Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Ice Dance - 2014 JR. Russian Championships

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by viviabond View Post
    If you are annoying about D/D's similar height, you should not deny S/Z also has similar height. Bukin has better skating skill than Zhiganshin, also Sinitsina has terrible position as Bobrova.
    sky_fly20 has an issue with skaters height, weight, body shape and sometimes also nationality. I wouldn't take most of what sky_fly20 says seriously. Not point worrying about it because luckily the judges don't agree with sky_fly20.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by hanca View Post
    That may be a good strategy for Vygalova, who will be 15 this year, but Fedorova will be 17, so there is not much point finding a new partner, starting with him from zero (learning new timing on jumps, throw jumps, twists, spins...) and then aging out in a year. I agree that some of the juniors are still not ready for seniors; to be fair, I am not even sure if Tarasova/Morozov and Davankova/Deputat are ready; they do look like senior pairs (more powerful skating and appears that they have gone through the puberty) but I don't think they have the elements that would be expected in seniors within Russia. On the other hand, they do still have eight months till the (next) season starts. A lot can happen within eight months. They all can have suddenly two different triples in their arsenal. Considering how many triples most of Russian juniors ladies have by the age of 13, I can't see why Vygalova, Fedorova, Davankova and Tarasova could not learn two different triples within the next 8 months. And the worse would happen that for a year they won't be competitive; they will be just working on their elements and emerge a season later, as strong seniors.

By the way, where was Denney/Frazier this season after winning last years junior worlds? 5th and 5th at their GP events. Purdy/Marinaro were 8th and 8th at their GP events (after placing 2nd last year at junior worlds). My point is, MOST PAIRS, no matter how strong at juniors, are not ready with the transition to seniors. Usually it takes a while to establish themselves. Both Bazarova & Larionov and Stolbova&Klimov took a few years to start getting results. In fact, I think most of those talented Russian junior teams (the four teams above) won't be competing in the Olympics in 2018 yet. Although by then they will be pretty decent, I think there will be still stronger teams then them who won't be retired and who will beat them at nationals. We will see.
    Fedorova can skate in juniors for three more seasons, she turned 16 only last month. It's clear that she isn't a good jumper. She's always struggled, even on doubles. The idea that in eight months she'll be able to land two kinds of triples is rather farfetched. I'm also skeptical about Vigalova (though I do think Vigalova is great in many respects). You shouldn't expect pair girls to have the same rapid jumping success as the ones who stay in singles. Girls typically go into pairs if jumping is not their strength.

Anyway, I never said that triple jumps are a guarantee of senior success, just that they're a prerequisite. So, my point is, don't expect the Russian juniors to sweep aside current seniors who are inconsistent, like M/R. Right now there are only two junior pairs with the technical goods to be able to move up to seniors (and they're not guaranteed to be successful either, as you pointed out.)

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by cassiem View Post
    Anyway, I never said that triple jumps are a guarantee of senior success, just that they're a prerequisite. So, my point is, don't expect the Russian juniors to sweep aside current seniors who are inconsistent, like M/R. Right now there are only two junior pairs with the technical goods to be able to move up to seniors (and they're not guaranteed to be successful either, as you pointed out.)
    In some aspect I am expecting the current junior pairs to sweep aside current seniors that are inconsistent. I obviously don't think that they would be able to kick Volosozhar/Trankov, Stolbova/Klimov or Bazarova/Larionov (or Kavaguti/Smirnov when or if they return) off their spot at the Europeans/Worlds next season, neither I think that they will catch up on Antipova/Maisuradze who improved a lot in the last year. But on the other hand you have to realise that it is Russian Federation that is submitting names for GP events. If three current junior pairs (V/Z, F/M and D/D) managed to beat Gerboldt/Enbert at Russian nationals, what do you think are the chances that the Russian Federation will submit G/E for GP event? Unfortunately Martiusheva/Rogonov did not compete at the nationals, but if they are going to be beaten at Russian internal competitions by current juniors (and I can imagine it happening), they are not going to be submitted either. Federation has the power to choose who will be submitted for events.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3