Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Thread: Team Competition -- Who will win what medals?

she takes the audience on her journey of emotions Layfan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ImaginaryPogue View Post
    Great Britain didn't qualify a skater for men's, and will be using the Additional Athlete Quote. Japan is using the additional athlete quota because they didn't qualify a pairs skater. Otherwise, every nation has qualified in all four disciplines; either from Worlds or from Nebelhorn.
    Thanks, Very cool. Anything that lets us see more skating and more skaters is cool by me.

Quote Originally Posted by ImaginaryPogue View Post
    Great Britain didn't qualify a skater for men's, and will be using the Additional Athlete Quote. Japan is using the additional athlete quota because they didn't qualify a pairs skater. Otherwise, every nation has qualified in all four disciplines; either from Worlds or from Nebelhorn.
    Actually, Takahashi and Kihara made it as first alternates, since two qualified spots did not get used (the Estonians, as well as Popova/Massot for France). They'll do both TE and pairs.

Quote Originally Posted by wallylutz View Post
    This is a very important point you just made. For example, Russians having a stronger Pair than Canada is only true on paper. In reality. V/T will likely only skate the SP and with S/S of Germany not participating, at best Russia will be merely 1 spot higher than Canada in Pairs short of accidents given that the top team from China will not skate either and all the other better Pairs are all Russian who won't be able to skate due to V/T doing it. D/R will be able to hold on to 2nd place in the SP relatively easily. But V/T will not do the FS so even if D/R rests for the FS and pass the torch to M-T/M, they are still the next highest ranked team the in the world to skate the FS and have a decent chance of finishing 1st in the FS, erasing the 1 placement difference in Pairs between Canada and Russia. So the overall point spread from Pairs between Russia and Canada may very well turn out to be neutral. So when somebody in this thread made yet another self-proclaimed infaillable prediction that Canada will be 3rd in the Team Event because Russia has much superior Pair, clearly, that person was out of touch with reality.
    I don't know about that. Look at the season's best list - the Chinese pair and Berton-Hotarek could beat the Canadians and even James/Cipres might have a shot at doing so (though that's less likely). But if V/T are doing the SP, I can't see anyone beating them. In this specific case, Russia really is vastly superior. What happens with the rest of the top places is a question mark.

Personally I imagine that Canada and Russia are locks - they are at least good in every discipline - and the third medal is up for grabs, with the US as frontrunners but not overwhelming ones. I think they may end up regretting their choice of pairs.

A key question is which countries will decide to make a serious play for this event and which might prefer to save their top skaters for the individual events a la Savchenko/Szolkowy.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Buttercup View Post
    Actually, Takahashi and Kihara made it as first alternates, since two qualified spots did not get used (the Estonians, as well as Popova/Massot for France). They'll do both TE and pairs.

I don't know about that. Look at the season's best list - the Chinese pair and Berton-Hotarek could beat the Canadians and even James/Cipres might have a shot at doing so (though that's less likely). But if V/T are doing the SP, I can't see anyone beating them. In this specific case, Russia really is vastly superior. What happens with the rest of the top places is a question mark.

Personally I imagine that Canada and Russia are locks - they are at least good in every discipline - and the third medal is up for grabs, with the US as frontrunners but not overwhelming ones. I think they may end up regretting their choice of pairs.

A key question is which countries will decide to make a serious play for this event and which might prefer to save their top skaters for the individual events a la Savchenko/Szolkowy.
    Ah. The ISU document (Communication 1839) does have Japan's pairs listed as "additional athletes." They might have been slotted that way before the Estonians and Popova/Massot removed themselves.

Yeah! Lets get this party started. enlight78's Avatar
    This has got me so excited, I wish the federations would announced who is going to skate the Team Event, I won't be surprise if they don't do it til Feb 5th

Quote Originally Posted by SamuraiKike View Post
    Japan announced it's team roster:

http://www.nikkansports.com/sochi201...1-1246921.html

Yuzuru Hanyu (SP), Tatsuki Machida (FS)
    Mao Asada (SP), Akiko Suzuki (FS)
    Narumi Takahashi & Ryuichi Kihara (SP+FS)
    Cathy Reed & Chris Reed (SD+FD)

Murakami's chances of olympic medal are gone. Dai needs to kill it at the individual event to get his second medal. If Japan pulls up to bronze the freaking Reeds will be olympic medallists, oh well.
    Wow, blows my mind, Never thought this would be their decision

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by enlight78 View Post
    I wonder if this information is still valid. Didn't every nation decide to wait until the Feb 5 deadline for the team event roster?

This is from BBC Sport http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/winter-olympics/25306073

National champion Matthew Parr (pictured above) has been chosen by governing body the National Ice Skating Association and the British Olympic Association.

The other GB skaters, who all earned individual qualification alongside a place in the team event, are Penny Coomes and Nick Buckland (ice dance), Stacey Kemp and David King (pairs) and Jenna McCorkell in the women's event.

Quote Originally Posted by seabm7 View Post
    I wonder if this information is still valid. Didn't every nation decide to wait until the Feb 5 deadline for the team event roster?
    Well Japan has no reason to hold off their announcement, they are not strong contenders for a Medal in the Team Event, and Dai and Kanako are both recovering from an injury, not surprise they would want to give them more rest, especially Dai going for GOLD and Kanako winning 4CC. Just thought Dai would do the short since he is there shining star and the short program wouldn't be that taxing on him.

Outdated Old Dinosaur
    Quote Originally Posted by seabm7 View Post
    Now don't quote me on this, because it is supposition.

I would imagine that the Feb 5 deadline applies to official submission of team rosters to the ISU or IOC.

There is nothing preventing the Japanese, or any other federation, announcing in advance their internal decision as to who to send. For that matter, there is nothing to prevent them from altering the roster before the official submission date.

leave no stone unturned seniorita's Avatar
    Wow Hanyu might get two medals in one week!

Medalist
    Quote Originally Posted by enlight78 View Post
    Why? What's wrong with it? It seems like a good plan to me. Though I still doubt they'll make it to the free skate.

Quote Originally Posted by Buttercup View Post
    I think (the U.S.) may end up regretting their choice of pairs.
    Probably so, but it would have been a crime to deny Zhang and Bartholomay, after their heart-thrilling performance at U.S. Nationals. Which would you rather have, a mere bronze medal or a thrilled heart?

(Strangely, the the only people in the building who were able to contain their joy were their coaches. )

http://www4.pictures.zimbio.com/gi/F...s8EhhwHkcm.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Nena View Post
    Why? What's wrong with it? It seems like a good plan to me. Though I still doubt they'll make it to the free skate.
    I thought Dai would do the Short, since he is such a big part of the Japan figure skating, but I do now see how it makes more since for him not to participate in the team event.

I'm gonna Customize the CRAP out of this Title!!! Frenchie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Frenchie View Post
    Seems to me that the decision to let the ordinals decide and not the addition of the total points goes towards what Cinquanta has been advocating for: more drama. Even if it's to the detriment of sporting criteria, which was one of the main reasons to implement the new post-6.0 scoring system.
    If 5 skaters' performances are virtually identical in the SP, why not award them with virtually the same marks and see how it goes?
    To me, that would be unsporting. In sports, you win…or you lose. Close doesn't count.
    I see what you mean, but shouldn't "Team" event suggest that it's the team's overall performance that should decide in the end? In Ski jumping, the team event is decided by adding each team member's points. Same with a relay, be it in Biathlon or Swimming: they don't do 4 separate races with a point system, but it's the added time of all the team that counts.
    What I mean is that the fear of "bombing" a competition should be similar to what it is in the individual event: you're far off the lead if you bomb.
    Concrete numerical example for the Mathman:
    Team A: 90+70+70+70 points after SP = 300 points
    Team B: 91+71+71+40 = 273 points
    I'd like Team A to be in the lead over Team B. With the points system as it is, team B is far ahead, if the category where Team B got only 40 points had some other teams score more than 70.

Quote Originally Posted by Frenchie View Post
    I see what you mean, but shouldn't "Team" event suggest that it's the team's overall performance that should decide in the end? In Ski jumping, the team event is decided by adding each team member's points. Same with a relay, be it in Biathlon or Swimming: they don't do 4 separate races with a point system, but it's the added time of all the team that counts.
    What I mean is that the fear of "bombing" a competition should be similar to what it is in the individual event: you're far off the lead if you bomb.
    This only works if you find a way to factor the scores so that a country that has an amazing lady will be on equal footing with a country that has an amazing man (where scores, and differences between scores, are potentially larger). Also you have to figure out how to account for the PCS, because these tend to be higher in some disciplines than others, and dance PCS are factored differently. And it introduces potential unfairness because judging panels can score relatively high or low, and just adding points favors countries who happen to be strong in the friendly-panel disciplines. Basically, you address one type of unfairness by creating others.

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast