Oksana Baiul Isn't The Brightest Bulb On The Chandelier | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Oksana Baiul Isn't The Brightest Bulb On The Chandelier

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
berthes ghost said:
]I'm sorry, I must be confused.

As far as I know, she moved to the US at 16, and has lived here for the past decade, never living, even for a small amount of time, in any other country.

Why on earth would anyone suppose that Oksana's dating experience would be from any other culture than the US?
The question was not just about "dating", but about overall culture. I came to this country at the age of 12. I graduated from college here, I work with Americans, etc. I am more American than I am Russian. At the same time, some of the questions on Family Feud totally confound me, especially questions that have to do with children.

RealtorGal

Record Breaker
Mr. RG has lived in the U.S. for 15 years, speaks perfect English, holds a masters degree in computer science earned in the U.S., has taught college here, has totally integrated into American life, and is, in general, one smart cookie... HOWEVER, many U.S. culturally-based questions would just fly right over his head. Some things are just so ingrained in our culture that we take them for granted.

That said, I did not see the show last evening, but I'm really hesitant to label anyone who did not grow up here as "dim" for being unable to quickly and under pressure answer anything so related to our culture.

Last edited:

jesslily

Final Flight
There is a big difference a 12 year old and a 16 year old. A few elite skaters started skating at 12 and evantally compete at national and world level, such as Johnny Weir and Matt Lind. But I haven't heard of any skater who started at 16 becoming a top skater. And when you came here as regular 12 year old you were more motivated to learn English and culture to survive. But when Oksana came here with OGM and celebrity status, she did not need to study hard to make living.

As for Misha, Kirkland in her book laughed at his English million times. After over 30 years I still dougt Misha can do the Family Feud show. Believe me I like his dance as well as Oksana's skating very much.

Jennifer Lyon

On the Ice
Another factor to consider is that Oksana's experiences in America are largely confined to the skating world. I think this was where many of her answers came from (i.e. couples fight in hotels, people catch their skating partners-- this is part of the world she lives in). Oksana wasn't the only one who gave "skating world" answers to "real world" questions. The "airport" answer is another example. These folks just live a different lifestyle than the average American.

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
First of all give poor little Oksana a break! English is not an easy language to learn and no doubt she was nervous as someone pointed out. If she were asked the questions in her language, no doubt her answers would have flowed.

I was a little amused by this quote:

English is also Katarina Witt and David Pelletier's second language

David Pelletier was born and raised in Canada. Canada is an English speaking country. Even the Quebecois (most of them) speak some English. Canada is supposed to be a bilingual country, but French is basically spoken in Quebec. No doubt, David is fluent in both languages.

IDLERACER

Medalist
Well, everyone improved a little this evening. At least no one attempted to rhyme "Whoops" with "Bump." :laugh: I noticed that John Zimmerman was replaced with Alexei Yagudin. I wonder if they're going to replace Todd Eldredge with Todd Sand tomorrow. It looks weird, matching Jenni Meno up with the wrong Todd.

STL_Blues_fan

Final Flight
Just wanted to throw my 2 cents in. I don't think language has anything to this with this. It's all how much TV you watch, celebrity magazines you watch, etc...

My husband is from UK and came to US at a tender age of 21 . I assure you he is very smart and knows every question to Jeopardy and Who wants to be a millionare - as long as they have to do with "basic knowledge". However, since he does not watch any regular TV, hates celebrity gossip, etc... he never has a clue about any cultural references kind of questions.

English is his first language, go figure.

Yana

PS - English is not my 1st language, and I did grow up in a tight Russian-speaking community, but I do very well in american culture - based trivia.

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
SOI on Family Feud

What I really appreciate about Oksana is that she is able to laugh at herself. She is so expressive and has such a beautiful smile. At least she has an excuse for not being able to undersand and speak the language. I look at some of our football players and they don't speak the language either. There's no excuse for that.

The women really kicked butt yesterday, even used some strategies and won the match.

Yes, they replaced John with Alexei, by the way was there anyone else on the show?:laugh: :laugh:

Dee

John King

Final Flight
Day 2 on Family Feud......

Saw Oksana,perhaps her nerves eased up,'cause she came through.She's no dummy,it was just one of those awkward moments.

Grgranny

Da' Spellin' Homegirl
I'm really kicking myself. Monday, I forgot. Tues, I forgot to put a tape in. Today, I taped the wrong channel. Hopefully, I have it right for tomorrow.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
go to uproar.com and play the Family Feud Game... it's downright HARD

Dee4707

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Day 3 Family Feud

Todd Sands took Alexei’s & John’s place at the end of the line. It was interesting that he wasn’t matched up with his wife, Jenni. Todd E. was still paired up with Jenni.

First round: "What is something guys think they need to get lots of women?"--Kurt was joking and said "hair." The host asked "you're going with hair?" and Kurt responded "no”, I haven't been going with hair for a long time!" The SOI cast just cracked up. He ended up answering car. The guys eventually struck out, so it went to the women and they said "hair," it was on the board, and the ladies stole the points The next question was---When it's the middle of the night, tell me an activity you try to do quietly -- Oksana answered "swim", which was not on the board. Kurt answered, "Go to the bathroom," and it was the #1 answer. The men trying to use strategy passed to the women and the women struck out, it went back to the men and they answered "lovemaking" and stole the points. Next question --Name a place you don't want your cell phone to start ringing.--The women got to play, but they struck out. Oksana said "interview," which was not there, but the guys stole with "at work" and the actual answer on the board was Meeting/job. Next question --Name a sport where people and animals team up--the men got it and answered horse racing and a rodeo, but struck out. The women got the points by answering with polo.
Since neither team had 300 points, which is what they need to play the final round, the men and women had to go to a tiebreaker! Todd and Kyoko had to buzz in to get the top answer for this question -- Name things people chew. Kyoko answered "gum." So the women won again!
Final round: Jenni and Jamie. First question -- If you could have any month off from work, which would it be; A product that you buy for your bathroom; Something you find on a fast food burger; Something people do with a ball"; Name a type of ticket. Jamie didn’t get enough points with her answers and they only got a total of 149 points and at $5 a point they made--only $745 for the Boys and Girls club on this show.

Dee

IDLERACER

Medalist
I wonder who's going to occupy that revolving 5th slot on the men's team this evening. Is anyone left?

berthes ghost

Final Flight
When it's the middle of the night, tell me an activity you try to do quietly -- Oksana answered "swim"

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Dee4707

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I really think Oksana isn't understanding the game. After she responded to swim, she said that's what I do at night. She doesn't understand that she has to answer hopefully like the majority of people who responded to the question.

Dee

berthes ghost

Final Flight
Perhaps another theory to add to the list (not her native tongue, hangs out with only other Russians,etc...) :

In his last book, Toller writes that he felt Dorothy Hamil moved in a sort of protective bubble of stardom that kept her from understanding the real world that most of us live in. Perhaps Oksana lives in such a world.

Oreo

On the Ice
I find it fascinating that out of three pages on this topic only six posts were free of grammar, spelling, and punctuation errors. I can't imagine how any of us would do under pressure in front of the TV cameras. :laugh: