Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Oksana Baiul Isn't The Brightest Bulb On The Chandelier

Custom Title
    Originally posted by berthes ghost
    After 10 years (the ten years in question being as a developing young adult when learning is usually swifter and at an age when most of us are learning cultural habits in our native countries anyways), excuses like 'second language' and 'not familiar with culture' are kinda lame. She's not a clueless old grandma fresh off the boat, and it's US culture (which is pretty familar world wide) not outdated habits from an anchient culture.

Not everyone is good at games. That's all.
    I think it all comes down to how much you atually "embrace" the culture of the foreign country you're living in. If you stick to interaction with people that aren't natives from that country, it doesn't really matter how many years have passed. I'm from Portugal and I have family who emigratted to different countries of the World and while my cousins who went to the US 10 years ago are now "americanized", my other uncle who went to France and has been there with his family for over 20 years speaks French rather badly and doesn't interact with French people at all since he lives in a community with mostly Portuguese people. It's not as easy as it seems to "absorb" other people's cultures.

I wouldn't doubt it happens with Oksana too, given the large community of Russian and Ukrainian people in skating. Yeah, but if you're not good at games either, doesn't matter where you come from.

Minusaramadad from Arctaroon John King's Avatar

Family Feud

The day,or rather,week,is young.Let's see how she fares before writing her off.

On the Ice
    I'm sorry, I must be confused.

As far as I know, she moved to the US at 16, and has lived here for the past decade, never living, even for a small amount of time, in any other country.

Why on earth would anyone suppose that Oksana's dating experience would be from any other culture than the US?

After 10 years (the ten years in question being as a developing young adult when learning is usually swifter and at an age when most of us are learning cultural habits in our native countries anyways), excuses like 'second language' and 'not familiar with culture' are kinda lame. She's not a clueless old grandma fresh off the boat, and it's US culture (which is pretty familar world wide) not outdated habits from an anchient culture.

Not everyone is good at games. That's all.
    Had to reply. How many "sub-cultures" can you find in the US? Also there are also regional culture differences as well as generational cultural gaps/differences.

It doesn't matter how long one has been in a country but what the person has been exposed to and be confortable with. Consider this. I'm going back to school for "a learning experience" on courses I've avoided when younger. Had a classmate who used the "new" method of greeting with the hand gyrations; invaribly, I would just do a handshake as my auto-response and afterwards felt I did the wrong thing again!

MTV, rock. rap, etc. I am definitely not familiar with the sub-culture regarding those & wouldn't be comfortable or answere any questions about them.

Ice Angel
    How well a new immigrant speak English can exactly tell where her English level is. From how David, Katarina, and Oksana speaked you can see obviously David and Katarina are much better off. The first 16 years competely sets up one person's culture and language. The next 30 or 50 years life in US won't change you much. Even though Oksana has been living in US since shortly after she won Olympic Gold, she still mainly associate with Russions. Her fiance is a Russion. One article mensioned that he came to USA when he was 5, and Oksana feels very comfortable staying at his parents' house.

Originally posted by jesslily
    Even though Oksana has been living in US since shortly after she won Olympic Gold, she still mainly associate with Russions. Her fiance is a Russion. One article mensioned that he came to USA when he was 5, and Oksana feels very comfortable staying at his parents' house.
    If you've read Gelsey Kirkland's book on her life with Mischa Barishnikov it would seem whenever they went out there would always be Russians with them. And yes the conversation was totlaly in Russian and Gelsey just sat there. When he was ofered movies, Mischa learned English as fast as possible.

At least Oksana's boyfriend can converse with her and that's all that matters.

Joe

]I'm sorry, I must be confused.

As far as I know, she moved to the US at 16, and has lived here for the past decade, never living, even for a small amount of time, in any other country.

Why on earth would anyone suppose that Oksana's dating experience would be from any other culture than the US?
    The question was not just about "dating", but about overall culture. I came to this country at the age of 12. I graduated from college here, I work with Americans, etc. I am more American than I am Russian. At the same time, some of the questions on Family Feud totally confound me, especially questions that have to do with children.

Lightbulb

Mr. RG has lived in the U.S. for 15 years, speaks perfect English, holds a masters degree in computer science earned in the U.S., has taught college here, has totally integrated into American life, and is, in general, one smart cookie... HOWEVER, many U.S. culturally-based questions would just fly right over his head. Some things are just so ingrained in our culture that we take them for granted.

That said, I did not see the show last evening, but I'm really hesitant to label anyone who did not grow up here as "dim" for being unable to quickly and under pressure answer anything so related to our culture.
    Last edited by RealtorGal; 02-17-2004 at 08:26 PM.

Ice Angel
    There is a big difference a 12 year old and a 16 year old. A few elite skaters started skating at 12 and evantally compete at national and world level, such as Johnny Weir and Matt Lind. But I haven't heard of any skater who started at 16 becoming a top skater. And when you came here as regular 12 year old you were more motivated to learn English and culture to survive. But when Oksana came here with OGM and celebrity status, she did not need to study hard to make living.

As for Misha, Kirkland in her book laughed at his English million times. After over 30 years I still dougt Misha can do the Family Feud show. Believe me I like his dance as well as Oksana's skating very much.

Tripping on the Podium Jennifer Lyon's Avatar
    Another factor to consider is that Oksana's experiences in America are largely confined to the skating world. I think this was where many of her answers came from (i.e. couples fight in hotels, people catch their skating partners-- this is part of the world she lives in). Oksana wasn't the only one who gave "skating world" answers to "real world" questions. The "airport" answer is another example. These folks just live a different lifestyle than the average American.

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~ Ladskater's Avatar
    First of all give poor little Oksana a break! English is not an easy language to learn and no doubt she was nervous as someone pointed out. If she were asked the questions in her language, no doubt her answers would have flowed.

I was a little amused by this quote:

English is also Katarina Witt and David Pelletier's second language
    David Pelletier was born and raised in Canada. Canada is an English speaking country. Even the Quebecois (most of them) speak some English. Canada is supposed to be a bilingual country, but French is basically spoken in Quebec. No doubt, David is fluent in both languages.

Well, everyone improved a little this evening. At least no one attempted to rhyme "Whoops" with "Bump." I noticed that John Zimmerman was replaced with Alexei Yagudin. I wonder if they're going to replace Todd Eldredge with Todd Sand tomorrow. It looks weird, matching Jenni Meno up with the wrong Todd.

Custom Title
    Just wanted to throw my 2 cents in. I don't think language has anything to this with this. It's all how much TV you watch, celebrity magazines you watch, etc...

My husband is from UK and came to US at a tender age of 21 . I assure you he is very smart and knows every question to Jeopardy and Who wants to be a millionare - as long as they have to do with "basic knowledge". However, since he does not watch any regular TV, hates celebrity gossip, etc... he never has a clue about any cultural references kind of questions.

English is his first language, go figure.

Yana

PS - English is not my 1st language, and I did grow up in a tight Russian-speaking community, but I do very well in american culture - based trivia.

Ice Angel
    Ladskater, the paragraph you talked about David Pelletier is what I intended to say.

Figure Skating Is A Dangerous Sport Dee4707's Avatar

SOI on Family Feud

What I really appreciate about Oksana is that she is able to laugh at herself. She is so expressive and has such a beautiful smile. At least she has an excuse for not being able to undersand and speak the language. I look at some of our football players and they don't speak the language either. There's no excuse for that.

The women really kicked butt yesterday, even used some strategies and won the match.

Yes, they replaced John with Alexei, by the way was there anyone else on the show?

Dee

Minusaramadad from Arctaroon John King's Avatar

Day 2 on Family Feud......

Saw Oksana,perhaps her nerves eased up,'cause she came through.She's no dummy,it was just one of those awkward moments.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast