Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Pairs FS - 4CC 2014

More or less: more is more sequinsgalore's Avatar
    Haven DENNEY / Brandon FRAZIER (CHN)

Music: Notre Dame de Paris (soundtrack) by Richard Cocciante

Both i dark blue costume with stone detail.

3Tw - very vertical (as in olden days)
    3LoTh - fall
    3S - he twofooted, almost hand down
    ChSq
    2A+2A+SEQ
    CCoSp
    FiDs
    Li
    3STh - solid
    Li
    Li
    PCoSp

Some messy mistakes at start, she knowingly hits her head.

FS: 56.28+53.25-1.00 = 108.53, 167.10, in 2nd (out of 5)

Custom Title
    Ok skate by Denney and Frazier. Some really really nice lifts. A little trouble on the side by side jumps and a fall on the first throw, but other than that, great speed throughout and they finished really strong. The throws don't have a lot of pop which I think holds them back.

108.53 and into second.

Nice Senior ISU Championship Debut.

Alexa SCIMECA / Chris KNIERIM (USA)

Music: Ever After (soundtrack) by George Fenton

She's in cream white dress. He's in black pants, burgundy vest over white shirt

3Tw - nice height
    3FTh - maybe twofooted
    3S - he doubles
    2A - she stepouts, he does 2A<< fall
    BoDs - bit shaky exit
    3LoTh - twofooted, stepout
    PCoSp
    Li
    FCCoSp
    Li
    Li

Bit of deflated skate with lots of mistakes. They'll probably still stay in 2nd

FS: 50.76+54.55-1.00 = 104.31, 170.35, in 2nd (out of 6)

Custom Title
    Looks like Purich & Tran are going to move up a couple of spots. Kind of hard to believe how low Tran is in the standings considering he was a World bronze medalist only a few years ago with his former partner.

As for Purdy & Marinaro, he does indeed look like he could be Craig Buntin's brother.

Custom Title
    A rough skate for Chris and Alexa.

The jumps gave them a lot of trouble, but the rest of their qualities are still so nice. I kind of want them to switch coaches to someone whose taste is a little more sophisticated, and can offer them a more striking, defined polish.

It may be enough to keep them on the podium.

Custom Title
    104.31 and into third.

Tarah KAYNE / Daniel O SHEA (USA)

Music: Don Quixote by Leon Minkus

She's in tan and blue strapless dress. He's in black toreador costume w/ blue waist band

3Tw - crashy catch, he falls!
    3S
    3LoTh
    FiDs
    PCoSp
    ChSq
    2A+2A+SEQ
    Li
    3STh
    Li
    CCoSp
    Li

Weird fall to start, but a great comeback delivering rest of the elements cleanly. She fistpumps! They could very well move in to 2nd...

FS: 62.23+58.17-1.00 = 119.40, 181.45, in 2nd overall

I'm loving Kayne and O'Shea.. this is the first event I've seen them skate both the short and free at.

skating philosopher
    Wow, that was a great comeback after that freak fall....way to get back into focus!

Custom Title
    Well now I'm definitely a fan of Tarah and Danny. She has nice lines and they have such a great flare for the dramatic. I just feel like they're a really unique team and how great to find a team where both skaters have a flair for the dramatic. Bravo!

Other than the very crashy twist (he fell down) they had a great skate. Props to them for nailing everything else after falling on the opening element.

WOW 119.4 for an American team with a fall! And into second. They are thrilled, as they should be! I hope we get to see a lot more from this team in the future. They also got a 58.17 for PCS. Second highest of the night.

I think they'll benefit from more time together. They'll be able to find greater unison and more power. Once they really gel as a team I see a lot of potential for them.

Custom Title
    Well, Samson it was great talking with me throughout this event. I'm really glad I had this talk.

Custom Title
    oh geeeeeeze somehow I missed this thread and started my own for pairs that went up after this one!

So I just had a long convo with myself covering the whole event. Whoop!

In any event, I especially thought the top two teams were great tonight. I'm not a fan of Tarah and Danny. They have such a wonderful flair for the dramatic and style that really gives them something unique. I hope we get to see them grow! If they managed to score a 119 here with a fall, I can only imagine what they might be capable of in the future. Well deserved.

Sui and Han were a delight too. As I said earlier in my "personal thread" I think this program was the perfect vehicle for them. Youthful and virtuosic. I look forward to seeing them grow.

Rough skate for Alexa and Chris. It was too bad. But now that their season is likely done they can focus on getting fully healed and coming back next season with real attack. Besides, a bronze medal at 4CC is certainly nothing to sneeze at.

Custom Title
    I can add a couple of comments, if you'd like.

Saw Purich & Tran's Life is Beautiful FD at Nationals this month and it was a nice program. They had a good start at Nationals, but then had a couple of falls and problems in the 2nd half of the program. Might have had a small chance of overtaking Lawrence & Swiegers there if they had skated cleanly since L&S had a couple problems of their own. It seems that P&T had a mixed result at this competition too.

Purdy & Marinaro are also fairly new to the Senior leagues, but can move up onto the podium in Canada down the road when D&R and M-T&M retire. Btw, Marinaro mentioned in one of those Skate Canada interview videos recently that he's been told that he looks like Craig Buntin, and it's true!

skating philosopher
    Quote Originally Posted by samson View Post
    oh geeeeeeze somehow I missed this thread and started my own for pairs that went up after this one!

So I just had a long convo with myself covering the whole event. Whoop!

In any event, I especially thought the top two teams were great tonight. I'm not a fan of Tarah and Danny. They have such a wonderful flair for the dramatic and style that really gives them something unique. I hope we get to see them grow! If they managed to score a 119 here with a fall, I can only imagine what they might be capable of in the future. Well deserved.

Sui and Han were a delight too. As I said earlier in my "personal thread" I think this program was the perfect vehicle for them. Youthful and virtuosic. I look forward to seeing them grow.

Rough skate for Alexa and Chris. It was too bad. But now that their season is likely done they can focus on getting fully healed and coming back next season with real attack. Besides, a bronze medal at 4CC is certainly nothing to sneeze at.
    I was wondering why I didn't see you here. I missed you.

I agree with all your points. Weijing and Cong were absolutely delightful tonight, as was Tarah and Danny!

On the Ice
    Don't worry samson, I was on your thread reading all of your posts and had no idea there was another thread either! You weren't alone!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast