Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Russian Olympic Team

Forever stuck on those steps Li'Kitsu's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam-Skwantch View Post
    Is there a limit to how many can enter the event?
    Yes. Teams are just allowed to change entries in up to 2 disciplines. So if they already switch in pairs, they can't switch in both Ladies and Ice dance.

I still think switching in Ladies would have made more sense. B/S have a horrible FD, but it didn't keep them from getting high marks.

Size 7 Knife Boots Sam-Skwantch's Avatar
    Thanks!!! I figured I had to be missing something.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by seniorita View Post
    It is as unfair to or Bazarova/Larionov, Murakami or Daisuke someone would have been left out anyway.
    Bazarova/Larionov and Takahashi did not win Nationals. It is hardly *as* unfair. Arguably Murakami was jipped over Mao, but Mao has had a stellar season other than Japanese nationals and is a sensible choice for the team event.

Julia and Adelina are essentially evenly matched (with edge going to Julia at this point), so it wouldn't have been a particularly risky thing to split the team event, particularly with Adelina performing strong SPs in her past few competitions.

I want Julia to perform well in the team event, but between Sotnikova and Kovtun both getting shafted out of competing for a guaranteed medal, I'm so put off by the Russian fed's selections that I'm hoping it all blows up in their face.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Li'Kitsu View Post
    Yes. Teams are just allowed to change entries in up to 2 disciplines. So if they already switch in pairs, they can't switch in both Ladies and Ice dance.

I still think switching in Ladies would have made more sense. B/S have a horrible FD, but it didn't keep them from getting high marks.
    Thanks for the clarification. I didn't know this! Although I totally agree that it would have made way more sense to have Sotnikova/Lipnitskaia and B&S.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by CanadianSkaterGuy View Post
    Bazarova/Larionov and Takahashi did not win Nationals. It is hardly *as* unfair. Arguably Murakami was jipped over Mao, but Mao has had a stellar season other than Japanese nationals and is a sensible choice for the team event.

Julia and Adelina are essentially evenly matched (with edge going to Julia at this point), so it wouldn't have been a particularly risky thing to split the team event, particularly with Adelina performing strong SPs in her past few competitions.

I want Julia to perform well in the team event, but between Sotnikova and Kovtun both getting shafted out of competing for a guaranteed medal, I'm so put off by the Russian fed's selections that I'm hoping it all blows up in their face.
    Canada
    will skate with V&M, Chan and Osmond all in one
    so your problem is ?

I get to watch Julia skate her programs twice!!

Edit-Maybe
    Last edited by Sam-Skwantch; 02-03-2014 at 02:27 PM. Reason: Confusion

Quote Originally Posted by CanadianSkaterGuy
    If Patrick skates both events, then chances of that happening are pretty good. I'm more of a Adelina fan, but I really started to like Julia too this season, so I want both of them to do well. This decision sucks on behalf of both of them, one is being left of, one has to handle all the pressure alone. Julia has nerves of steel, but she's human and can falter like everyone else. I really hope she'll be fit and ready for the individual event no matter what happens before.

Banned
    new update: http://www.team-russia2014.ru/article/figur/14788.html

Gorshkov - only Plushenko and V/T are guaranteed to do the SP

so I assume Sotnikova will skate in team event after all
    maybe SP ? she can score really well in SP if clean

My translator said "first Julia to arrive and later Sotnikova". That seems odd if in fact Adelina were to skate first. Guess we'll just have to wait and see.

Hopefully at least the skaters know who will skate what

Tripping on the Podium
    The decision to bench Sotnikova in the team event is absolutely baffling. She has beaten Lipnitskaia in the short program in each of their last three head-to-head competitions. I think she has clearly earned a chance to skate the short program here. Let Julia skate in the long program.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by sky_fly20 View Post
    Canada
    will skate with V&M, Chan and Osmond all in one
    so your problem is ?
    The difference is Julia and Sotnikova are evenly matched so including both in the team event won't likely compromise Russia's ability to win gold. Just like it won't make much difference if Duhamel/Radford and M-T/M split the pairs team event for Canada since they're pretty evenly matched. Where it doesn't make sense to put one skater is if there is another skater of equal calibre (i.e. who can earn a similar placement), and it doesn't make sense to put two entries for one discipline if one entry is obviously superior (like V/T over S/K) Even for B/S, I'd say they should do both because they're pushed as the Russian #1, and I/K might lose to W/P and P/B given their history of errors this season.

In Canada's case, Chan should skate both, Osmond should skate both, MT/M and D/R are evenly matched so they can split pairs, and V&M should skate both (because W/P will likely lose to B/S, maybe even P/B).

For best shot at gold....

Russia:
    Plu
    Lip & Sot
    V/T
    B/S (maybe I/K if they want to give them a medal too)

Canada:
    Chan
    Osmond
    D/R & MT/M
    V/M (maybe W/P if they want to give them a medal too)

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by donezo View Post
    The decision to bench Sotnikova in the team event is absolutely baffling. She has beaten Lipnitskaia in the short program in each of their last three head-to-head competitions. I think she has clearly earned a chance to skate the short program here. Let Julia skate in the long program.
    There is a limit for change of skaters so either Ilinykh/Katsalapov or Sotnikova won't be in the team event.

I adore Sotnikova, and in a perfect world she would do the team event. However, I/K actually have a higher SB in the free than B/S do. If Italy or France make the finals, that one really could matter, and if B/S free dance doesn't look good it could matter too.

Julia actually has a higher SB than Adelina in the short too. While yes Julia has lost to Adelina in the short before, she really is a must have in the free program for Russia.

As a strategy, the Russians are probably making the best move.

If they were limited to two switches, Adelina would I'm sure do the short. But they are, and its probably the best move for the entire team.

As for V/T its way to close to the pairs event for them to do both programs, S/K is the better option and it would give them some exposure too. If they could beat some of the bronze medal hopefuls in the Team event it could put them on path to bronze.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by bekalc View Post
    Julia actually has a higher SB than Adelina in the short too.
    That should be taken with a grain of salt as it was at Cup of Russia, where Lipnitskaia received huge PCS and wasn't called out for her flutz. A clean Sotnikova at CoR could have scored 73-74 points with home ice PCS. At Euros where both skated clean (a much more suitable gauge) Sotnikova placed ahead of her.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast