Worried that Kim Yuna will win based on her reputation alone in Sochi | Golden Skate

Worried that Kim Yuna will win based on her reputation alone in Sochi

Status
Not open for further replies.

MUALover

Rinkside
I hope the judging in Sochi will be fair.

I love Kim Yuna. I think she was the best figure skater ever. Her 2010 programs were best (in history to me)

However, just because she's the best ever in Vancouver doesn't mean she's the best today or in Sochi. I'm afraid she will be held up in PCS in Sochi.

Because I had a look at her recent Korean Nationals SP and LPs and I dunno… She still good but I'm not feeling her programs as much. Maybe it's the choreography. The programs are lacking in details and refinement. Of course she still has her speed, her ideal ballerina body figure (long arms and legs and small head). Plus with the competition held in Russia, who knows how the judging will go. But I have bad vibes about this whole thing.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
I think there are other skaters who will be much more likely to be held up, namely Asada and Lipnitskaia. If anything, the judges might hold Yu Na back in the SP, and then when she skates cleanly they have no choice but to give her the win, and by a lot (see: Worlds 2013).

Ven

Match Penalty
I think there are other skaters who will be much more likely to be held up, namely Asada and Lipnitskaia. If anything, the judges might hold Yu Na back in the SP, and then when she skates cleanly they have no choice but to give her the win, and by a lot (see: Worlds 2013).

I think if Yuna goes clean, even in group 4, she will get ~80 and judges will use her as the gold standard. That might inflate some other scores a little bit. On the other hand, if Yuna makes a mistake, they will drag her down towards 70 with the clean ladies, and Mao would have a chance to take the lead. jmo

Elaine

On the Ice
Lol. I don't want to offend you, but there is no logic in your saying. If you stop hating Yuna (at least just for a moment), I'm sure you can see a bunch of skaters whe are likely to be held up by PCS, more than Yuna. Julia, Adelina, for example. Maybe the Europeans, maybe skaters who have russian coaches(I don't think these will happen, still, more possible than the case you mentioned). Olympic being held in Russia will not do Yuna any particular favor in the way you're worried about. Last time I checked Yuna Kim was a Korean. Then how the heck can the results at the K Nationals indicate scoring at the Olympic held in Russia? Go and be worried about the Russian girls. That might happen for them.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
If Yuna wins it will be because she was clean and did 9 triples and 3 2A's all with massive +GOE. That's 10 elements in which she can gain a distinct edge over her competition when others have a least a couple of passes that get -GOE either from edge calls or other minor mistakes.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
I think if Yuna goes clean, even in group 4, she will get ~80 and judges will use her as the gold standard. That might inflate some other scores a little bit. On the other hand, if Yuna makes a mistake, they will drag her down towards 70 with the clean ladies, and Mao would have a chance to take the lead. jmo

I highly doubt it. You saw what they did at Worlds in the SP with the phantom lip call and program that was just a few points higher than Kostner who fell.

If Yu Na makes a minor mistake, however, she shouldn't clear 70. You can bet the Russians are pushing for a tighter PCS gap between Lipnitskaia/Sotnikova and Kim, which will result in the two being propped up while Kim's (and likely Mao's) PCS is kept at bay.

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
If Kim does a clean short in Sochi I am fairly certain of a score in the 76-78 range. Worlds last year is getting rehashed way too often. Kim wasnt established as the top skater in the World anymore, her program was a bore with awful music and choreography, she was slow and tenative, and she messed up atleast 1 of her spins. No way in hell would the judges dare to put a Russian over a clean Kim in any program. They will be under enough scrutiny by that point in the Games already I am sure.

Anyway to the thread title, OP if Kim skates cleanly she will indeed win in Sochi, but she will also deserve to. Who deserves to actually beat a clean Kim. The only one I could see a case for is Asada if she did her super difficult program cleanly, and if by some miracle she did (will never happen) she probably would win. Sotnikova, Lipnitskaia, Gold, Wagner, winning over even a semi clean Kim would in fact be plain wrong on every level, and in the case of the first two Russia would be raked over the coals for perceived home country BS if it ever happened. So thank goodness that wont happen, whether you put it down to reputation or whatever.

Ven

Match Penalty
I highly doubt it. You saw what they did at Worlds in the SP with the phantom lip call and program that was just a few points higher than Kostner who fell.

They got egg on their face for that. Didn't the tech caller admit error after the competition? I don't remember for sure.

If Yu Na makes a minor mistake, however, she shouldn't clear 70. You can bet the Russians are pushing for a tighter PCS gap between Lipnitskaia/Sotnikova and Kim, which will result in the two being propped up while Kim's (and likely Mao's) PCS is kept at bay.

I agree they will try to narrow the spread for the Russians. I guess I just think they will do Olympics inflation and give more inflation to the Russians and less to the vets, as that looks like less obvious cheating than just low-balling clean veterans.

MUALover

Rinkside
Lol. I don't want to offend you, but there is no logic in your saying. If you stop hating Yuna (at least just for a moment), I'm sure you can see a bunch of skaters whe are likely to be held up by PCS, more than Yuna. Julia, Adelina, for example. Maybe the Europeans, maybe skaters who have russian coaches(I don't think these will happen, still, more possible than the case you mentioned). Olympic being held in Russia will not do Yuna any particular favor in the way you're worried about. Last time I checked Yuna Kim was a Korean. Then how the heck can the results at the K Nationals indicate scoring at the Olympic held in Russia? Go and be worried about the Russian girls. That might happen for them.

Since when was I hating Yuna? Can't you criticise someone without it being "hate"? Are you related to her or something?

Your comebacks are as lame as all the hyper Korean Kim fans on youtube spewing hate on Mao.

Status
Not open for further replies.