Ladies SP - 2014 4CC | Page 11 | Golden Skate

Ladies SP - 2014 4CC

zamboni step

Final Flight
Oh lord! Enough with the pointed toes already. Hae Jin KIM skated beautifully and if there is such a thing as a YuNa Kim school of skating then she is a top student of it. THAT is not a bad thing.
So happy for Li and I hope now she gets included in the conversations now. I'm exhausted talking about Ashley, Gracie and Katlyn. Li is at least in their company. She just needs to do more of the same in the Free which she has proved she can.
As for Mirai, she has the tools and I hope she is mindful that Americans love stories of rehabilitation and redemption. Hang in there Mirai and you may yet one day be celebrated. :)

I find Park So-Youn to be more similar in the sense that whilst Kim Hae-Jin has a fire and charisma that is similar to Yu-Na, she doesn't have the lyrical, gentle side of Yu-Na's skating down. Park has both, something that I find to be one of Yu-Na's greatest qualities; versatility. Also if there's something a skater is doing that bugs me, I'm going to point it out. I don't get annoyed when people point out Li Zijun's lack of power. Or Mao's flutz, it's a flaw. People are going to notice it and critique it, otherwise we might as well give all skaters 10s because of the other great qualities they have, ignoring the flaws.

RABID

Final Flight
I find Park So-Youn to be more similar in the sense that whilst Kim Hae-Jin has a fire and charisma that is similar to Yu-Na, she doesn't have the lyrical, gentle side of Yu-Na's skating down. Park has both, something that I find to be one of Yu-Na's greatest qualities; versatility. Also if there's something a skater is doing that bugs me, I'm going to point it out. I don't get annoyed when people point out Li Zijun's lack of power. Or Mao's flutz, it's a flaw. People are going to notice it and critique it, otherwise we might as well give all skaters 10s because of the other great qualities they have, ignoring the flaws.

Of course you are entitled to your criticisms but I find that particular criticism to be too often used and overstated and just a bit suspect when the skater in question has a style reminiscent of another skater infamously charged with the same apparent shortcoming.

Mao88

Record Breaker
LADIES SHORT PROGRAM - VIDEOS & RESULT - Updated

1. Kanako MURAKAMI (JPN) - 64.73 Short Program, 2nd Copy, 3rd Copy
2. Zijun LI (CHN) - 62.84 Short Program, 2nd Copy
3. Haruka IMAI (JPN) - 62.72 Short Program, 2nd Copy
4. Satoko MIYAHARA (JPN) - 60.27 Short Program, 2nd Copy
5. Hae Jin KIM (KOR) - 57.48 Short Program, 2nd Copy
6. Samantha CESARIO (USA) - 57.40 Short Program
7. Courtney HICKS (USA) - 56.36 Short Program
8. So Youn PARK (KOR) - 55.91 Short Program, 2nd Copy
9. Mirai NAGASU (USA) - 55.39 Short Program
10. Amelie LACOSTE (CAN) - 55.19

Ladies SP Complete Groups 1+2, Ladies SP Complete Groups 3+4

Gigi13

On the Ice
I liked all the ladies today and they all did a good job okay let me start off with Kanako, she killed it I'm in love :love: was a smart choice for her to go back to the program, she landed all those jumps overcoming her boot problem and I'm so happy for her. Zijun OHMYGAWD UR BACK WELCOME BACK :bow: seriously I'm a big fan of this girl, she came back after a disappointing debut at COC, she's been injured and sick for a long time and I'm so proud of my girl for getting the highest tes scores sure she needs more fire and passion in the tango but overall it was good and I'm just so happy to see her smile again after so long and I hope people talk about her more. Haruka is such a lovely skater, her skating is very graceful and she is very elegant so happy for her. Oh Mirai :cry: I'm so sad I wanted in the top three so bad I wanted you to win and be happy again, the jumps looked good and it was an okay performance I guess she's still trying to get over the disappointing nationals so I understand just please keep it together Mirai for the free skate and land on that podium I don't know I'm just sad :cry:

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
No excuses. Great fight from Mirai on the combo but overall not her best. Love the smile at the end.

Mirai went into the combo with so little speed that it's no wonder she URd both jumps. There WAS no fight!

Mirai - we need to talk about those time deductions...

Her whole program lacked speed, hence the time deduction.

Sasha'sSpins

Medalist
Country
United-States
Who was sitting with Mirai in the kiss and Cry?

That's Mirai's new coach, Takashi Mura: http://www.isuresults.com/bios/isufs00010220.htm

He looks like Mura's dad, they have similar shape head and face.

It IS his dad - and he's Mirai's coach now too.

Who was sitting with Mirai in the kiss and Cry?

That's Mirai's new coach, Takashi Mura: http://www.isuresults.com/bios/isufs00010220.htm

Mirai went into the combo with so little speed that it's no wonder she URd both jumps. There WAS no fight!

Her whole program lacked speed, hence the time deduction.

Jesus H. Christ but you're such a negative person. If I say black you say white, etc. I said that it was a great fight on the combo and it WAS. You even manage to turn the time violation into a reason to argue. :rolleye: Ridiculous. She didn't fall on the combo and she could have. She FOUGHT to stay up and she did - why is this a difficult concept for you to accept without taking yet another swipe at Nagasu? And I said 'we need to talk about the time violation' my comment meant towards Mirai in a previous post. Does everything have to be an argument with you when it comes to Mirai?

I have no doubt in my mind that if she'd skated lights out you'd still find a reason to trash her. :frown:

Frenchie

I'm gonna customize the CRAP out of this title!
Medalist
... ok now again from the start, for those who waited for Eurosport's highlights and avoided looking at this thread! ;)
I'm soooo happy that Li Zijun is back in shape! :yay:
I feel bad for not having put her on my top 5 in the prediction game, but I was so concerned her growth spurt and apparent injury/sickness earlier on in the season would still hamper her.
I'm extatic to lose those prediction points as she really deserves to make the Chinese Team for Sochi, given her potential - and her getting China 2 spots to begin with! :agree:

I hate to bring it up, but does Mirai's performance here show that the U.S. was right not to take a chance on her for the Olympic team?

leafygreens

Final Flight
I hate to bring it up, but does Mirai's performance here show that the U.S. was right not to take a chance on her for the Olympic team?

It could mean the opposite, that she is dejected about not making the team, has no support from her fed and it shows in her performance. Four Continents has never "counted" for anything as far as Olympics go, only nationals count and Mirai had the good skate where it was "supposed to have" counted. I'm sure the wind has been knocked out of her sails.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker

Let's wait until the FS. Although I agree with leafygreens about the US decision knocking the wind out of her sails, a poor performance will cool people's jets a bit about the whole US team situation.

If anything, Mirai should use the 4CC to prove that she can be consistent, to at least make a case for Worlds (even though the team has been named), or to at least show people Nationals wasn't a one-time thing.

Icey

Record Breaker
Is Mura Mirai's permanent coach and will she be moving to Japan to train with him next year?

Olympia, If that question can be answered and I question that it can be , we won't know the answer until after the Olympics. It is dependent on more than just Mirai's performance here. We will have to see how Polina and Ashley do at the Olympics. Maybe Mirai should have chosen over Polina . Maybe Ashley. Maybe neither. I would think Mirai is not in the best frame of mind for competing presently. And I have the same concern for Ashley at the big O.

Mao88

Record Breaker
LADIES SHORT PROGRAM - VIDEOS & RESULT - Updated

1. Kanako MURAKAMI (JPN) - 64.73 Short Program, 2nd Copy, 3rd Copy, 4th Copy
2. Zijun LI (CHN) - 62.84 Short Program, 2nd Copy, 3rd Copy
3. Haruka IMAI (JPN) - 62.72 Short Program, 2nd Copy, 3rd Copy
4. Satoko MIYAHARA (JPN) - 60.27 Short Program, 2nd Copy, 3rd Copy
5. Hae Jin KIM (KOR) - 57.48 Short Program, 2nd Copy
6. Samantha CESARIO (USA) - 57.40 Short Program, 2nd Copy
7. Courtney HICKS (USA) - 56.36 Short Program
8. So Youn PARK (KOR) - 55.91 Short Program, 2nd Copy
9. Mirai NAGASU (USA) - 55.39 Short Program
10. Amelie LACOSTE (CAN) - 55.19

Ladies SP Complete Groups 1+2, Ladies SP Complete Groups 3+4

RABID

Final Flight
I know it is irrelevant but Zijun Li is such a "button", as in cute as... :biggrin:

apgold

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I haven't watched any of the performances but there's only 9 points separating #1 to #10, so any of the ladies could move up in the long, including Mirai. Happy to see Samantha in 6th, though.

zamboni step

Final Flight
Of course you are entitled to your criticisms but I find that particular criticism to be too often used and overstated and just a bit suspect when the skater in question has a style reminiscent of another skater infamously charged with the same apparent shortcoming.

Yu-Na's lack of toe-point never stands out to me. It's just that Hae-Jin's is more prominent or limper or something and I can't help notice it, it bugs me so much and I'm not even sure why. It just reminds me of dangling sausage which isn't a pretty image. :p

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
*yawn* Oh, gee, how did I know this was going to happen? Mirai doesn't skate well - immediately there's a hue and cry set up of "waaaah waaaah waaaah, big evil meaniebum USFSA broke her heart and now she can't skate!".

I said it before and I'll say it again - the tech panels did her absolutely no favours when they went all soft-and-cushy on her URs at Nationals. They should have done it properly, and then maybe the whole problem wouldn't have existed in the first place. Because what's happened? She's come to an international panel and they've called the URs.

ANYWAY, I'm hoping Brooklee can pull off a "Dani and Greg"!!!!

zamboni step

Final Flight
*yawn* Oh, gee, how did I know this was going to happen? Mirai doesn't skate well - immediately there's a hue and cry set up of "waaaah waaaah waaaah, big evil meaniebum USFSA broke her heart and now she can't skate!".

I said it before and I'll say it again - the tech panels did her absolutely no favours when they went all soft-and-cushy on her URs at Nationals. They should have done it properly, and then maybe the whole problem wouldn't have existed in the first place. Because what's happened? She's come to an international panel and they've called the URs.

ANYWAY, I'm hoping Brooklee can pull off a "Dani and Greg"!!!!

To be fair her 3-3 has been credited a few times by international panels, and they did call the jump that was evidently short on rotation (the flip). I do think that it's unfair to blame USFSA for her skating poorly though, lots of skaters get given rough deals, you have to move on and keep going. Not being picked even though you were the podium member least deserving of a spot is not excuse to start turning in mediocre performances, although I'd wait until the free before announcing she needs to get her act together.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
It could mean the opposite, that she is dejected about not making the team, has no support from her fed and it shows in her performance. Four Continents has never "counted" for anything as far as Olympics go, only nationals count and Mirai had the good skate where it was "supposed to have" counted. I'm sure the wind has been knocked out of her sails.

So now every time Mirai has a subpar performance, her ubers are going to blame USFS? I'm sure Mirai isn't blaming USFS for messing up the combo, or her coach either.

Mirai is the one out on the ice, not USFS. She is the one being graded for her performance, and I'm sure she is well aware of that. Maybe her fans ought to be as well.

samson

Medalist
Well from now on I'm blaming El Niño for any of her skating woes. We all know we can point to El Niño.

Nena

Rinkside
I am so happy for Zijun and Haruka. I feel like Haruka doesn't get enough love. Her short program was lovely and it's great to see her finally getting good PCS. I prefer her over Satoko so I hope she becomes more consistent and is Japan's #1 lady if Kanako really retires.