Team Competition -- Who will win what medals? | Page 7 | Golden Skate

Team Competition -- Who will win what medals?

ice coverage

Record Breaker
oh yeah sure, but i meant is the whole team gonna be in the k&c together or is it basically just an individual event with them collating all the scores behind the scenes?

The Sochi team skating will have ten Kiss and Cry areas, one for each country - similar to WTT.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
If you look at Z&B's versus C&S's scores internationally, this isn't the case. There were less than 3 points at Nats between a perfect Z&B (literally the absolute best they could do) and C&S with some small errors and a fall. Marissa and Simon have bigger elements, are faster and have a more sophisticated quality and programs that should be reflected in PCS. Because neither team is in the medal hunt, I think USFS made the right choice by not splitting them.

I am however a fan of Felicia and Nate and thrilled that they skated lights out at Nats and triumpled over politics and (over)hype of D&C to make the team. I hope they have a wonderful Olympic experience and stick around.

Good point but the next question is will it make a difference being closer ie to fourth but still in fifth either way doesn't matter (just giving an example.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
What about Team Japan? If they are perfect in the singles maybe they can get medal. :popcorn::yay:

Yep they can; they will do better in the long program - the key is for them to win the singles and hope that the dance and pairs aren't to far behind in the short. If in the short the spoilers like the Ukrainians and Germans and teams get in the way well they could find it hard but they have a good shot at a medal - I am doubtful gold though.

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
I think Skate Canada prefers a gold medal in the men's event than a gold medal in the team event. They want Patrick to have enough time to rest in between events. I think it was his decision.

At this point they dont have much chance of the Team Gold anymore anyway, so they might as well just use Reynolds or Weaver & Poje (preferably W&P) to give one of V&M or Chan some rest.

cornell08

Final Flight
At this point they dont have much chance of the Team Gold anymore anyway, so they might as well just use Reynolds or Weaver & Poje (preferably W&P) to give one of V&M or Chan some rest.

How do they not have much chance for Team Gold?? I see gold between Canada and Russia at this point, their ladies and dance teams are pretty solid.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
I don't think it's even close to calling it over for Canada. They're merely 2 points behind Russia. Had Chan skated slightly better they'd be tied or 1 point ahead of Team Russia. There are 6 segments left to skate, and lots of potential for Russia to lose the gold (e.g. S/K don't skate well, I/K make an error which has happened, Plushenko skates like at Russian nationals). And this is assuming Julia skates well enough. I do agree though that Plushenko placed higher than expected, and because of that, Russia is in a much stronger position to take gold.

wallylutz

Medalist
V/T will not be skating the in Pairs FS, which means Canada will have a chance to equalize Russia in Pairs, possibly even move ahead. M-T/M have stronger basics than D/R and are the more classical pair skaters in the sense that their individual elements are not as difficult but their pair elements are stronger.

Russia is a question mark in Ice Dance. Italy and France both have a chance of pushing the Russian Dance team way down and they will do their best because it can boost their standings in the eyes of the judges before the individual events. B/S have a history of splashing on ice this season, not exactly a sure bet when they take the ice. Even if B/S doesn't splash, it's not a sure bet they can make the top 3 after the SD. People expected B/S to do very well perhaps even medal at the 2011 Worlds in Russia, instead, they got absolutely trashed, even on Russian soil.

Ladies is another big question mark. But to quote Irina Slutskaya : "Ice is slippery." Julia is not going to be infaillable, nobody will ever be. Julia also has never been tested in such high pressure environment. Osmond handled the pressure very well last year - until she was in the final group of ladies' FS at the World Championship with all the big guns skating around her. To put all the egg in Julia's basket is very risky, she is just 15 and look like 12, in other words, just a kid. That's a lot of pressure on a little girl if you ask me.

Near

On the Ice
Country
Canada
I do think Chan should skate the free for the sake of his confidence. There won't be a Yuzuru there to beat him by nearly ten points.

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
How do they not have much chance for Team Gold?? I see gold between Canada and Russia at this point, their ladies and dance teams are pretty solid.

Russia has a HUGE advantage in the ladies. Unless several people bomb to allow Osmond to place way higher than expected, Julia will beat Osmond by several spots or more in both programs without question. And no Julia wont falter, that is wishful thinking. V&M will probably only beat B&S by 1 spot in the SD, and France probably wont make team finals so I&K should come only 1 spot behind there too. Moore-Towers & Moscovitch will probably come somewhere from 2nd to 4th in the pair final round. S&K will probably be 1st or 2nd I believe.

Unless something majorly unexpected happens Russia has this in the bag, whether Chan skates the final round or not (and he probably wont).

cornell08

Final Flight
Russia has a HUGE advantage in the ladies. Unless several people bomb to allow Osmond to place way higher than expected, Julia will beat Osmond by several spots or more in both programs without question. And no Julia wont falter, that is wishful thinking. V&M will probably only beat B&S by 1 spot in the SD, and France probably wont make team finals so I&K should come only 1 spot behind there too. Moore-Towers & Moscovitch will probably come somewhere from 2nd to 4th in the pair final round. S&K will probably be 1st or 2nd I believe.

Unless something majorly unexpected happens Russia has this in the bag, whether Chan skates the final round or not (and he probably wont).

1) I think you underestimate the streakiness of Russian ice dance
2) Its not really wishful thinking that Julia will falter-- home crowd could possibly make her feel more pressure, along with Russia being in front at the moment.
3) When Osmond is on, like during Canadian Nationals, her score may very well surprise (especially since we have few references for her clean skate scores outside of Canada).

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I don't think it's even close to calling it over for Canada. They're merely 2 points behind Russia. Had Chan skated slightly better they'd be tied or 1 point ahead of Team Russia. There are 6 segments left to skate, and lots of potential for Russia to lose the gold (e.g. S/K don't skate well, I/K make an error which has happened, Plushenko skates like at Russian nationals). And this is assuming Julia skates well enough. I do agree though that Plushenko placed higher than expected, and because of that, Russia is in a much stronger position to take gold.

Maybe i am asking the wrong poster but is it possible that Plushy's pcs were a bit high and Chan could have been second in the team short program. I didn't see much transition though he did sell the program. Still Canada has a chance depending on how well or how poorly Osmond does and yes, I and K and K and S and Julia who is no guarantee could allow Canada gold. The big issue and at this point it doesn't look great is USA out of gold contention. The team to watch to see them plummet is China. We'll see; maybe Li might do well but the dance team doesn't look good at all.

wallylutz

Medalist
Call me unconvinced re: Julia as well. She couldn't even beat Sotnikova for the Russia title or in the SP at Europeans even though Sotnikova only did a 3T+3T and 3F, exactly like Osmond has planned. Not to mention, Sotnikova have lost to Osmond twice already and Osmond have already beaten Mao and Ashley in SP before. The picture is far from clear even though a Jo Jo 1-900 wants us to believe the results are already written in stone. Julia may well come ahead of Osmond, but where will the "by several places" come from? Mao? Carolina? Ashley? Chinese girl? France? Germany?

Julia is just as likely to be beaten by Mao and Carolina just as she is likely to be ahead of Osmond. Ashley is a ? at this point, she could be anywhere, ahead of Julia or behind a lot of girls, we just don't know. But we can all agree if Osmond skates even half decent, she will be ahead of girls from France and Germany, UK and Ukraine, and very likely to be ahead of Kexin Zhang as well. Realistically, Julia can be 1 or 2 spots higher than Osmond. Then again, she may not.

wallylutz

Medalist
I read a CBC article somewhere citing Patrick will only skate the SP, Kevin Reynolds will skate the LP.

This is completely false, so let me set the record straight once for all. The rumor that Reynolds will skate LP is just a rumor and speculation. In fact, in CBC's coverage today, they asked Kurt Browning whether Chan will skate in the FS and Kurt's reply that he is not privy to what decisions Skate Canada has made or will make and flatly stated that he simply doesn't know. The bottom line if Kurt doesn't know and the commentators at CBC don't know either, chances are they couldn't have reported it as a fact either.

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
If everyone skates clean the results of the womens short will be:

1. Asada
2. Julia
3. Kostner
4. Wagner
5. Osmond

Julia has beaten a clean Kostner in the short program twice, and the time it was in Russia it was by 5 points. Julia will not be placed below Kostner unless she makes a mistake, and she almost certainly wont. Wagner has generally been okish in the short all year, and will probably be again. Osmond is far more likely to make a mistake and drop below her expected 5th place than the more consistent Julia is to make one and drop below her expected 2nd, so the expected 3 points gap could be bigger than that.

Also ROTFL at the notoriously clueless poster who stated it is more likely Julia finishes below Osmond in SP than she is able to beat Kostner. Julia is in fact likely to beat Kostner in the SP, while Osmond beating her in the SP would require a fall on a major element (and even then might well not even if Osmond is clean).

elif

Medalist
So canadian skaters had to skate perfect and then wait for mistakes from russians.