Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 82

Thread: Gold goes for the Gold

  1. #31
    Custom Title Sasha'sSpins's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    757
    Quote Originally Posted by R.D. View Post
    Question: For the team event, who gets the medals? The entire country's team, or just the skaters that participate?
    I've been wondering about this too.

    Quote Originally Posted by Mrs. P View Post
    That interview, if I were to guess, was likely done while she was in NYC shortly after Nationals (when she skated on the Today show -- I think it was the Monday after Nationals), the WSJ offices are right down the street from 30 Rock, so it would have been a quick-and-easy interview for Gracie.

    So it's not like she had a huge interruption in her training to do this interview. Jay Leno is in Burbank, I think, so that wouldn't have been a huge interruption either.

    In fact, Jason Brown would likely have the greatest amount of time away from training (though not that long) for a media appearance since he will be flying from Colorado Springs to Los Angeles on Friday to appear on Arsenio Hall's show (and I think he's doing a few other interviews while he's in the area).
    It is interesting that only Gracie and Jason seemed to have gotten high-profile interview gigs so far since Nationals (Leno being the biggest). Or did I miss anyone else?

  2. #32
    Celebrating the Excellence of #VirtueMoir golden411's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    4,663
    Quote Originally Posted by R.D. View Post
    Question: For the team event, who gets the medals? The entire country's team, or just the skaters that participate?
    99% sure, IIRC, that only the skaters who actually compete in the team event would receive team medals.

  3. #33
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    2,674
    Quote Originally Posted by Sasha'sSpins View Post
    I've been wondering about this too.



    It is interesting that only Gracie and Jason seemed to have gotten high-profile interview gigs so far since Nationals (Leno being the biggest). Or did I miss anyone else?
    My understanding it is just those who actually compete so a maximum of six indivduals/teams per team. Or six competitor (team or individual depending on the event ie. 2 skaters if it is dance or pairand single for isingles. But you could have w pair teams and w dance teams and one of each the individuals etc. So if you didn't skate no medal.

  4. #34
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    106
    Quote Originally Posted by Selene View Post
    It's fine for her to have a goal of winning a medal at the Olympics. But to state that her chances are as good as any skater's chances? That's completely delusional and indicates that she has an overinflated opinion of the quality of her skating. Yuna, Mao, the Russians, etc. are all better skaters and have much better shots of winning a medal than Gracie, whose only accomplishment as a senior skater is a single US title. She seems to have absolutely no sense of humility, considering those unbearably arrogant fluff pieces NBC ran about her at Nationals and her recent statement.
    Arrogant? Delusional? She's giving a line to the press and putting her best face forward. I'm quite sure her team has a perfectly reasonable understanding of her chances at the Olympics. Would it be better if she came out with the old female-skater adage, "I just want to skate my best and have a good time." God forbid a female should state that she thinks she could actually win. Yeesh.

  5. #35
    Rejoicing in the land of Kwan kwanatic's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    1,454
    I wouldn't worry about her neglecting her training. Don't forget who is captain of the S.S. Gold heading into Sochi. Frank is great about managing skaters. He'll allow Gracie to do interviews as long as it isn't interfering with her training...if it does interfere, he'll drop the hammer. This isn't his first time going to the Olympics with a high profile athlete...he knows what he's doing.

    As for Gracie's chances at a medal, I do think she's behind a fair number of skaters (Yu-Na, Mao, Carolina, both Russians) but it is unlikely everyone will skate their best. If she can put out two programs like she did at nationals, I think she has an outside-outside shot at bronze but I could see her coming in 4th or 5th as long as she skates well. Let's be honest, no one from the US ladies has a good chance at a medal right now; Ashley and Gracie are outside shots at best...Polina can stay in the top 10 if she skates well but the event would have to be a splatfest for her to place in the top 5.

  6. #36
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    2,674
    We really need the olympics to start - less talk and more action lol. but seriously it is possible Gold could win BUT probably she would have to some other big guns falter. I think she is equal or better than the Russians and unlike them she has s urvived puberty. I fear Julia is too `weak`and too poor technicque to survive and ehr artistry is limited though she uses it well with the material she has right now. Gracie is packaged far better and seems far more sophisticated and mature than Julia. Though if Gold is 16 that would be one thing but if she is 18 okay maybe that would explain the maturity differences - I can`t remember how old gold is off the top of my head. But two years ; three years is a lot.

  7. #37
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    1,055
    I think Gracie is 19 - 18 at the youngest. I think it would be very weird if a skater was going into the Olympic competition and not aiming for a gold medal. Why would anyone say "oh, I know I can't win a medal but I'll skate the best I can!" Really? Not in this life and certainly not with Frank Carroll as your coach! IIRC Evan Lysacek was not projected to win the gold in Vancouver - but he did! And without a quad. Anything can happen. I honestly feel if everybody skates clean the bronze medal is up for grabs. If it's a splat-fest, anything can happen. But of the three I think Gracie has the best chance!!! Polina is amazing for her age but she doesn't have the polish! Ashley has the weight of the world on her shoulders at this point and the Mirai lovers putting juju on her......

  8. #38
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    171
    I think Gold and Edmonds will do well in the Olympics. They have the stars lineup for them. And Edmonds will do better than predicted.

  9. #39
    At the rink. Again. mskater93's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    3,191
    Gold is 18

  10. #40
    Miserere Nobis
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Texas Darling
    Posts
    1,529
    Quote Originally Posted by RobinA View Post
    Arrogant? Delusional? She's giving a line to the press and putting her best face forward. I'm quite sure her team has a perfectly reasonable understanding of her chances at the Olympics. Would it be better if she came out with the old female-skater adage, "I just want to skate my best and have a good time." God forbid a female should state that she thinks she could actually win. Yeesh.
    ITA. How dare Gracie truthfully answer the question she was asked? From past experience, I've found that Selene will inevitably find something to criticize -- if Gracie plays the meek and humble ice-princess, she's accused of parroting PR lines from the USFSA; if she's bold about her chances, she's an arrogant narcissist.

    Besides, people forget that she has a pretty good shot at an Olympic medal in the team event. And a medal is a medal.

  11. #41
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    518
    Olympic gold is not likely, but Worlds is a good possibility. Kimmie Miesner did it before.

  12. #42
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    2,674
    Quote Originally Posted by noskates View Post
    I think Gracie is 19 - 18 at the youngest. I think it would be very weird if a skater was going into the Olympic competition and not aiming for a gold medal. Why would anyone say "oh, I know I can't win a medal but I'll skate the best I can!" Really? Not in this life and certainly not with Frank Carroll as your coach! IIRC Evan Lysacek was not projected to win the gold in Vancouver - but he did! And without a quad. Anything can happen. I honestly feel if everybody skates clean the bronze medal is up for grabs. If it's a splat-fest, anything can happen. But of the three I think Gracie has the best chance!!! Polina is amazing for her age but she doesn't have the polish! Ashley has the weight of the world on her shoulders at this point and the Mirai lovers putting juju on her......
    Better Ashley has the weight of the world on her shoulders than on her hips. She will be fin folks; she is tough and she is going to the olympics her dreams are about to happen.

  13. #43
    Custom Title Sasha'sSpins's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    757
    Quote Originally Posted by Skater Boy View Post
    My understanding it is just those who actually compete so a maximum of six indivduals/teams per team. Or six competitor (team or individual depending on the event ie. 2 skaters if it is dance or pairand single for isingles. But you could have w pair teams and w dance teams and one of each the individuals etc. So if you didn't skate no medal.
    Thanks! Still, it's a wonderful opportunity for a skater to win multiple medals for once. I wish they'd give them out for the short program too!

    Quote Originally Posted by kwanatic View Post
    I wouldn't worry about her neglecting her training. Don't forget who is captain of the S.S. Gold heading into Sochi. Frank is great about managing skaters. He'll allow Gracie to do interviews as long as it isn't interfering with her training...if it does interfere, he'll drop the hammer. This isn't his first time going to the Olympics with a high profile athlete...he knows what he's doing.

    As for Gracie's chances at a medal, I do think she's behind a fair number of skaters (Yu-Na, Mao, Carolina, both Russians) but it is unlikely everyone will skate their best. If she can put out two programs like she did at nationals, I think she has an outside-outside shot at bronze but I could see her coming in 4th or 5th as long as she skates well. Let's be honest, no one from the US ladies has a good chance at a medal right now; Ashley and Gracie are outside shots at best...Polina can stay in the top 10 if she skates well but the event would have to be a splatfest for her to place in the top 5.
    I agree about Gracie and Nationals except for the fall she had in the FS at that competition - I keep getting the feeling that the Olympic judges aren't going to hold up skaters to the podium who fall - except for Yuna, Mao and possibly the Russians.

  14. #44
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    276
    Quote Originally Posted by noskates View Post
    I think Gracie is 19 - 18 at the youngest. I think it would be very weird if a skater was going into the Olympic competition and not aiming for a gold medal. Why would anyone say "oh, I know I can't win a medal but I'll skate the best I can!" Really? Not in this life and certainly not with Frank Carroll as your coach! IIRC Evan Lysacek was not projected to win the gold in Vancouver - but he did! And without a quad. Anything can happen. I honestly feel if everybody skates clean the bronze medal is up for grabs. If it's a splat-fest, anything can happen. But of the three I think Gracie has the best chance!!! Polina is amazing for her age but she doesn't have the polish! Ashley has the weight of the world on her shoulders at this point and the Mirai lovers putting juju on her......
    But Lysacek was the reigning world champion. Gold has not yet won any major international competition.

  15. #45
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    212
    Threads like this do my head in.
    Some people need to get over themselves.
    It's wishful thinking rather than being realistic.
    EVERY time a better than average American skater comes through the ranks people try to make out that this person deserves to win based on nothing more than the fact they like them.
    I'm half American & cringe about the US bias towards some athletes.
    Support your favourite skater & wish the best for them-yes.
    But trying to make out they are better than any other skater or wishing other skaters do bad is awful.
    Saying things like "The S.S Gold heading into Sochi" is just making my skin crawl.
    Also putting down Julia's artistry.
    I'm a huge Akiko Suzuki fan but all I can wish for her is two clean programs & hope every other skater also does their best.
    I'm just so tired of the Gold-Hype.
    She has won 1 US title & no major medals in the senior ranks.
    I know I'm going to get a lot of heat for this post but I just hate how some people start threads to make a skater seem better than everyone else.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •