Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Thread: Team Competition -- Who will win what medals?

Custom Title
    Actually, winning a medal in team competition might take from Chan a lot of the pressure in the individual competition. He will get also a confidence bust.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by aschiutza View Post
    Actually, winning a medal in team competition might take from Chan a lot of the pressure in the individual competition. He will get also a confidence bust.
    Agreed. And it'll give him a greater comfort level on the Russian ice and calm his nerves going into the individual.

If he performs well, it will give him confidence going into his individual competition and is good for Team Canada, if he performs poorly at least it won't have been in the individual competition - it's win-win.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by CanadianSkaterGuy View Post
    Agreed. And it'll give him a greater comfort level on the Russian ice and calm his nerves going into the individual.

If he performs well, it will give him confidence going into his individual competition and is good for Team Canada, if he performs poorly at least it won't have been in the individual competition - it's win-win.
    Agreed. So from all perspectives it makes more sense for him to do 2 programs and while I am not a Chan fan I want Team Canada to win gold or atleast make the best possible attempt at it, so hope he does both programs. I do understand if he does only 1 though, and it seems that is what is most likely to happen, but hopefully there will be a surprise and he does both.

It is funny I was initally hoping for Weaver & Poje to get involved but that was before I analyzed it closer. Ideally the only switch Team Canada might make is the pairs now that I looked at in more in depth. We really cant afford to be giving away any easy points.

Quote Originally Posted by pangtongfan View Post
    We really cant afford to be giving away any easy points.
    All teams are in this situation. I don't know why all the cat and mouse games. Go with your strongest team.

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~ Ladskater's Avatar
    So far I hear Canada is the favorite for Gold....hope so.

Yeah! Lets get this party started. enlight78's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ladskater View Post
    So far I hear Canada is the favorite for Gold....hope so.
    I wonder how W/P and Kevin will feel if they are left off the team event, and Canada wins gold. Will they feel proud and be fired up for the individual event or will they see as a loss chance to take home a medal. I hope it fires them up to get a medal of their own or give it all they got.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by enlight78 View Post
    I wonder how W/P and Kevin will feel if they are left off the team event, and Canada wins gold. Will they feel proud and be fired up for the individual event or will they see as a loss chance to take home a medal. I hope it fires them up to get a medal of their own or give it all they got.
    but they probably wouldn't win gold with w/p and kevin on the team anyway so its a moo point

Here is an interesting article on Icenetwork about the Team Event, and selection process for the US http://web.icenetwork.com/news/2014/...pic-team-event

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by hyperinflation View Post
    but they probably wouldn't win gold with w/p and kevin on the team anyway so its a moo point
    Lol exactly. If Kevin is on the team, kiss gold goodbye. Now, I genuinely like Kevin (he was outstanding at times last year), but he lacks experience this year. He was a mess at nationals.

Custom Title
    I agree about Kevin. he should not be invited to skate for the sake of a medal. I know somewhere someone thought this was unfair. But it is up to Skate Canada and Kevin would be a huge wildcard this year not having been able to skate much competitively. Last year he was fifth in the world's but he might not even make the top 10 this year - it is not like he should have been expecting an olympic medal. In fact such as life on each team for the most part other there will be some lucky skater who probably didn't have a chance for a medal for it were not for the team event ie. if Japan or Italy win a medal someone as mean as this sound will get a free ride ie the dance team in Japan and pairs in Japan or in Italy the male skater. For USA the pairs would probably be the skaters who lucked out.The US team if you believe what we have heard is allowing their top ranking team or skater to choose if they skate in one or both events (sp/fs). I hope the top ranking pair team whoever the Committee decided allows the other pair team to skate one event too - because they are so close and on any day either could beat the other and really they should count their lucky stars they are going to get a medal.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Skater Boy View Post
    The US team if you believe what we have heard is allowing their top ranking team or skater to choose if they skate in one or both events (sp/fs). I hope the top ranking pair team whoever the Committee decided allows the other pair team to skate one event too - because they are so close and on any day either could beat the other and really they should count their lucky stars they are going to get a medal.
    If you look at Z&B's versus C&S's scores internationally, this isn't the case. There were less than 3 points at Nats between a perfect Z&B (literally the absolute best they could do) and C&S with some small errors and a fall. Marissa and Simon have bigger elements, are faster and have a more sophisticated quality and programs that should be reflected in PCS. Because neither team is in the medal hunt, I think USFS made the right choice by not splitting them.

I am however a fan of Felicia and Nate and thrilled that they skated lights out at Nats and triumpled over politics and (over)hype of D&C to make the team. I hope they have a wonderful Olympic experience and stick around.

On the Ice
    I think Skate Canada prefers a gold medal in the men's event than a gold medal in the team event. They want Patrick to have enough time to rest in between events. I think it was his decision.

Custom Title
    What about Team Japan? If they are perfect in the singles maybe they can get medal.

Banned
    so is the vibe of this thing going to be like wtt or is it just going to be like an individual event and they just add all the scores up later?

I think there is going to be a lot more serious and pressure than WTT, especially for Russia

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast