her decision (not her federation's) and that it's the right one- in other words, she is not risking her health or anything.

1-Cohen
    2-Kwan
    3-Arakawa
    4-Suguri
    5-Sebestyen
    6-Kirk
    7-Slutskaya ?
    8-Sokolova
    9-Liashenko
    10-Ando

If Slutskaya does not compete then I would put Kostner in 10th & move 8-10 up one spot.

Sorry, I already posted my picks.

On the Ice

Top 10 picks

1-Kwan
    2-Ando
    3-Cohen
    4-Arakawa
    5-Slutskaya
    6-Suguri
    7-Kirk
    8-Liashenko
    9- Sebestyen