Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Russian Olympic Team

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by cinnamon View Post
    But Sasha's leg can't take it. It was known even before this injury...
    they aim to be back for 2014 Worlds, right now Smirnov is doing some jumps still mostly double
    I think they want to end their careers on a high note, wont rule out still competing next season until they win a World medal

Banned
    Russian Team to compete in Team Event has been announced: http://sochi2014.rsport.ru/sochi2014...720142988.html
    I hope Julia wont be overused and get tired by individuals
    Ilinyk / Katsalapov will be doing team event

Men: Evgeni Plushenko
    Ladies: Julia Lipnitskaya
    Pairs: SP Volosozhar/Trankov, LP: Stolbova / Klimov
    Ice Dance: Bobrova / Soloviev SD ?, Ilinykh / Katsalapov FD ?

Size 7 Knife Boots Sam-Skwantch's Avatar
    So does that mean Adelina won't get a medal if Russia gets one in the team event? This is an odd move if you ask me. Was it to prevent friction between the girls, promote Julia, is Adelina injured, are they afraid of coaches fighting, maybe promoting competition between the two as they have all year, or do they think an Olympic medal will calm down Julia for the individuals and let her just skate to her full potential? So many ???'s for me.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam-Skwantch View Post
    So does that mean Adelina won't get a medal if Russia gets one in the team event? This is an odd move if you ask me. Was it to prevent friction between the girls, promote Julia, is Adelina injured, are they afraid of coaches fighting, maybe promoting competition between the two as they have all year, or do they think an Olympic medal will calm down Julia for the individuals and let her just skate to her full potential? So many ???'s for me.
    That's a bit unfair to Adelina, particularly when she's skated some very good short programs (and beat Julia in many short programs) this year. It also makes no sense why they would split up ice dance (obviously pairs is to rest up V/T), and not the ladies.

because of weak BS's free dance, it's obvious

Custom Title
    I hope Adelina get very angry and pours it into her individual performance.

Custom Title
    I think Russia just desperately want to win the OGM in the team event. Adelina is simply not reliable enough for them because of her inconsistency (even for the SP-quite strange, I think she has been consistent at least for SP since she changed her layout, which was why I guessed they would let Adelina do the SP). When Adelina goes clean for the SP she can easily get higher score than Julia's, but when she doesn't... Well, otoh, Julia is such a reliable skater I hope Julia takes advantage of this experience.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by volk View Post
    I hope Adelina get very angry and pours it into her individual performance.
    She should be very angry.

She's Russian champion and doesn't even get a team event entry.

Although, it's pretty apparent that being Russian champion means nothing to the federation these days.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by CanadianSkaterGuy View Post
    She should be very angry.

She's Russian champion and doesn't even get a team event entry.

Although, it's pretty apparent that being Russian champion means nothing to the federation these days.

Custom Title
    That just does not seem fair to Adelina. She should have gotten at least the SP. Julia will probably be worn out by the time the single finals roll around.

leave no stone unturned seniorita's Avatar
    It is as unfair to or Bazarova/Larionov, Murakami or Daisuke someone would have been left out anyway.

Size 7 Knife Boots Sam-Skwantch's Avatar
    I'm angry for Sotnikova but like I eluded to earlier it might be to promote competition between the two. I still think Julia won Nationals and because they propped up Adelina instead, Julia came to the Euros with fire in her eye and nearly duplicated her Nationals score. That's tough to do in front of an international panel.

@antilopa
    What does the weakness of BS's FD have to do with Julia and Adelina's selection? Excuse my ignorance but this event is new to me and I really only follow the ladies .

Is there a limit to how many can enter the event?

Banned
    I also think Sotnikova should have do the SP
    I/K getting FD I agree, B/S have terrible FD and just reverted back their old ones

Forever stuck on those steps Li'Kitsu's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by seniorita
    It is as unfair to or Bazarova/Larionov, Murakami or Daisuke someone would have been left out anyway.
    That's not the same. Daisuke had a pretty bad season and it's even questionable if he deserves to be on the team. Additionally he's probably still recovering from his injury (or still injured) and the only one from the 3 japanese guys who has olympic experince, so it makes sense to send the other 2 guys. Plus, Japan has 3 skaters for 2 skates (SP&LP), while Russia would have 2 skater for 2 events.

I don't get that rooster. IMO, they're not doing themselves any favors. I/K are not reliable enough for the FD, and while Adelina has consistency issues too, the majority of her SPs this season were really good (3 clean, 1 still with 66+ and 1 was a mess), I'd say that's way better than I/K's tract record. Plus, like this Julia has to bear a huge amount of responsibility (Plush is a question mark, I/K are mistake prone), and it's probably mentally more tiring for her than just doing the LP.

Until now, I had Russia as the team gold favorite slightly before Canada, but with this and Scott Moir's approach (which means Chan might be likely to skate both evensts), I think I'll change my mind.

Custom Title
    I'm angry for Sotnikova but like I eluded to earlier it might be to promote competition between the two. I still think Julia won Nationals and because they propped up Adelina instead, Julia came to the Euros with fire in her eye and nearly duplicated her Nationals score. That's tough to do in front of an international panel.

@antilopa
    What does the weakness of BS's FD have to do with Julia and Adelina's selection? Excuse my ignorance but this event is new to me and I really only follow the ladies .

Is there a limit to how many can enter the event?

There's a limit to how many categories can they make a switch between SP/FP (only 2). Bobrova/Soloviev need to test the new FD and V&T need to rest for the finals which are first on schedule, so that leaves no option for ladies and men.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast