Russian Olympic Team | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Russian Olympic Team

volk

Final Flight
I hope Adelina get very angry and pours it into her individual performance.

Elaine

On the Ice
I think Russia just desperately want to win the OGM in the team event. Adelina is simply not reliable enough for them because of her inconsistency (even for the SP-quite strange, I think she has been consistent at least for SP since she changed her layout, which was why I guessed they would let Adelina do the SP). When Adelina goes clean for the SP she can easily get higher score than Julia's, but when she doesn't... Well, otoh, Julia is such a reliable skater:p I hope Julia takes advantage of this experience.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
I hope Adelina get very angry and pours it into her individual performance.

She should be very angry.

She's Russian champion and doesn't even get a team event entry.

Although, it's pretty apparent that being Russian champion means nothing to the federation these days.

flying camel

Medalist
That just does not seem fair to Adelina. She should have gotten at least the SP. Julia will probably be worn out by the time the single finals roll around.

seniorita

Record Breaker
It is as unfair to or Bazarova/Larionov, Murakami or Daisuke someone would have been left out anyway.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I'm angry for Sotnikova but like I eluded to earlier it might be to promote competition between the two. I still think Julia won Nationals and because they propped up Adelina instead, Julia came to the Euros with fire in her eye and nearly duplicated her Nationals score. That's tough to do in front of an international panel.

@antilopa
What does the weakness of BS's FD have to do with Julia and Adelina's selection? Excuse my ignorance but this event is new to me and I really only follow the ladies . :slink:

Is there a limit to how many can enter the event?

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
I also think Sotnikova should have do the SP
I/K getting FD I agree, B/S have terrible FD and just reverted back their old ones

Li'Kitsu

Record Breaker
seniorita said:
It is as unfair to or Bazarova/Larionov, Murakami or Daisuke someone would have been left out anyway.

That's not the same. Daisuke had a pretty bad season and it's even questionable if he deserves to be on the team. Additionally he's probably still recovering from his injury (or still injured) and the only one from the 3 japanese guys who has olympic experince, so it makes sense to send the other 2 guys. Plus, Japan has 3 skaters for 2 skates (SP&LP), while Russia would have 2 skater for 2 events.

I don't get that rooster. IMO, they're not doing themselves any favors. I/K are not reliable enough for the FD, and while Adelina has consistency issues too, the majority of her SPs this season were really good (3 clean, 1 still with 66+ and 1 was a mess), I'd say that's way better than I/K's tract record. Plus, like this Julia has to bear a huge amount of responsibility (Plush is a question mark, I/K are mistake prone), and it's probably mentally more tiring for her than just doing the LP.

Until now, I had Russia as the team gold favorite slightly before Canada, but with this and Scott Moir's approach (which means Chan might be likely to skate both evensts), I think I'll change my mind.

SamuraiKike

Medalist
I'm angry for Sotnikova but like I eluded to earlier it might be to promote competition between the two. I still think Julia won Nationals and because they propped up Adelina instead, Julia came to the Euros with fire in her eye and nearly duplicated her Nationals score. That's tough to do in front of an international panel.

@antilopa
What does the weakness of BS's FD have to do with Julia and Adelina's selection? Excuse my ignorance but this event is new to me and I really only follow the ladies . :slink:

There's a limit to how many categories can they make a switch between SP/FP (only 2). Bobrova/Soloviev need to test the new FD and V&T need to rest for the finals which are first on schedule, so that leaves no option for ladies and men.

Li'Kitsu

Record Breaker

Yes. Teams are just allowed to change entries in up to 2 disciplines. So if they already switch in pairs, they can't switch in both Ladies and Ice dance.

I still think switching in Ladies would have made more sense. B/S have a horrible FD, but it didn't keep them from getting high marks.

Sam-Skwantch

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Thanks!!! I figured I had to be missing something.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker

Bazarova/Larionov and Takahashi did not win Nationals. It is hardly *as* unfair. Arguably Murakami was jipped over Mao, but Mao has had a stellar season other than Japanese nationals and is a sensible choice for the team event.

Julia and Adelina are essentially evenly matched (with edge going to Julia at this point), so it wouldn't have been a particularly risky thing to split the team event, particularly with Adelina performing strong SPs in her past few competitions.

I want Julia to perform well in the team event, but between Sotnikova and Kovtun both getting shafted out of competing for a guaranteed medal, I'm so put off by the Russian fed's selections that I'm hoping it all blows up in their face. :rolleye:

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Yes. Teams are just allowed to change entries in up to 2 disciplines. So if they already switch in pairs, they can't switch in both Ladies and Ice dance.

I still think switching in Ladies would have made more sense. B/S have a horrible FD, but it didn't keep them from getting high marks.

Thanks for the clarification. I didn't know this! Although I totally agree that it would have made way more sense to have Sotnikova/Lipnitskaia and B&S.

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
Bazarova/Larionov and Takahashi did not win Nationals. It is hardly *as* unfair. Arguably Murakami was jipped over Mao, but Mao has had a stellar season other than Japanese nationals and is a sensible choice for the team event.

Julia and Adelina are essentially evenly matched (with edge going to Julia at this point), so it wouldn't have been a particularly risky thing to split the team event, particularly with Adelina performing strong SPs in her past few competitions.

I want Julia to perform well in the team event, but between Sotnikova and Kovtun both getting shafted out of competing for a guaranteed medal, I'm so put off by the Russian fed's selections that I'm hoping it all blows up in their face. :rolleye:

Canada
will skate with V&M, Chan and Osmond all in one
so your problem is ?

Sam-Skwantch

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I get to watch Julia skate her programs twice!! :yay:

Edit-Maybe :confused2:

Last edited:

Li'Kitsu

Record Breaker
CanadianSkaterGuy said:
I want Julia to perform well in the team event, but between Sotnikova and Kovtun both getting shafted out of competing for a guaranteed medal, I'm so put off by the Russian fed's selections that I'm hoping it all blows up in their face.

If Patrick skates both events, then chances of that happening are pretty good. I'm more of a Adelina fan, but I really started to like Julia too this season, so I want both of them to do well. This decision sucks on behalf of both of them, one is being left of, one has to handle all the pressure alone. Julia has nerves of steel, but she's human and can falter like everyone else. I really hope she'll be fit and ready for the individual event no matter what happens before.

Sam-Skwantch

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
My translator said "first Julia to arrive and later Sotnikova". That seems odd if in fact Adelina were to skate first. Guess we'll just have to wait and see.