Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Thread: Team Competition -- Who will win what medals?

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by TontoK View Post
    I also think you're right about Chan. He almost HAS to skate both programs for Canada to win.
    Yup. Unless Kevin pulls a 2013 4CC type performance (or 2013 Worlds SP with the second quad landed).

Celebrating the Excellence of #VirtueMoir golden411's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by samson View Post
    I just realized this event starts in a WEEK!!!!!

The Olympics are so close I really can't believe we don't have official rosters for this event yet.

Does anyone know when athletes start arriving to the village? I wonder how early in advance they're allowed to be there.
    Today was the first day of official figure skating practices in Sochi.

But as discussed elsewhere, the deadline for submitting rosters for the team skating event is not until Feb 5, the day before the team competition begins.

Forever stuck on those steps Li'Kitsu's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by pangtongfan
    Russia now has 70 points. Canada has 64. United States 64. Japan has 57. Italy 49.
    I agree with the majority of your predictions, and this really shows that Japan could have shot at a medal if one of the other teams falter. More than anything though, look at what an amazing team Japan would have had if Takahashi/Tran could have skated at the Olympics and wouldn't have had to split up. (And I'm still missing them...)

Maybe Canada will wait until after the SPs to decide which Men does the LP (or better to say think in advance of how to react to different scenarios). How does Plushenko look? What other teams are making the LP - Japan and China with strong men entries, or Italy with a weaker one? I'm really sad for Reynolds, after last years worlds he would have been a good contender for his team. Stupid boot problems.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by golden411 View Post
    Today was the first day of official figure skating practices in Sochi.

But as discussed elsewhere, the deadline for submitting rosters for the team skating event is not until Feb 5, the day before the team competition begins.
    aaaaah thank you! this close to the games it's sometimes difficult to read all the info and updates about the events etc... Much appreciated!!!

From what I've gathered from various reports, it sounds like Chan does NOT want to skate the LP at all but is probably going to be heavily pressured/guilted into doing so by his teammates/federation. I make a distinction because I think SC may value Chan's potential individual gold over the team gold, whereas the team (Moir in particular) really, really want that team gold. Ultimately, Chan will make his own decision and decide what he wants to do. With his track record, I could see him really beating himself up if he skated the SP and LP in the team event and then faltered in the individual. Does he really want to leave Sochi with so many "what if's"?.

Celebrating the Excellence of #VirtueMoir golden411's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by samson View Post
    Does anyone know when athletes start arriving to the village? I wonder how early in advance they're allowed to be there.
    The Olympic villages for the athletes opened today (Jan 30). (Three villages.) The Coastal Village will be home for the skaters, AFAIK.

Thank you, Pangtongfan, for an excellent post.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by golden411 View Post
    The Olympic villages for the athletes opened today (Jan 30). (Three villages.) The Coastal Village will be home for the skaters, AFAIK.
    I see green palm trees which can only be found in tropical area...is this Winter Games or Summer Games?

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by wallylutz View Post
    I see green palm trees which can only be found in tropical area...is this Winter Games or Summer Games?
    Iwas going to say it doesn't look very wintery

Quote Originally Posted by Gymfan15 View Post
    From what I've gathered from various reports, it sounds like Chan does NOT want to skate the LP at all but is probably going to be heavily pressured/guilted into doing so by his teammates/federation. I make a distinction because I think SC may value Chan's potential individual gold over the team gold, whereas the team (Moir in particular) really, really want that team gold. Ultimately, Chan will make his own decision and decide what he wants to do. With his track record, I could see him really beating himself up if he skated the SP and LP in the team event and then faltered in the individual. Does he really want to leave Sochi with so many "what if's"?.
    They better not pressure him to much, the guy needs to do what's best for Patrick in this circumstance. He's worked all his life for that men's title.

However....he may want to think how he'll feel if he doesn't do it and then he doesn't get gold in men's either.

Custom Title
    While the individual is more important, if you have two shots at gold and one of them is to get gold for your teammates then go for it. Chan is well trained enough to handle that. He will have 3 days to recuperate.

Banned
    After doing my rough breakdown I hope Chan is convinced to skate both programs. I now strongly believe Canada will lose the Team Gold if Reynolds skates the LP. They may lose it even with Chan skating both programs, but they need him in order to have a chance.

I hadn't thought of it like that, but I actually feel sorry for Patrick now. This is a very tricky decision. Any little may matter - even if he is only slightly more tired than some of his competitors in the individual, it may matter... This is one of these cases, where, no matter how he decides, he may end up wishing he'd done otherwise. And those kind of nerves added on top of all the other expectations can't be a good thing. Well, I hope he isn't affected by it, and that he knows what he wants, and sticks by that decision. Maybe I'm just projecting things onto him, and he isn't fazed by it at all.

Custom Title
    He isn't fazed by it. In part, because he is young. At this age, most guys feel like they are invincible, especially when you are a 3 times World Champion.

In fact, he doesn't understand why some people skip or moan about participating the Team Event. Of course, he is in a media blackout and unable to say more though this is not a secret at all.

Quote Originally Posted by wallylutz View Post
    He isn't fazed by it. In part, because he is young. At this age, most guys feel like they are invincible, especially when you are a 3 times World Champion.

In fact, he doesn't understand why some people skip or moan about participating the Team Event. Of course, he is in a media blackout and unable to say more though this is not a secret at all.
    Well, that's good to hear. Thank you.

Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast