Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

Thread: Team Competition -- Who will win what medals?

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by CanadianSkaterGuy View Post
    I don't think it's even close to calling it over for Canada. They're merely 2 points behind Russia. Had Chan skated slightly better they'd be tied or 1 point ahead of Team Russia. There are 6 segments left to skate, and lots of potential for Russia to lose the gold (e.g. S/K don't skate well, I/K make an error which has happened, Plushenko skates like at Russian nationals). And this is assuming Julia skates well enough. I do agree though that Plushenko placed higher than expected, and because of that, Russia is in a much stronger position to take gold.
    Maybe i am asking the wrong poster but is it possible that Plushy's pcs were a bit high and Chan could have been second in the team short program. I didn't see much transition though he did sell the program. Still Canada has a chance depending on how well or how poorly Osmond does and yes, I and K and K and S and Julia who is no guarantee could allow Canada gold. The big issue and at this point it doesn't look great is USA out of gold contention. The team to watch to see them plummet is China. We'll see; maybe Li might do well but the dance team doesn't look good at all.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by hyperinflation View Post
    if chan skates the long and doesn't psych himself out, they have a good chance at gold
    I read a CBC article somewhere citing Patrick will only skate the SP, Kevin Reynolds will skate the LP.

Custom Title
    Call me unconvinced re: Julia as well. She couldn't even beat Sotnikova for the Russia title or in the SP at Europeans even though Sotnikova only did a 3T+3T and 3F, exactly like Osmond has planned. Not to mention, Sotnikova have lost to Osmond twice already and Osmond have already beaten Mao and Ashley in SP before. The picture is far from clear even though a Jo Jo 1-900 wants us to believe the results are already written in stone. Julia may well come ahead of Osmond, but where will the "by several places" come from? Mao? Carolina? Ashley? Chinese girl? France? Germany?

Julia is just as likely to be beaten by Mao and Carolina just as she is likely to be ahead of Osmond. Ashley is a ? at this point, she could be anywhere, ahead of Julia or behind a lot of girls, we just don't know. But we can all agree if Osmond skates even half decent, she will be ahead of girls from France and Germany, UK and Ukraine, and very likely to be ahead of Kexin Zhang as well. Realistically, Julia can be 1 or 2 spots higher than Osmond. Then again, she may not.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Becki View Post
    I read a CBC article somewhere citing Patrick will only skate the SP, Kevin Reynolds will skate the LP.
    This is completely false, so let me set the record straight once for all. The rumor that Reynolds will skate LP is just a rumor and speculation. In fact, in CBC's coverage today, they asked Kurt Browning whether Chan will skate in the FS and Kurt's reply that he is not privy to what decisions Skate Canada has made or will make and flatly stated that he simply doesn't know. The bottom line if Kurt doesn't know and the commentators at CBC don't know either, chances are they couldn't have reported it as a fact either.

Banned
    If everyone skates clean the results of the womens short will be:

1. Asada
    2. Julia
    3. Kostner
    4. Wagner
    5. Osmond

Julia has beaten a clean Kostner in the short program twice, and the time it was in Russia it was by 5 points. Julia will not be placed below Kostner unless she makes a mistake, and she almost certainly wont. Wagner has generally been okish in the short all year, and will probably be again. Osmond is far more likely to make a mistake and drop below her expected 5th place than the more consistent Julia is to make one and drop below her expected 2nd, so the expected 3 points gap could be bigger than that.

Also ROTFL at the notoriously clueless poster who stated it is more likely Julia finishes below Osmond in SP than she is able to beat Kostner. Julia is in fact likely to beat Kostner in the SP, while Osmond beating her in the SP would require a fall on a major element (and even then might well not even if Osmond is clean).

Custom Title
    So canadian skaters had to skate perfect and then wait for mistakes from russians.

Custom Title

If there is no more war or hunger this world, we would all be better off, wouldn't we? When was the last time in an Olympics, every single top 10 skaters all go clean or even close to? Like never. A competition is not an exercise of favoritism on paper or we may just as well phone in the results, anything can happen and in Singles, surprises are abundant. Who expected Tara Lipinski to win Gold in 1998 when Michelle Kwan had no visible errors? Who expected Sarah Hughes to win Gold in 2002? And who thought Arakawa would be anywhere near the podium, let alone Gold in Torino? Who expected Dennis Ten to beat Takahashi and Hanyu at the 2013 Worlds? I could go on and on. This is just silly. The only discipline we can predict with high degree of certainty is Ice Dance and perhaps Pairs, but Singles, no way.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by elif View Post
    So canadian skaters had to skate perfect and then wait for mistakes from russians.
    I view this more like a match of tennis. Russia got a break point right now, therefore, Canada needs to break it back at this point.

Banned
    If everyone skates clean the results of the womens short will be:
    if wishes were fishes...

some of those ladies are the biggest chokers in the game

Custom Title
    Lipnitskaia isn't one of them.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckm View Post
    Lipnitskaia isn't one of them.
    Try tell dem nuh!! Ice run inna fi har veins. Brushing up on the Jamaican patois..

Custom Title
    Totally agree!
    Quote Originally Posted by wallylutz View Post
    I view this more like a match of tennis. Russia got a break point right now, therefore, Canada needs to break it back at this point.

Russia 1
    Canada 2
    ???

Canada has a hole in the ladies. V/M will keep CAN in the hunt but RUS has solid competitors in every discipline.

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10