Team Competition -- Who will win what medals? | Page 5 | Golden Skate

Team Competition -- Who will win what medals?

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I think russia and Canada in particular have to be careful not to give up too many points ie. using Weaver and Poje will cost at least a point if not 2 or 3, likewise Reynolds likely will cost a couple of points at least- say they lost 5 points that is easily a medal position or two.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
It's tough to predict without knowing the entire rosters for the teams, but playing out different scenarios in my head, I have to agree with Skater Boy.

I don't see the team competition being a runaway, and I think it'll be down to the wire.

I also think it will be much more thrilling, for the skaters and for the viewers, than some here are predicting.

elif

Medalist
I'm afraid the team event will really mess things up for the top athlete's hopes. It isn't fair that just a few countries can do this. YuNa can rest easy I guess. I think it will be major stress for many skaters. I don't like it in Olympics.

A olympic medal can take some pressure off too. Gold, Sotnikova and Lipnitskaia probably going to be olympic medalist before ladies event, unlike Suzuki and Kostner. This can help them in the individual event.

desertskates

Medalist
I'm thinking Russia, Canada, and the US.
I'm really curious about the US line-up. I'd like to see Ashley do the long for two reasons. She can get that free skate out there and because for Gracie to skate so well at nationals, team event and the ladies' event is liking asking lightning to strike in the same place three times. I've really warmed up to her skating this year, but her consistency is untested so far.

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I'm thinking Russia, Canada, and the US.
I'm really curious about the US line-up. I'd like to see Ashley do the long for two reasons. She can get that free skate out there and because for Gracie to skate so well at nationals, team event and the ladies' event is liking asking lightning to strike in the same place three times. I've really warmed up to her skating this year, but her consistency is untested so far.

I agree Gracie should do the SP. Doing the LP just gives her more time to make mistakes plus Gracie is more of a SP skater. If she skates clean she will get a big score.

flying camel

Medalist
I don't know. I worry about Ashley's stamina. I think she should save her energy for the single events. I think Polina or Ashley the SP and Gracie the LP.

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
I just did a breakdown how I think the results in each program might go, to get a rough summary how the final results might go.

Pairs short

1. Russia
2. Canada (Duhamel & Radford)
3. China
4. Italy
5. France
6. United States
7. Germany
8. Japan
9. Ukraine
10. Great Britian

Points of the major contenders at this point: Russia 10, Canada 9, China 8, Italy 7, United States 5, Japan 3

Short dance

1. United States
2. Canada
3. Russia
4. France
5. Italy
6. Great Britain
7. Germany
8. Japan
9. China
10. Ukraine

Russia and Canada now both have 18 points. United States has 15. France and Italy have 13. China has 10. Japan has 6.

Ladies short

1. Japan
2. Russia
3. United States
4. Italy
5. Canada
6. China
7. France
8. Ukraine
9. Germany.
10. Great Britian

Russia now has 27 points. Canada has 24. United States 23. Italy 20. France 17. Japan 16. China 15.

Mens short

1. Japan
2. Canada
3. United States
4. Russia
5. China
6. France
7. Germany
8. Ukraine
9. Italy
10. Great Britian

Points at this juncture- Russia 34, Canada 33, United States 31. Japan 26 and Italy and France both have 22, so I guess it would come down to point totals to determine which makes it (most likely something of the placings above will be wrong and one will make it directly). China I have projected at 21, so they could easily make it. It looks like Japan really should make the Team Final though.

Long programs

Pairs

1. Russia (Stolbova & Klimov)
2. Canada (Moore-Towers & Moscovitch)
3. Italy
4. United States
5. Japan

Russia now has 44 points, Canada 42, and United States 38. Japan has 32, and Italy 28.

Dance

1. United States
2. Canada
3. Russia
4. Italy
5. Japan

Russia now has 52 points, and Canada 51. United States with 48. Japan has 38 and Italy 35.

Ladies

1. Russia
2. Japan (Suzuki)
3. Italy
4. United States (Wagner)
5. Canada

Russia now has 62 points. Canada 57. United States 55. Japan has 47. Italy 43.

Men

1. Japan (Machida)
2. United States (Abbott or Brown)
3. Russia
4. Canada
5. Italy

Russia now has 70 points. Canada has 64. United States 64. Japan has 57. Italy 49.

Looking at it more in depth now I would have to say Russia is now my pick for the gold. I think using Reynolds in place of Chan plan though might be scrapped if they are trailing the Russians. Looking at it more in depth now I am not sure if Canada can even use Reynolds if they want to win.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
This is a great baseline analysis! It makes it easy to "gameplay."

As we've posted before, Team USA has got to find a way to place higher than expected in the pairs events to have any chance at all. Maybe the ladies can pick off the Russians in one of the events.

Even then, it will be a slim chance.

I also think you're right about Chan. He almost HAS to skate both programs for Canada to win.

samson

Medalist
I just realized this event starts in a WEEK!!!!!

The Olympics are so close I really can't believe we don't have official rosters for this event yet.

Does anyone know when athletes start arriving to the village? I wonder how early in advance they're allowed to be there.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
I just realized this event starts in a WEEK!!!!!

The Olympics are so close I really can't believe we don't have official rosters for this event yet.

Does anyone know when athletes start arriving to the village? I wonder how early in advance they're allowed to be there.

Today was the first day of official figure skating practices in Sochi.

But as discussed elsewhere, the deadline for submitting rosters for the team skating event is not until Feb 5, the day before the team competition begins.

Li'Kitsu

Record Breaker
pangtongfan said:
Russia now has 70 points. Canada has 64. United States 64. Japan has 57. Italy 49.

I agree with the majority of your predictions, and this really shows that Japan could have shot at a medal if one of the other teams falter. More than anything though, look at what an amazing team Japan would have had if Takahashi/Tran could have skated at the Olympics and wouldn't have had to split up. (And I'm still missing them...)

Maybe Canada will wait until after the SPs to decide which Men does the LP (or better to say think in advance of how to react to different scenarios). How does Plushenko look? What other teams are making the LP - Japan and China with strong men entries, or Italy with a weaker one? I'm really sad for Reynolds, after last years worlds he would have been a good contender for his team. Stupid boot problems.

samson

Medalist
Today was the first day of official figure skating practices in Sochi.

But as discussed elsewhere, the deadline for submitting rosters for the team skating event is not until Feb 5, the day before the team competition begins.

aaaaah thank you! this close to the games it's sometimes difficult to read all the info and updates about the events etc... Much appreciated!!!

Gymfan15

On the Ice
From what I've gathered from various reports, it sounds like Chan does NOT want to skate the LP at all but is probably going to be heavily pressured/guilted into doing so by his teammates/federation. I make a distinction because I think SC may value Chan's potential individual gold over the team gold, whereas the team (Moir in particular) really, really want that team gold. Ultimately, Chan will make his own decision and decide what he wants to do. With his track record, I could see him really beating himself up if he skated the SP and LP in the team event and then faltered in the individual. Does he really want to leave Sochi with so many "what if's"?.

ice coverage

Record Breaker

wallylutz

Medalist

bekalc

Record Breaker
From what I've gathered from various reports, it sounds like Chan does NOT want to skate the LP at all but is probably going to be heavily pressured/guilted into doing so by his teammates/federation. I make a distinction because I think SC may value Chan's potential individual gold over the team gold, whereas the team (Moir in particular) really, really want that team gold. Ultimately, Chan will make his own decision and decide what he wants to do. With his track record, I could see him really beating himself up if he skated the SP and LP in the team event and then faltered in the individual. Does he really want to leave Sochi with so many "what if's"?.

They better not pressure him to much, the guy needs to do what's best for Patrick in this circumstance. He's worked all his life for that men's title.

However....he may want to think how he'll feel if he doesn't do it and then he doesn't get gold in men's either.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
While the individual is more important, if you have two shots at gold and one of them is to get gold for your teammates then go for it. Chan is well trained enough to handle that. He will have 3 days to recuperate.