Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Gold goes for the Gold

Down With It
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post
    So, Gracie thinks she will be skating the long program in the team event. I wonder if theU SFSA has already had conversations with the skaters about that.
    At this stage I think that's a good, strategic move - she SHOULD do the FS. She's best equipped to do it at this point in time.

Her best shot at a medal comes in the team event, I would think. I still think Yuna Kim/Russians/Japanese have the individual ones on virtual lockdown. (I HOPE to be proven wrong!!)

Custom Title
    Gracie ought to skate the SP (in addition to the FS) in the team event because her 3/3 is more consistent than Ashley's and more difficult.

The pearls she is wearing in that video are just awful.

Down With It
    Question: For the team event, who gets the medals? The entire country's team, or just the skaters that participate?

Custom Title
    Please no. It'd be worse than Hughes winning.

Custom Title
    It's interesting that Gracie said she wants to do the FS. Maybe that's her way (and Frank's) of getting herself prepared for the Olympics. It would be great for her confidence and for her reputation if the judges could see her do a strong FS on Olympic ice only 2 weeks before the ladies' event. She's struggled in the free skate so far this year (with the exception of Nationals), so this might be the best practice she can get.

Honestly, I thought the USFSA would get Gracie to do the short and Ashley to do the long. Ashley is generally the more consistent long program skater and Gracie has the highest SP score of any US lady this season. But after Ashley's Nationals fiasco and Gracie's win, I bet Gracie will have a much bigger say. I do hope the USFSA varies the competitors as much as possible- it'd be great to have as many competitors win medals as the rules allow.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by flying camel View Post
    I think Gracie should do the LP.
    I was not digging the pearls. Seems like she borrowed them from mom.
    I was thinking Grandma. Plenty of people my age and younger that I know have kids Gracie's age. And I am here to say that those pearls would make me feel old.

Ashley and Polina are at home training. There is an advantage to not winning Nationals before the Olympics.

Miserere Nobis
    Gracie is so well-spoken and gracious (pardon the pun) in the video. She only said that she would LIKE to do the FS in the team event; personally, I agree with those who've said that Ashley should do the short and Gracie should do the long. That way, the wealth is spread as much as possible and neither girl is faced with the pressure of being solely responsible for their team's scores. And I like the pearls. They might be old-fashioned, but they're still charming.

Since the USFS is holding their pre-Olympic media summit this week, it seems like all of the athletes are taking some time out of training. Plus, Frank Carroll is in Taipei with Denis Ten this week -- does anyone know who's coaching Gracie in his absence?

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckm View Post
    IMO Gracie isn't going to medal but it is fine for her to have the podium as a goal. She will get there, if not in Sochi.
    It's fine for her to have a goal of winning a medal at the Olympics. But to state that her chances are as good as any skater's chances? That's completely delusional and indicates that she has an overinflated opinion of the quality of her skating. Yuna, Mao, the Russians, etc. are all better skaters and have much better shots of winning a medal than Gracie, whose only accomplishment as a senior skater is a single US title. She seems to have absolutely no sense of humility, considering those unbearably arrogant fluff pieces NBC ran about her at Nationals and her recent statement.

Quote Originally Posted by Selene View Post
    It's fine for her to have a goal of winning a medal at the Olympics. But to state that her chances are as good as any skater's chances? That's completely delusional and indicates that she has an overinflated opinion of the quality of her skating. Yuna, Mao, the Russians, etc. are all better skaters and have much better shots of winning a medal than Gracie, whose only accomplishment as a senior skater is a single US title. She seems to have absolutely no sense of humility, considering those unbearably arrogant fluff pieces NBC ran about her at Nationals and her recent statement.
    I aree, I think she can be arrogant at times. It is true however she has as good of a chance as anyone. You never know what could happen. The top favorites could make mistakes you just never know. She shouldn't just say: "I have no chances to medal" and rule herself out like that. But yes it's unlikely she'll medal.

Kind of liked the pearls and I'm no grandma yet. The classy look is refreshing as opposed to what I see on tv sometimes by others her age.

As far as the team, I think it would be smartest to have Gracie do the FS. Can't believe I'm saying that after the GP season she has had, but Ashley has had a few bad FS skates this year and with the new program it's risky. However, it's be nice for Ashley to do her S&D FS before the individual round, but it'd mostly be nice for her and not the team.

skating philosopher
    That interview, if I were to guess, was likely done while she was in NYC shortly after Nationals (when she skated on the Today show -- I think it was the Monday after Nationals), the WSJ offices are right down the street from 30 Rock, so it would have been a quick-and-easy interview for Gracie.

So it's not like she had a huge interruption in her training to do this interview. Jay Leno is in Burbank, I think, so that wouldn't have been a huge interruption either.

In fact, Jason Brown would likely have the greatest amount of time away from training (though not that long) for a media appearance since he will be flying from Colorado Springs to Los Angeles on Friday to appear on Arsenio Hall's show (and I think he's doing a few other interviews while he's in the area).

Of course she has to be positive and say that she has a good chance. That's the mentality of a champion, whether or not everyone else thinks it's realistic. Look at Polina Edmunds. Seems like she and her mom have had this plan of her going to Sochi since she was very young, and she always believed she would get there, but did anyone else ever think she had even an outside shot of making it?

Gracie's use of the phrase "as good as anyone's chances" seemed more like a general statement, along the lines of "ice is slippery, anything can happen," especially in a conversation with someone without a deep knowledge of figure skating. Of course she doesn't actually believe that every single skater going to the Olympics has the same equal chance of winning/medaling and she wasn't going to break down her chances against the Russians, Yu-Na, Mao, etc. right then and there. She acknowledged that there are the veterans (past OGM and OSM) and the newcomers and even put herself on the side of the newcomers. Absolutely nothing she has said or done so far has been "completely delusional," rather she has been poised and optimistic in all her interviews.

With regard to a "sense of humility," I watched a bunch of the press conferences from Nationals, and compared to Gracie and Polina, I noticed that Mirai was significantly less confident, even though she's the one with the most international experience and success. She kept going on about "I haven't always been the most consistent skater, but under pressure, I think I've gotten the job done... most of the time..." As if reminding the USFSA about her past sub-par seasons was going to help her case. She could have insisted on putting the past behind her and concentrating on the upward trend in her last two competitions where she skated cleanly, but instead her whole attitude was "Oh I hope they pick me, I hope I've done enough" whereas Polina distinctly downplayed her lack of experience and said "This is the night that we had to prove ourselves, and I did that." I know people love Mirai for her candidness, honesty, and her charm, but really, humility did her no favors in this case. How is the federation supposed to have faith in you when you don't even have faith in yourself?

Down With It
    It's fine for her to have a goal of winning a medal at the Olympics. But to state that her chances are as good as any skater's chances? That's completely delusional and indicates that she has an overinflated opinion of the quality of her skating.
    Nah...actually, I happen to agree with her here. It IS open field, dependent on who shows up that night. I don't think folks should underestimate what Gold is capable of...

Reminds me of when Wagner said the 2012 title was hers to lose. Well, like her or not, she turned out to be right...

I agree I was a little disappointed in how Mirai handled that press conference question. It's not like Mirai has had a bunch of disastrous programs. Usually it's just a spin she has messed up or a fall. So she really isn't as inconsistent as some say. She just hasn't been a superstar like many have hoped. She should have just said she's been consistent when it counted and that's it.

Custom Title
    It's fine for her to have a goal of winning a medal at the Olympics. But to state that her chances are as good as any skater's chances? That's completely delusional and indicates that she has an overinflated opinion of the quality of her skating.
    You're right, she should have said "My chances of medalling are slim to none, shall we go on with this interview?"

Banned
    To Gracie,
    my dear, time to focus on your training. Enough with media.

BTW, I am a bit more optimistic about Gracie, though I was first very skeptical about her podium. Gracie can be a very attractive commodity to international judges. What she has that which lacks in the Russian darlings are speed, power, adherence to the basic, and physiological balance. Now judges appear to have temporarily bent to Julia, their tolerance is unsustainable unless Julia is soon able to shed off her junior skating. In post Kim-Asada, it will be between Adelina and Gracie; with Polina who will join the rank sooner than later; I was impressed by her jump, despite shaky sometimes. best quality in the lot. Well trained. In Sochi, all Gracie has to do is land triples and demonstrate her potential to represent the ladies figure skating. Judges will love her and Polina.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast