5. Japan
    6. China
    7. France
    8. Germany
    9. Great Britain
    10. Ukraine

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA CaroLiza_fan's Avatar
    The Warm-Up for Group 1 has just finished

So, I am afraid time is up for getting your predictions in.

Unfortunately, we haven't had any confirmation of entries for the Ladies or Dance yet, so the predictions are going to be carnage!

Well done to anybody who manages to do well!

CaroLiza_fan

Custom Title
    Half of the short program is already over. Russia leads...Plushenko was at his best, but that's not enough for a final win in the men event, unless all the other boys get spooked. Honestly I don't know what happens to Chan. Hanyu was so damn good he may win in the end. I also hope Jason will be on the podium, as both skaters really perform when they are in the rink. Takahashi is also in the same league, but he may be too injured by a life in figure skating, and I doubt he has the power to go flawlessly. Going back to the team event, I think that Canada has to do well in the girls event, but I doubt Kaetlin could beat Julia. Russia is just too good now. In dance, Canada is above Russia, but that may be not enough. It is also interesting how well will Plushy do in the LP...
    Last edited by Sabrina; 02-06-2014 at 02:51 PM. Reason: changing to into too, as it makes a difference

Banned
    1. Russia
    2. Canada
    3. U.S
    4. Japan
    5. Italy
    6. China
    7. France
    8. Germany
    9. Britian
    10. Ukraine

Custom Title
    By my count, 4 of us got this 100% correct (Russia, Canada, USA, Italy, Japan)

Banned
    Everyone should have gotten it right. When one breaks down the teams it was pretty obvious that was the only possible outcome pretty much. I had previously though Canada, Russia, and U.S were all very close, but once I did my rough event by event breakdown I saw that wasnt the case at all by the points system.

I got everything right but 9th and 10th. I thought did a breakdown of all the personal bests, and that showed me that Italy was stronger than Japan.

Custom Title
    Will this be scored soon? The team event ended 4 days ago....

Quote Originally Posted by 96skiluvr View Post
    Will this be scored soon? The team event ended 4 days ago....
    Ah! With everything that has been happening this past week, I forgot all about the Team round of the Predictions Game!

As the other scorers have been doing so much so far, and since I don't want to take up any more of their time during the Olympics, I'll do this one myself.

After all, there's no sports on that I want to watch tomorrow morning, so I'll have plenty of time to do it then.

Sorry again, it had completely gone out of my head.

CaroLiza_fan

Right, I've just finished calculating the results.

The most common mistakes people made were:

a.) to get Russia and Canada the wrong way around for the Gold and Silver medals.
    b.) to get Japan and Italy the wrong way around for 4th and 5th.
    c.) to have China as 5th.

Nearly everybody correctly predicted that the USA would win the Bronze medal.

Quote Originally Posted by 96skiluvr View Post
    By my count, 4 of us got this 100% correct (Russia, Canada, USA, Italy, Japan)
    Mmmm. I got 3 members with full marks: 96 skiluvr, bekalc and Frenchie. So, if I've missed somebody out, let me know!

Next up with 70 points was LRK

Then, there were 7 members with 65 points.

Here is the Top 10 line-up for the Team Event:

1.) 96 skiluvr, bekalc, Frenchie: 75
    4.) LRK: 70
    5.) Bea, enlight78, Florencito, Irina 123, pangtongfan, SubRosa, tulosai: 65

And, just to get myself in, joint 11th were:

11.) CaroLiza_fan, Mrs. P, Poice, rosacotton, Sabrina, YesWay: 60

Congratulations to everybody!

CaroLiza_fan

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by CaroLiza_fan View Post
    c.) to have China as 5th.
    Well, I think these "mistakes" were more like consequences of not knowing who would skate for each team.

Particularly China. I mean, if I'd known they weren't putting in Zijun Li or Pang/Tong for the short... I'd have realised China had already given up on a team medal, and weren't taking it seriously... and I wouldn't have included them in my top 5 :-/

Quote Originally Posted by YesWay View Post
    Well, I think these "mistakes" were more like consequences of not knowing who would skate for each team.

Particularly China. I mean, if I'd kwn they weren't putting in Zijun Li or Pang/Tong for the short... I'd have realised China had already given up on a team medal, and weren't taking it seriously... and I wouldn't have included them in my top 5 :-/
    I'm not sure it would have made a difference . They would have needed four more points and they best they were likely to get is one more point from Pairs and maybe two in ladies. I am not so sure
    Zijun would have between Wagner.

The reason I got my predictions right is because I researched all of the personal bests of all the participants. I posted it on another board but not here. I thought Italy was a way stronger team then they were being given credit for. With a strong dance team, strong pairs and strong lady in Kostner. I thought maybe the dance team could place higher, and I did think their male would do better than he did. Japan's pairs/dance team did pretty well for their level but their singles underperformed. When you think about it, it was a LOT to ask from the singles skaters.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by bekalc View Post
    The reason I got my predictions right is because I researched all of the personal bests of all the participants.
    Well, for me it's not as simple as looking up personal bests (some of which may been years ago), especially at an Olympics. I certainly think about many more factors than that. And otherwise where's the fun in it?! :-D

And if you don't know who is going to skate, individual personal bests become meaningless, when estimating the strength of a team.

So personally I think it's more likely coincience that the order matched the personal bests. However, if the same thing happens at the next 20 Olympics, the statistics may start to be meaningful, and I might be convinced! :-D

By the way, did you try the same strategy for the pairs or men's individual competitions? I'm guessing those wouldn't have worked out quite so well...

Custom Title
    Hi CaroLizafan,

I was just looking at the scores on the Google Doc, and I noticed that (only) for the team event, the max scores were still at 75? Were they supposed to be doubled and didn't get doubled (because of the Olympic/Worlds double scoring), or was the team event scored as regular at max 75?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast