Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: US Opening Ceremony "Uniform"

Custom Title
    Meh, this is merely in line with the proud US tradition of wearing ugly uniforms at the Olympics. Still beats the wizard coat from 2010.

The star and stripes just does *not* work as a pattern for clothes.

Quote Originally Posted by Rikku View Post
    Could be worse.
    I present to you the official outfit of German athletes: http://img.welt.de/img/olympia/crop1...ympia-2014.jpg
    If anyone's interested, that ... lovely..coat costs about 1500 euros
    you know, though, I think the USA's sweater things are worse.

I guess it comes down to color vs pattern. The team US vest looks a bit 'full', whereas the German coat has the worse colors.
    Neither is going to win 'best dressed'

Custom Title
    Assuming that the weather is cold as always for the Opening, we'll probably see these jackets rather than the ugly Christmas sweater under it:

http://popstyle.ew.com/2013/10/31/ra...nter-olympics/

Missing Tdizzle and SDiggity golden411's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by louisa05 View Post
    Assuming that the weather is cold as always for the Opening, we'll probably see these jackets rather than the ugly Christmas sweater under it:

http://popstyle.ew.com/2013/10/31/ra...nter-olympics/
    FWIW, @JoannBarnas, who has been on the ground in Sochi for a week or so now, says next week will be in the 40s. And IIRC, several of her tweets since her arrival have mentioned how mild the weather has been.
    I think Sochi could be an exception to past Opening Ceremonies (in terms of weather).

I rather like the sweaters -- except for the Lauren name plastered nearly front and center.

And no matter what their fashion tastes are, I bet all the Team USA athletes are proud and more than happy to wear the official uniform.
    Lysacek said on the Today show in October (I'm paraphrasing) that at his past Games, receiving the official team wardrobe turned the Olympics from a surreal experience into a truly real one.

Medalist
    I wasn't crazy about the sweaters, but after watching this about the making of them, I started to like them much more. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z7BDDj_NBEQ . Seeing everyone so proud of their materials and workmanship can make one feel their pride. I am just sorry it wasn't considered to have them made in the USA in the past. I'm glad RL bowed tot he social pressure.

Gotta love Marissa Castelli in the Team USA sweater for the Opening Ceremony. I think she looks great.

ETA:

LOL, just read that Castelli at 5'0" is tied with one other athlete for being the shortest on Team USA.

Castelli is cuter, but I think the Team USA sweater looks fine on Abbott as well.

I love the combination of red, white, & blue, but I do think the sweaters are too busy looking. Maybe the design will grow on me, though.

ISU, stop promoting 2-foot skating!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rikku View Post
    Could be worse.
    I present to you the official outfit of German athletes: http://img.welt.de/img/olympia/crop1...ympia-2014.jpg
    If anyone's interested, that ... lovely..coat costs about 1500 euros
    German outfits are great. Very subtly referencing the flag, great use of colour, very polished.

US opening ceremony uniform looks like an embarrassingly gaudy Christmas sweater. And everything else is typical Ralph Lauren snoozefest.

Rinkside
    Perfect word.....busy. Not entirely sure what the Ralph Lauren design team was thinking.

Custom Title
    Just looked at the photo of the Today Show anchors wearing the Team USA uniforms...geez, it looks like they're in a SNL skit making fun of the Olympics. I always look forward to the American team entering the arena during the Opening Ceremony, but this year...it's gonna be rough (with luck, the teams ahead of them will be wearing even worse uniforms). I'm glad the outfits were made in the USA - they should be. But what the heck were the RL designers smoking when they came up with this sweater and hat?

Custom Title
    I'm curious about what all the athletes get for free during Team Processing? Is there a list somewhere? Felicia posed with some cute silver puffer jackets-- included I'm guessing? And those rings...heard you can upgrade for fancier type, but I assume theres a free base level ring? Sorry, OBSESSED about the free swag. #gimme

Currently frozen as a popsicle Chemistry66's Avatar
    I like the mainly dark blue of the sweater with the white pants, thinking about it again. It's just way too busy overall.

The coats are cool

ISU, stop promoting 2-foot skating!
    Quote Originally Posted by cornell08 View Post
    I'm curious about what all the athletes get for free during Team Processing? Is there a list somewhere? Felicia posed with some cute silver puffer jackets-- included I'm guessing? And those rings...heard you can upgrade for fancier type, but I assume theres a free base level ring? Sorry, OBSESSED about the free swag. #gimme
    'swag'

Quote Originally Posted by cornell08 View Post
    I'm curious about what all the athletes get for free during Team Processing? Is there a list somewhere? ... Sorry, OBSESSED about the free swag. #gimme
    At this late date, a visual answer to a comparable question:
    Kaetlyn Osmond retweeted her coach's photo of all the Olympic swag that Team Canada received.
    https://twitter.com/ravi7walia/statu...27520216391680 (Mar 3)

ETA, I suppose that it's possible that athletes were treated to even more stuff than coaches were.

I imagine that the Team USA Olympians received a similar quantity and range of items.

I'm American, but I loved all the different types of Canadian uniforms that I saw.

And I for one still liked the Team USA opening ceremony sweaters (except for the huge Polo name on the front).
    The USA closing ceremony outfits were boring in comparison.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2