Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: What´s Going On To Pro Skaters?

Rinkside
    Originally posted by Yazmeen

Pro skating used to mean Landover World Pros and truly quality competition .... Than after 94 it slid down into a "make a killing and run" little comps with Scott mugging it up, Phillipe taking his shirt off, Oksana laying on the ice for two minutes clutching her stomach and Kat gyrating and looking sexy which tended to bury the skaters who tended to give truly quality performances such as Boitano, Orser, Sato and Kadavy. Overkill and lack of quality did pro skating in, and I hope to see it rise like a Phoenix from the ashes, someday.
    Amen!

Skating Freak Barbie
    Hmmm, maybe the pro turns of Eldredge and Yagudin, B&S and S&P could rekindle some pro competition? Would be nice to see the opportunities for them again....

Kasey

Custom Title
    ITA with what ID Nurse said. Those NA skaters who turned pro in the 80's and early 90's have now retired or are skaing on a limited basis. The big names that did turn pro have had injuries or personal problems that cut their pro careers short. You've also had break ups of ice dancing teams so there is no olympic gold medal ice dancers currently touring. Sergei Grinkov dying meant that a 2 time OGM pairs team was gone. Katia decided to pay attention to family as did Nancy and now Kristi. No one was there to take their place.

I do think that pro skating might be "saved" by Michelle Kwan and the current generation of skaters who are most likely going to "retire" after 2006. There may not be any opportunities right now but Michelle could get sponsers lining up for new ones.

Trouble is that Michelle has said time and time again she was not going to still be skating when she was old. Of course, she may not feel that way any more, time will tell. I just don't look for her to be skating much after the Olympics. I hope I'm wrong.

I keep on fallin' for Kwan
    Pros is kinda boring. I don't know why.... I have no interest in it... watching the ice shows is nice, but... maybe cuz they're not competing. *lolz*

Custom Title
    I would love for them to bring back a World Professional Championship. And like somebody else said, with B&S, S&P, Yagudin recently turning professional but still being able to be competitive-it would be a great opprotunity to bring back the World Pros.

I don't really mind the skating shows/"comps" on right now, there have been a few good ones lately. However, is it just me, or does IMG seem to have a monopoly on these events?
    It seems that almost all of these skaters are somehow connected to IMG.

Rinkside

re

What does IGM stand for?

Tripping on the Podium

Re: re

Originally posted by Lantz
    What does IGM stand for?
    Not sure, but I think IMG stands for International Management Group, or did at one time.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2