Winter Olympics Team Event: Predictions Game Round 3 | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Winter Olympics Team Event: Predictions Game Round 3

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Right, I've just finished calculating the results.

The most common mistakes people made were:

a.) to get Russia and Canada the wrong way around for the Gold and Silver medals.
b.) to get Japan and Italy the wrong way around for 4th and 5th.
c.) to have China as 5th.

Nearly everybody correctly predicted that the USA would win the Bronze medal.

By my count, 4 of us got this 100% correct (Russia, Canada, USA, Italy, Japan)

Mmmm. I got 3 members with full marks: 96 skiluvr, bekalc and Frenchie. So, if I've missed somebody out, let me know!

Next up with 70 points was LRK

Then, there were 7 members with 65 points.

Here is the Top 10 line-up for the Team Event:

1.) 96 skiluvr, bekalc, Frenchie: 75
4.) LRK: 70
5.) Bea, enlight78, Florencito, Irina 123, pangtongfan, SubRosa, tulosai: 65

And, just to get myself in, joint 11th were:

11.) CaroLiza_fan, Mrs. P, Poice, rosacotton, Sabrina, YesWay: 60

Congratulations to everybody!

CaroLiza_fan

YesWay

四年もかけて&#
Record Breaker
c.) to have China as 5th.
Well, I think these "mistakes" were more like consequences of not knowing who would skate for each team.

Particularly China. I mean, if I'd known they weren't putting in Zijun Li or Pang/Tong for the short... I'd have realised China had already given up on a team medal, and weren't taking it seriously... and I wouldn't have included them in my top 5 :-/

bekalc

Record Breaker
Well, I think these "mistakes" were more like consequences of not knowing who would skate for each team.

Particularly China. I mean, if I'd kwn they weren't putting in Zijun Li or Pang/Tong for the short... I'd have realised China had already given up on a team medal, and weren't taking it seriously... and I wouldn't have included them in my top 5 :-/

I'm not sure it would have made a difference . They would have needed four more points and they best they were likely to get is one more point from Pairs and maybe two in ladies. I am not so sure
Zijun would have between Wagner.

The reason I got my predictions right is because I researched all of the personal bests of all the participants. I posted it on another board but not here. I thought Italy was a way stronger team then they were being given credit for. With a strong dance team, strong pairs and strong lady in Kostner. I thought maybe the dance team could place higher, and I did think their male would do better than he did. Japan's pairs/dance team did pretty well for their level but their singles underperformed. When you think about it, it was a LOT to ask from the singles skaters.

YesWay

四年もかけて&#
Record Breaker
The reason I got my predictions right is because I researched all of the personal bests of all the participants.
Well, for me it's not as simple as looking up personal bests (some of which may been years ago), especially at an Olympics. I certainly think about many more factors than that. And otherwise where's the fun in it?! :-D

And if you don't know who is going to skate, individual personal bests become meaningless, when estimating the strength of a team.

So personally I think it's more likely coincience that the order matched the personal bests. However, if the same thing happens at the next 20 Olympics, the statistics may start to be meaningful, and I might be convinced! :-D

By the way, did you try the same strategy for the pairs or men's individual competitions? I'm guessing those wouldn't have worked out quite so well...

96skiluvr

On the Ice
Hi CaroLizafan,

I was just looking at the scores on the Google Doc, and I noticed that (only) for the team event, the max scores were still at 75? Were they supposed to be doubled and didn't get doubled (because of the Olympic/Worlds double scoring), or was the team event scored as regular at max 75?

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Hi CaroLizafan,

I was just looking at the scores on the Google Doc, and I noticed that (only) for the team event, the max scores were still at 75? Were they supposed to be doubled and didn't get doubled (because of the Olympic/Worlds double scoring), or was the team event scored as regular at max 75?

See, I knew this would happen!

It was always the plan that the Team Event would be scored using the normal points system. When there was so much confusion over just who would be competing, I thought it would be unfair if it had more weight than, say, Europeans and Four Continents.

So, when I was doing the scoring for the Team Event, that is the reason that I put them on the spare sheet.

A few days later, I contacted the person who created the spreadsheet about extending the formatting due to us now having more players than she expected. However, when she did it, she also moved the Team Event results to a column on the Olympics sheet. She used the reasoning that they should all be on the same sheet as they were all part of the Olympics.

I argued that they should be kept separate because they are using different judging systems, and because they were essentially 2 different events held at the same venue. But, at the end of the day, she has more editing privileges than me. So, I was over-ruled.

As a result, we are now getting the confusion that I intended to avoid. :rolleye: :disapp:

Oh well! :eek:hwell:

CaroLiza_fan