Russian Olympic Team | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Russian Olympic Team

bekalc

Record Breaker
B/S should do team because I/K blow everything and all their chances and now will blow RUssia's chance to win team gold because everyone agrees they don't train properly for a senior ice dance team. I no longer believe Russia will medal in the team event.

B/S are not the pictures of consistency either. Look I/K scored 100 in the free with a fall. I think its worth taking them.

gmyers

Record Breaker
B/S are not the pictures of consistency either. Look I/K scored 100 in the free with a fall. I think its worth taking them.

I don't believe I/K can be trusted at the Olympics. The pressure of Euros was too much. They also lost the SD when they didn't make a mistake. They can't beat C/L clean and they couldn't do the free dance without huge mistakes. It's true that B/S aren't models of consistency either but they train and don't give up when there's a mistake like I/K do. So one mistake for I/K and against US and Canada and Italy or France that's it, Russia goes behind all those teams. Russia basically has no dance team in the event if I/K make a mistake.

bekalc

Record Breaker
I don't believe I/K can be trusted at the Olympics. The pressure of Euros was too much. They also lost the SD when they didn't make a mistake. They can't beat C/L clean and they couldn't do the free dance without huge mistakes. It's true that B/S aren't models of consistency either but they train and don't give up when there's a mistake like I/K do. So one mistake for I/K and against US and Canada and Italy or France that's it, Russia goes behind all those teams. Russia basically has no dance team in the event if I/K make a mistake.

I think the goal is B/S short, I/K free. I/K are normally good for one really good competition, I'm not sure France was it. They will probably actually train hard for the Olympics, and I think they go clean bronze is likely theirs. The judges signaled that when they put them above the French in France.

bramweld

Record Breaker

Well the only way they're going to learn how to cope is actually through experiences like these. Their Canadian contemporaries P/I have had four long years of making catastrophic mistakes both at nationals and on the GP circuit. Finally this year for the first time they're competing outside nationals. They are a beautiful pair. Their is no one model of development that will fit every team.

Amei

Record Breaker
It is what it is. If anything, the Russian men were pretty much slim pickings, so might as well go with the guy who will pull in the buzz/spectators/talkability/popularity, even if he hasn't actually earned it (in a competitive/public forum at least).

Isn't it amazing that the Russian men used to be very deep while the women were extremely slim pickings, now it's the opposite.

Amei

Record Breaker
That's a bit unfair to Adelina, particularly when she's skated some very good short programs (and beat Julia in many short programs) this year. It also makes no sense why they would split up ice dance (obviously pairs is to rest up V/T), and not the ladies.

Except for most of the season Adelina has been hit or miss. I think it's safe to say that Julia is the most consistent at delivering a medal worthy program. All she needs to do in the short is keep it close (Top 5), and that FS (minus Cup of Russia) has aged like wine - it's getting better and better; both the team and individual if she is in the top 5 after the short as long she doesn't do a splatfest she's gonna medal, regardless of what any other skater does, unless Gracie & the other Japanese ladies throw in a triple axel or 2. And for all we know Adelina might be dealing with an injury, and they don't want to announce it, because then people would question why is she going over a healthy Alena.

And if the US ladies team taught us anything- it's not about being fair, it's about who gives the country (in the Fed's mind) the best shot at medals. Maybe the Russian Fed. has realized they maybe have propped Adelina up too much?

gmyers

Record Breaker
I think the goal is B/S short, I/K free. I/K are normally good for one really good competition, I'm not sure France was it. They will probably actually train hard for the Olympics, and I think they go clean bronze is likely theirs. The judges signaled that when they put them above the French in France.

Its possible their one good competition this season was that TEB. It seems like it was. They were clean in the SD at Euros and C/L beat them in that. If they are clean and C/L are clean or W/P or C/B or B/S they will beat I/K.

Well the only way they're going to learn how to cope is actually through experiences like these. Their Canadian contemporaries P/I have had four long years of making catastrophic mistakes both at nationals and on the GP circuit. Finally this year for the first time they're competing outside nationals. They are a beautiful pair. Their is no one model of development that will fit every team.

I am not sure about them learning. When they placed 10th in the FD at the 2013 worlds with extremely low TES they actually appeared at their first GP event doing mostly level 2's.

bekalc

Record Breaker
Its possible their one good competition this season was that TEB. It seems like it was. They were clean in the SD at Euros and C/L beat them in that. If they are clean and C/L are clean or W/P or C/B or B/S they will beat I/K.

I am not sure about them learning. When they placed 10th in the FD at the 2013 worlds with extremely low TES they actually appeared at their first GP event doing mostly level 2's.

I/K nearly won Euros with a fall.

gmyers

Record Breaker
I/K nearly won Euros with a fall.

The winning of Euros without B/S and P/B really doesn't mean anything. They did almost win but if everyone was there they wouldn't have medaled. They couldn't beat C/L without a fall in the SD. That was a judgement by the judges. Two teams doing clean programs and the team with the highest was C/L. If I/K were really good they would've won with the fall. They didn't lose because of the twizzle or fall but the step sequence level being 2.

Ice Dance

Record Breaker
It's a good question. Do they go with the team that defeated the French in the short twice, but lost with mistakes in a free they are no longer skating? Or do they go with a team that lost to the Shibutani's early in the season & the Italians at Europeans w/a fall, but defeated the French in France? Hmm, so . . . I think I&K may be the surprise of the dance competition. Their Swan Lake is stellar. (Their short not-so-much). BUT I think I&K are volatile. At their very best, they MAYBE finish one spot about B/S--in the individual event. Which means . . . Russia might as well go with the proven team in the team event. If I was a team coach (which I'm certainly not), I'd put up that team. The one that got the bronze at Worlds, defeated the French in the short twice, and defeated W&P & C&L at the GPF. I&K have potential. But B&S's result at Worlds last year is the reason Russia is a favorite for bronze in the dance event.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
It's a good question. Do they go with the team that defeated the French in the short twice, but lost with mistakes in a free they are no longer skating? Or do they go with a team that lost to the Shibutani's early in the season & the Italians at Europeans w/a fall, but defeated the French in France? Hmm, so . . . I think I&K may be the surprise of the dance competition. Their Swan Lake is stellar. (Their short not-so-much). BUT I think I&K are volatile. At their very best, they MAYBE finish one spot about B/S--in the individual event. Which means . . . Russia might as well go with the proven team in the team event. If I was a team coach (which I'm certainly not), I'd put up that team. The one that got the bronze at Worlds, defeated the French in the short twice, and defeated W&P & C&L at the GPF. I&K have potential. But B&S's result at Worlds last year is the reason Russia is a favorite for bronze in the dance event.

I thoroughly agree. I still maintain that B&S' bronze last year (compared to I/K's 9th) holds them in much higher regard, even if I/K have vastly improved their skating (just not their consistency). I've remained steadfast in my belief that they will win bronze and be the highest Russian ice dance team in the team and individual events.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Well I am not sure it will make a huge difference in the free skate. One would anticipate USA and Canada ahead of Russia in dance which leaves probably Japan and Italy to compete against in dance. The Japanese are no match and at worst it should be close with the Italians with either Russian team so it isn't the biggest gamble.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Kind of off topic and I considered stating a new thread but decided against it being that there are enough threads to go around now. I just want to point out something that dawned on me today. I usually watch only the Ladies,sometimes the men, and rarely pairs/dance. That said, due to a number of ladies I follow closely, yes there are more than just Julia, I will be tuning in to the entire team event to root my girls on. This likely will expand my interest and understanding as well. So the team event may and likely will help spread interest in more disciplines of FS to others I assume that are like me. Just wanted to point out what I consider a positive aspect to the team event. I've seen it cast in both good and bad light.

Bruin714

On the Ice
I am hoping the surprise and bizarre inclusion of I&K in the Russian team event increases the chances of Weaver & Poje to do the FD now. Especialy since France almost certainly wont make the final, W&P now quite possibly would have been expected to finish in exactly the same spot as V&M would be expected to finish (2nd). Of course V&M could potentially be 1st, and W&P could still be lower than 2nd, but I now have a feeling they are more likely to be used to give V&M more a break for the individual and the avoid the possability of the judges seeing them lose 2 more programs in a row to D&W.

To me, V&M's SD is better than FD. If they pull of a win in the Team SD, a strategy might be to not compete in the Team FD to imprint that win in the judges' mind.

seniorita

Record Breaker
Bazarova/Larionov and Takahashi did not win Nationals. It is hardly *as* unfair. Arguably Murakami was jipped over Mao, but Mao has had a stellar season other than Japanese nationals and is a sensible choice for the team event.

Julia and Adelina are essentially evenly matched (with edge going to Julia at this point), so it wouldn't have been a particularly risky thing to split the team event, particularly with Adelina performing strong SPs in her past few competitions.

I want Julia to perform well in the team event, but between Sotnikova and Kovtun both getting shafted out of competing for a guaranteed medal, I'm so put off by the Russian fed's selections that I'm hoping it all blows up in their face. :rolleye:

There is no rule for the National Champion to skate in Team event, where did you even read that? Countries choose their best combination.
Also I think it is unfair for Reynolds not to have a team event medal, and I prefer to watch him over Chan but I m not wishing team Canada ill. There is no restriction on how you pick your team and afterall Team FS will be announced after the SP. Russians, they would either split Ice Dance or Ladies and they chose Ice Dance, but that is for now.

Last edited:

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
There is no rule for the National Champion to skate in Team event, where did you even read that? Countries choose their best combination.
Also I think it is unfair for Reynolds not to have a team event medal, and I prefer to watch him over Chan but I m not wishing team Canada ill. There is no restriction on how you pick your team and afterall Team FS will be announced after the SP. Russians, they would either split Ice Dance or Ladies and they chose Ice Dance, but that is for now.

Yes, there is no rule. But considering the team event is about putting forth your best, and giving a chance for skaters to earn another medal (at least if you're from Russia/USA/Canada) it's hardly fair to exclude a national champion from the event.

If you prefer to watch Reynolds over Chan, that's fine, but the reality is that Chan is a MUCH higher placement potential - he could win the maximum points for Canada, whereas Reynolds could lose the gold in one fell swoop. Chan messing up would be the equivalent of Reynolds best effort (unless he somehow skates his 4CC LP from last year). Chan's scoring ceiling is about 20 points higher than Reynolds and there are a lot of men in between that, including Machida, Plushenko, Yan (if China makes the final) and even potentially Brown.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
That isnt to mention Gold, but I am not sure which of Julia or Sotnikova is more vurnerable to losing to a clean Gold in the short.

Ashley is skating the SP so it is likely that either Russian would beat her because their 3/3s are far more steady than Ashley's.

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Ashley is skating the SP so it is likely that either Russian would beat her because their 3/3s are far more steady than Ashley's.

Bad move on part of the USFS. Gracie is a much better SP skater and could get a big score to set up Wagner in the LP.

Li'Kitsu

Record Breaker
CanadianSkaterGuy said:
If you prefer to watch Reynolds over Chan, that's fine, but the reality is that Chan is a MUCH higher placement potential - he could win the maximum points for Canada, whereas Reynolds could lose the gold in one fell swoop. Chan messing up would be the equivalent of Reynolds best effort (unless he somehow skates his 4CC LP from last year). Chan's scoring ceiling is about 20 points higher than Reynolds and there are a lot of men in between that, including Machida, Plushenko, Yan (if China makes the final) and even potentially Brown.

Agreed, andKevin could also be beaten by Amodio and maybe Joubert if France makes the LP. As much as I like him, it's not unlikely for him to finish last in the men's event, the only team that could make the top 5 who's man he'd definitly beat is Italy. Chan would very likely win the Team LP. It's not unfair to leave Kevin of the team, he's just not in shape to help and using him might actually cost Canada the gold. Adelina is in good shape to help her team and proved it - especially more than I&K did.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Agreed, andKevin could also be beaten by Amodio and maybe Joubert if France makes the LP. As much as I like him, it's not unlikely for him to finish last in the men's event, the only team that could make the top 5 who's man he'd definitly beat is Italy. Chan would very likely win the Team LP. It's not unfair to leave Kevin of the team, he's just not in shape to help and using him might actually cost Canada the gold. Adelina is in good shape to help her team and proved it - especially more than I&K did.

Precisely. At his best, he does have the *potential* to assist Team Canada, but he hasn't shown that at all this year... hopefully his boot problems are all sorted out. If he costs Canada the gold that could really upset his morale going into the individual event.